Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #14,537 of 22,954
No thats right the bass seems light and less punchy i found when you finally get a good seal, if you havent put them in correctly the sub-bass is non-existant due to a bad seal...

The bass is not as powerful as the medium stock olives, but the highs are crystal clear...

But However...

It may be a case of different ear canals not getting on with the spinfits seal, you might be a lucky one, you will have to keep us updated when your CP800 Spinfits arrive and let us know your thoughts...

I'm still trying different size spinfits in each ear to find the bass/sub-bass some people crave...

Thankyou for reading...

Jaydeb2010

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #14,538 of 22,954
My latest determination in regards to how the Spinfits seal and sound, is that it's going to be dependent on how stiff the memory wire is on your cable. With my Litz cable the fit and seal is perfect and the SQ is improved across the entire range. When I switched to one of the stock cables, I noticed immediately that they weren't sealing correctly. I suspect that the stiffness of the wire wouldn't allow the tips to fit the same way that I was used to with the Litz cable which apparently was less stiff.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #14,539 of 22,954
  My latest determination in regards to how the Spinfits seal and sound, is that it's going to be dependent on how stiff the memory wire is on your cable. With my Litz cable the fit and seal is perfect and the SQ is improved across the entire range. When I switched to one of the stock cables, I noticed immediately that they weren't sealing correctly. I suspect that the stiffness of the wire wouldn't allow the tips to fit the same way that I was used to with the Litz cable which apparently was less stiff.

Do you recommend people with the stock cable and CP800 Spinfits to do the memory wire removal mod then?

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #14,540 of 22,954
I can't recommend anything to anyone. YMMV

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #14,542 of 22,954

I can't recommend anything to anyone. YMMV

Thats a fair comment... OK then do you recommend the Silver Litz Cable as a decent upgrade to the stock...

How well would it fair with the Chord Mojo?

I think he already did. If you like masculine sound add some copper fusion to type 4 litz. however not all cables are created equal in my testing

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #14,543 of 22,954
  Thats a fair comment... OK then do you recommend the Silver Litz Cable as a decent upgrade to the stock...

How well would it fair with the Chord Mojo?

"I" feel that a good quality Silver Litz cable is absolutely necessary in "my rig." Let me try to explain it this way. With the Litz cable I'm running the modded Blue inserts right now. When I got the stock Blue's last week and immediately installed them, the SQ went from absolute exquisite clarity and an expanded sound stage, to sounding like a regular what you would expect recording. Good...but somewhat flat. Swapping back to the mods...I was back to that Holy Crap this sounds good impression. Hold on to that thought.
I grabbed one of my stock cables and swapped it in place of the Reference Silver Litz cable from Headphone Lounge. The difference in sound was comparable if not identical to the difference I hear when I swapped out the modded Blue insert with a stock one, I hope that provides kind of a reference that folks can understand.

As far as SQ with the Mojo...I can't answer that. I was in a spot when I was spending money of "something," and the way that the SQ scale progressed between three pieces of gear was explained to me, I didn't buy one...instead going the QP1R route.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #14,544 of 22,954

Hmmm... they've arrived.

First impressions straight out of the box. Very dark, lacking the sparkle and detail of the Etys I'm used to. I've taken the foam out of the blue filters, and it still sounds very smoothed/veiled to my ears. I'd try the white filters, but the ones that came are missing one of the acoustic inserts (the brown stuff you can see in the end). I'll have to get in touch with the vendor, hopefully I won't have to send the whole lot back.

Bass-led music is much better than through my ER-4s as you would expect. I could listen to anything through these without it getting tiring, whereas with the ER-4's I had to choose my music. On the other hand, more intricate acoustic tracks are definitely less enjoyable.

I'll give them some burn-in time, and try and get hold of the white filters. Hopefully I'll be able to tailor them to my liking.

Hi,

I moved from ER-4's as well. I had the exact same reaction. Very veiled. I moved to the white filters and haven't looked back. I did also notice a big increase in quality after a few hours of listening. Not just my head adjusting but the sound-stage opening up giving space to the music.

I'd now say mine beat the ER-4's in details / clarity with the added bonus of that lush mid and amazing lower end.

Get the whites, you'll like them.

ER-4S's treble is just evil - very natural and flat, without any audible dips or peaks in my ears. Especially its middle treble is spot-on where most other in-ears show a relaxation dip for better long-term listening without fatigue. Sometimes that relaxation dip is bit too much, making the sound too smooth, too laid-back.
Never really liked the blue filters with the SE846, jumped straight to the whites. Yep, that's way better and the relaxation dip around 5 kHz is less distinctive, but still there.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #14,546 of 22,954
My 846 are still coming in the mail, but previous comment made me worried.

Is the hissing bad? I would be using LG V10.

EDIT: Do you even hear the hiss when playing music generally or is just when it's quiet or no music at all?

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #14,547 of 22,954
My 846 are still coming in the mail, but previous comment made me worried.

Is the hissing bad? I would be using LG V10.

EDIT: Do you even hear the hiss when playing music generally or is just when it's quiet or no music at all?

Hissing is pretty bad with note 5, even dx80 has some hiss, thr lowest hiss (almost unaudiable) is thr mojo

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #14,549 of 22,954
This makes me wonder should I just return them, sigh.

Just wait and see what you think, when hiss is present, few can hear it while. Music actually playing, I suggest you download a flac file of a true blank track and test hiss that way, se846 are sensitive, but they put out sensitive sound that you will appreciate

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #14,550 of 22,954
Hissing is pretty bad with note 5, even dx80 has some hiss, thr lowest hiss (almost unaudiable) is thr mojoI 

I am currently using...

SE846 ----> Modded Blue Filters ---> Medium Black Olives ---> Chord Mojo ---> Note 3 ---> USB Audio Player PRO...

Confirming almost unaudiable Hiss...  

When you listen to your music collection and all of a sudden the music gets really quiet the hiss is forgotten about...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back