Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #14,491 of 22,945
Hi,

I'm about 2 weeks into owning my SE846's now.
Really loving them. I've tried the blue filters, then the blue mod filters but to me the whites are far clearer and more to my liking.

My source is an iPhone 6S playing Apple Lossless, which sounds pretty amazing to me. I wanted a really fun, great sounding portable rig.

My question is I keep seeing reference to the Silver Litz cable. Will I notice much if any improvement over the stock cable with my setup or is that reserved for higher end dacs / amps / players?

Regards,
Simon

Base on my experience i feel clear difference between silver vs stock cable. If you use silver cable it will add more detail/mucicality and more clear deep bass.
Becos i also have ip6 and se846.
But i use silver dragon(http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cable-shure-earphones-v1.html)
So if you use silver cable i suggest you to use white filter. This combination awsome.. You can try my friend...
But if you use dac you will see more difference(in my case i use mojo)

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #14,492 of 22,945
Base on my experience i feel clear difference between silver vs stock cable. If you use silver cable it will add more detail/mucicality and more clear deep bass.
Becos i also have ip6 and se846.
But i use silver dragon(http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cable-shure-earphones-v1.html)
So if you use silver cable i suggest you to use white filter. This combination awsome.. You can try my friend...
But if you use dac you will see more difference(in my case i use mojo)

Is the dragon silver better than headphonelounge's reference silver litz ?

As a side note, after fiddling with all the tips, including Westone star and the medium stock gray silicone being of the best sound quality to my ears (formerly), I removed the wax guard from the shure olives and the sound changed quite noticeably. Much better detail retrieval, and those modded olives now top all other tips. Well, maybe until I receive the spinfit CP-800s. I thought I'd just say this.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #14,493 of 22,945
As far as purchasing a cable is concerned, it is now down to either the Reference Silver Litz cable from headphone lounge or the Dragon V1 Silver cable from moon-audio (http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cable-shure-earphones-v1.html). For folks who've tried both, I would like to get impressions of which is superior in terms of both comfort and sound quality, and how they compare in both respects to the stock cable.
The more the details the better !   

Thank you so much for the help.

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #14,494 of 22,945
  As far as purchasing a cable is concerned, it is now down to either the Reference Silver Litz cable from headphone lounge or the Dragon V1 Silver cable from moon-audio (http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cable-shure-earphones-v1.html). For folks who've tried both, I would like to get impressions of which is superior in terms of both comfort and sound quality, and how they compare in both respects to the stock cable.
The more the details the better !   

Thank you so much for the help.

+1 on this. I'm ready to drop cash on one or the other as well. From the reviews I've read they both seem to be pretty amazing.
Anyone tried both?

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #14,495 of 22,945
Hi,

I'm currently on the white filters and have also tried the mod blues.
I keep reading that the whites loose some bass. Is that true?

To my ears the whites really add a lot of details and clarity whereas the blues with mod still sound a little muddy.

Could my problem be the tips I'm using?

I guess what I'm saying is that most people seem to say the blue mod adds the details and clarity of the whites but keep the bass. I'm not really hearing that at the moment.

Regards,
Simon

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #14,496 of 22,945
  Hi,

To my ears the whites really add a lot of details and clarity whereas the blues with mod still sound a little muddy.

I guess what I'm saying is that most people seem to say the blue mod adds the details and clarity of the whites but keep the bass. I'm not really hearing that at the moment.

Regards,
Simon

You hear what you hear, they hear what they hear. No ones right, no ones wrong. You get ideas and try, thats all. Chances are your tips are just fine. also give it time, i liked whites at first, then had to go back to blues, then modded blues, then back to blues

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #14,497 of 22,945
Hi,

Regards,
Simon

As i inform you earlier , if you use silver cable , with white filter you will get hear more bass than with stock cable.that is why i told you white filter plus silver cable is very good combination.
By the way you can try comply p series form tip. For me those are far better.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #14,498 of 22,945
Hey guys, I just received my SE846s. The packaging I got seemed a little different from what I'm seeing in some unboxing videos. The foam olive tips came in a plastic tube instead of in the zip lock bag and the plastic covering over the tube extractor tool is taped closed (rather haphazardly) with some office tape. Also, there is dust and scratches on the clear plastic Shure case and sound tube container. Is this normal? 

The box was sealed when I got it (though I supposed it could have been opened and glued shut again). The quality of the packaging is lower than what I'd expect for $1000 and I'm inclined to get an exchange if the package I got was used or tampered with.

Sound-wise, they're pretty good (coming from Sony XBA-3s, they're a big upgrade). The memory wire on the cable is really uncomfortable for me though. Any recommendations for a cheap-ish (~$100) memory-wire-less replacement cable?

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #14,502 of 22,945
  Hey guys, I just received my SE846s. The packaging I got seemed a little different from what I'm seeing in some unboxing videos. The foam olive tips came in a plastic tube instead of in the zip lock bag and the plastic covering over the tube extractor tool is taped closed (rather haphazardly) with some office tape. Also, there is dust and scratches on the clear plastic Shure case and sound tube container. Is this normal? 

The box was sealed when I got it (though I supposed it could have been opened and glued shut again). The quality of the packaging is lower than what I'd expect for $1000 and I'm inclined to get an exchange if the package I got was used or tampered with.

Sound-wise, they're pretty good (coming from Sony XBA-3s, they're a big upgrade). The memory wire on the cable is really uncomfortable for me though. Any recommendations for a cheap-ish (~$100) memory-wire-less replacement cable?

No, it's not normal. Sounds like you have a second hand pair they have packaged back up.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #14,503 of 22,945
Well, I've just taken the plunge and ordered a pair of 846's.

I've had a long, passionate and fruitful relationship with a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ps up until this point - they've served me well for nearly 15 years without repair or modification. They're still going strong and they still utterly astound me from time to time - for certain songs and genres I simply can't imagine anything sounding better. I've occasionally wandered, but always came back to them like a comfort blanket. I never found them cold or brash, except for the times I managed to fail to get a good seal. I maintain anybody who finds them too harsh didn't (or couldn't due to ear canal shape) get the seal right.

Time moves on though, and it's time for an upgrade. I'll be open-minded, as I'm hoping that the 846 will become my go-to IEM. I'm listening on a Chord Mojo attached to a Galaxy S6, and listen pretty much exclusively to 44.1/16 FLAC, either stored or streamed through Tidal. In terms of genres, I listen to a huge range, from folk to classical to electronica (I imagine most self-proclaimed audiophiles are similar, we just love music full-stop!). When I get a phone with expandable storage, I might start exploring Hi Def audio, but that's for another time.

I've already booked an appointment to get some custom Snugs ear molds made - I take my breaks at a power station, where there is an ever-present 50Hz hum - and besides, I love isolation. I'm also exploring my cable choices at the moment.

Are the OEM cables decent, or should I expect a noticeable improvement from a custom cable? Also, is anybody running ER-4Ps and SE846s side by side, who cares to give me a brief comparison? I'm sure the comparison has been made a million times before, but the search tool on this website isn't fantastic.

Excited.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #14,504 of 22,945
Dhc cables were noticable improvement. Soft and flexible. But that's in the area of the margins but at this level, folks may be a happy with that little bit better clarity, thump, or seperation. But they are expensive and have excruciatingly long wait times.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #14,505 of 22,945
Dhc cables were noticable improvement. Soft and flexible. But that's in the area of the margins but at this level, folks may be a happy with that little bit better clarity, thump, or seperation. But they are expensive and have excruciatingly long wait times.

I would love to get some higher quality cables someday, but they never seem to be made unbreakable. My job is physical with 8-10 hour a day listening there will be wear and tear so I guess I will be phlebbing away with my default cables. They better be good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back