Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #14,461 of 22,943
  I don't understand you comment? The rubber washer is not a critical part. I lost one a long time ago and it never mattered as long as the threaded collar screws down tight. It is just a simple removable rubber washer and it can be bought from Shure parts or gotten at your local hardware store. 

I had this conversation with Shure just yesterday, and confirmed it less than a minute ago. They do not sell the "Nozzle Interface Seals" and the earbuds need to be sent in. However...I do agree that these seals could probably be found at a brick & mortar electronics shop.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #14,462 of 22,943
Thanks for that. Jeez. Well as you may know had an itch to get something but just sticking with 846, its just too good for me. 2 years and maybe if something fails one year it will be something to consider, but phone, hugo, kse, is a lot to lug around.
How do you digital line from iPod to mojo, the cck from my phone to micro usb on the hugo bugs me. fickle connection.

I agree the Hugo substituted for the Mojo in my chain would be too large to be called portable. I use the Lavricable connection between my iPod Touch and the Mojo and have a Fiio L-19 cable on order as well.

As for fickle connection using the Apple CCK, after reading others' complaints on the Mojo thread I believe the problem lies with poor quality control with the Apple CCK as I occasionally use mine and have had no problems in 4 months.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #14,463 of 22,943
I had this conversation with Shure just yesterday, and confirmed it less than a minute ago. They do not sell the "Nozzle Interface Seals" and the earbuds need to be sent in. However...I do agree that these seals could probably be found at a brick & mortar electronics shop.

Could you tell me exactly what kind/type those seals are so I would know what to buy?My guess is something like a silicone/rubber type but im not so sure.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #14,465 of 22,943
I tried the spinfits, both medium and largest size. Only one side is isolated and my other ear has terrible isolation, with sound leaking. Maybe my ears are just deformed. :frowning2:  I needed to push behind my ear to get the largest size spinfit to fully isolate. Otherwise they were super comfy, too bad I can't use them.

Had to go back to using the comply foam tips I was using before.

Yeah I didn't get on with the spinfits either. Gone back to the shure "olives"

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #14,466 of 22,943
Could you tell me exactly what kind/type those seals are so I would know what to buy?My guess is something like a silicone/rubber type but im not so sure.

It is just a rubber lock washer. Nothing special. It has nothing to do with the sound or performance of the earpiece. It is there to ensure that the nozzle is firmly locked in place which is the general purpose of any lock washer. Even having lost one of mine long ago I never felt the need to replace it as it has never caused a problem. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #14,467 of 22,943
Thanks! Can I ask how silver affects the sound relative to the stock cables ? And how is it compared to copper ?

Honestly, I would shoot an email to Ted at HL and ask any questions that you may have. I know that he does copper as well. I think that it's a pretty safe bet to assume that anyone with only one after market cable will post kudo's for that cable. I only have the one. However...I'm still hopeful that Whazzzup will just send me his Dual Helix Fusion 8 Braid.  
biggrin.gif

On another note, I tried the stock Blue filters that arrived yesterday with my QP1R. The airiness of the SQ that I heard with the modded Blues completely disappeared. The stock Blues sounded better with the new DAP than I remember with the X5/E12A combo. But it sounded like a recording. I did a (real) quick swap to the Blue mods and listened to the same tracks again, and the sound was literally like night and day.

Mar 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #14,468 of 22,943
Coming up on three months waiting for my c4 with silver 3d printed y split, ya got to have some bling with double helix silver litz type 4, for my hd800s. You have to have patience of a buddah but its worth it. Plus a second mortgage :yum:

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #14,469 of 22,943
Honestly, I would shoot an email to Ted at HL and ask any questions that you may have. I know that he does copper as well. I think that it's a pretty safe bet to assume that anyone with only one after market cable will post kudo's for that cable. I only have the one. However...I'm still hopeful that Whazzzup will just send me his Dual Helix Fusion 8 Braid.   :D  

On another note, I tried the stock Blue filters that arrived yesterday with my QP1R. The airiness of the SQ that I heard with the modded Blues completely disappeared. The stock Blues sounded better with the new DAP than I remember with the X5/E12A combo. But it sounded like a recording. I did a (real) quick swap to the Blue mods and listened to the same tracks again, and the sound was literally like night and day.

Ted recommended the Reference Silver Litz. I'm afraid that it would reduces the quantity of the bass or make the sound thinner, given it's silver. Also, it seems that Ted doesn't accept returns in case I don't like it, so I have doubts ...

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #14,471 of 22,943
Just to be clear,are there one or two foams inside the blue nozzles? When i did the blue filter mod,im pretty sure there where Just one foam inside.but i have read here That it is two foams pr nozzles.

Mine had 2. I took out both. I think I herd others may have had 1.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #14,472 of 22,943
Ted recommended the Reference Silver Litz. I'm afraid that it would reduces the quantity of the bass or make the sound thinner, given it's silver. Also, it seems that Ted doesn't accept returns in case I don't like it, so I have doubts ...

Actually, I (and others) immediately found the bass to be faster and punchier. One of the problems of getting opinions on the web, is that everybody will have a different one. Perhaps you could check out the For Sale section of the forum for a cable.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #14,473 of 22,943
Honestly, I would shoot an email to Ted at HL and ask any questions that you may have. I know that he does copper as well. I think that it's a pretty safe bet to assume that anyone with only one after market cable will post kudo's for that cable. I only have the one. However...I'm still hopeful that Whazzzup will just send me his Dual Helix Fusion 8 Braid.   :D  

The assertation that silver does not conduct bass I have heard maybe misleading. I can not speak for Ted cables. However there is truth that different metals conduct differently like silver, copper, and gold, or combos thereof. The flavour may change between them, but if the tune calls for thump, ones dac amp is properly interpreting this, ones iem's have the capability of transmitting that, silver will be a conduit of this.
Now in my case, at this point, I have only had experience with silver copper hybrids from alo and double helix. I just felt the 846 needed some copper for masculinity of sq. For me dhc won out in sq and overall build as well. My first foray into pure silver type 4 litz will be with my new hd800s, when the notorious production at dhc catches up with my order. I will have a direct comparison at that point, but other users have assured me that c4 will have all the bass that is there.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #14,474 of 22,943
Also, it seems that Ted doesn't accept returns in case I don't like it, so I have doubts ...

If you were to purchase an off the shelf cable from a retailer, you may be able to return it if not satisfied most likely with a restocking fee. But if you have a custom cable built up by any seller to your liking...I wouldn't plan on being able to return it for refund if you don't like it. Hence...cables being sold in the For Sale section of the forum.

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #14,475 of 22,943
Now that it's pretty much confirmed that the next iPhone will come with no headphone jack, how do you plan on using these earphones with it? Do you think Shure will make a wire with a lightning jack instead of the headphone jack or will we need an adapter instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back