Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #14,476 of 22,942
Now that it's pretty much confirmed that the next iPhone will come with no headphone jack, how do you plan on using these earphones with it? Do you think Shure will make a wire with a lightning jack instead of the headphone jack or will we need an adapter instead?

My guess is that Apple will have Lightning to 3.5mm adapters available for purchase the same time that the iPhone 7 is available for purchase.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #14,478 of 22,942
Is that even confirmed though?  A leaked case is hardly evidence of the phone actually being released without a 3.5mm jack.

That said, it's hardly something I would even care about.  I don't have an iPhone (never liked them) and I hardly use my phones as portable players now.  The only time I use them to play music is to stream Bluetooth to my car head unit.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #14,479 of 22,942
Nothing's confirmed, but there are an awful lot of rumors about no more 3.5 mm headphone socket on future iPhones. It's looking like a slam dunk, unfortunately. I'm fairly certain moedawg is right about there being a dongle you'll be able to buy (at the usual premium Apple prices!) so that your existing headphones will still work. I think what's really going to bug me is the keynote where Apple will tell us all how much better our audio is going to sound once we've replaced our existing headphones with the new, all-digital, high-bandwidth, extended frequency-response lightning-equipped Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. In various forums I've see many naive people already falling for that one. Since lightning is an Apple-proprietary device that requires manufacturers pay a license fee, it's hard to see this ever replacing the 3.5 mm plug & socket as the new standard, so this move is going to create a giant fractured mess. A bit like the current state of US politics.

I guess the options are:

1) Replace your SE846 with some Beats headphones that will come with a lightning plug. :scream:
2) Stick with your existing iPhone and never ever upgrade it. That'd probably work for a year or two...

If you need to occasionally use headphones with your phone (probably most of us do, even if our DAPs are our main audio source), then you could:

3) Buy the Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter/dongle for $39.99 and carry it with you everywhere.
4) Buy a different phone.

I know some people are really excited about losing the 3.5 mm socket, because the iPhone 7 can then be 0.001 mm thinner, which is obviously very important. Sure, the battery life might suffer a bit, but probably the battery already lasts a bit too long in the current iPhone anyway :wink:

I've recently been losing faith in Apple. I bought myself a Galaxy S7 Edge this week (never used Android before - I've owned every iPhone since the 3GS). It's early days and perhaps I'll eat humble pie and go running back to iOS at some point, but so far so good... I have no intention of buying the iPhone 7.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #14,481 of 22,942
Get an android,.... Lol

Haha I was really resisting the urge to post that. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #14,484 of 22,942
As a consumer, i'm totally allergic to this type of commercial behaviour.

I feel trapped.  

(message sent form an macbook air)

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #14,485 of 22,942
Hi,

I'm about 2 weeks into owning my SE846's now.
Really loving them. I've tried the blue filters, then the blue mod filters but to me the whites are far clearer and more to my liking.

My source is an iPhone 6S playing Apple Lossless, which sounds pretty amazing to me. I wanted a really fun, great sounding portable rig.

My question is I keep seeing reference to the Silver Litz cable. Will I notice much if any improvement over the stock cable with my setup or is that reserved for higher end dacs / amps / players?

Regards,
Simon

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #14,487 of 22,942
Nothing's confirmed, but there are an awful lot of rumors about no more 3.5 mm headphone socket on future iPhones. It's looking like a slam dunk, unfortunately. I'm fairly certain moedawg is right about there being a dongle you'll be able to buy (at the usual premium Apple prices!) so that your existing headphones will still work. I think what's really going to bug me is the keynote where Apple will tell us all how much better our audio is going to sound once we've replaced our existing headphones with the new, all-digital, high-bandwidth, extended frequency-response lightning-equipped Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. In various forums I've see many naive people already falling for that one. Since lightning is an Apple-proprietary device that requires manufacturers pay a license fee, it's hard to see this ever replacing the 3.5 mm plug & socket as the new standard, so this move is going to create a giant fractured mess. A bit like the current state of US politics.

I guess the options are:

1) Replace your SE846 with some Beats headphones that will come with a lightning plug. :scream:

2) Stick with your existing iPhone and never ever upgrade it. That'd probably work for a year or two...

If you need to occasionally use headphones with your phone (probably most of us do, even if our DAPs are our main audio source), then you could:

3) Buy the Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter/dongle for $39.99 and carry it with you everywhere.

4) Buy a different phone.

I know some people are really excited about losing the 3.5 mm socket, because the iPhone 7 can then be 0.001 mm thinner, which is obviously very important. Sure, the battery life might suffer a bit, but probably the battery already lasts a bit too long in the current iPhone anyway :wink:

I've recently been losing faith in Apple. I bought myself a Galaxy S7 Edge this week (never used Android before - I've owned every iPhone since the 3GS). It's early days and perhaps I'll eat humble pie and go running back to iOS at some point, but so far so good... I have no intention of buying the iPhone 7.

There's always the option of using portable amp/dac with or without 3.5 port :grin:

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #14,488 of 22,942
After doing lot of research finally i were able to setup my rig as follows:
SE846 (with white filter) + Iphone 6s + chord mojo + moon audio silver dragon cable

Awesome sound ..... I feel sound come from heaven...
I use apple cck .
So for me no issue with ip7 as well....

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #14,489 of 22,942
There are times I don't want a dac amp Hugo or even the compact vamp verza, the phone would be useful. I will get the seven sooooo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back