Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #12,016 of 22,954
Ditto for hugo dhc cable and blue filters

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #12,017 of 22,954
Hey guys. I ordered a Teac ha-p50 off amazon. They had one b stock for cheap and I bought it.

First off I can say it works wonders with the 846 and Spotify. First thing I noticed was a improved sound stage over my conputers sound card or phone. Very happy. It also charges my phone while I use it.

Also what happens when we hit page 846. Does this thread collapse in on itself and spawn a wallet eating monster ?

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #12,019 of 22,954
Also what happens when we hit page 846. Does this thread collapse in on itself and spawn a wallet eating monster ?

LOL I certainly hope so.

I'm out at a hotel and housekeeping came in while I was out, my 846's (which were on the bed) were gently wrapped up and sitting on the nightstand. Yes, Marriott, well done. You will be getting a tip.

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #12,020 of 22,954
  I will start this by saying I am not a cable guy. I have never supported the theory that different cables make a significant difference in sound quality. That all changed when I got into iem's. I have owned some of the finest full size headphones out there. Cable changes in those made subjective small differences to my ears. Then came my plunge into iem's and I discovered that cables with iem's can make a huge difference. I can only attribute this to the the very low impedance of most iem's. When I first got the 8's I also found their soundstage lacking. Then I ordered a set of solid silver cables for them and the sound stage opened dramatically. I suggest trying different cables and you may very well get where you are trying to go. You will also need a source with less than 1 ohm output for the best possible results.

Thanks I will definitely try that. Which cables do you recommend?
Most likely he is focused all on the bass he doesnt notice anything else. Usually one can remove the bass to increase the sound stage. Many after market cables can do that.

Some clarification here: I actually was surprised by the bass in the most positive way. I really like it but sometimes its just too much (blue filters) but with whites or no filters the bass is pretty much how I like it. Mids are awesome (specially love female vocals), everything sounds very natural and well defined/precise, not dry/tiny at all and that is very very good. Probably it was very unfair to compare the soundstage of se846 to HD700, or even to Denon D600.
  Everyone gets thrown off by the bass at first, and the fact is if removing the bass makes the soundstage improve... then you weren't really hearing much soundstage in those other cases. Just... less bass. 

I see that a lot around here. When it comes to treble, people hear headphones with insane treble spikes as crystal, detailed, sparkly, clear, delicate, etc etc etc. But a bass bump is "Beats-like, muddy, flabby, loose." 

Think of it like this: if you were to put a set of floor speakers in a room, then add a subwoofer, the sub didn't magically make the other speakers fly in towards you. It's just going to sound different because, gasp, there's bass! 

Let your ears adjust. I popped the little plastic dampener out of my blues and I think that's about the sweet spot, I know others take everything out of the blacks and a few crazy folks go full afterburner (no filter at all), but that's what I've liked. If the bass is WAY too much, the Shure yellow foams help tamp that down a good bit.

Now after more time with se846 and after trying different filter and tips I have settled on white filters and olives (just sound better to me than others, the worst of all were triple flanges - sound was somewhat subdued and without bass). Toning down the bass worked good to improve soundstage, however Sony XBA-3´s soundstage was notcieably wider, wasn´t expecting that (but that was the only thing XBA-3 did slightly better in my opinion).
As for now I have no doubt that Se 846 are better than se535 in every way (mids seem to be a little more forward on the se535), sony XBA-3, B&W C5, and are much better than Senns Momentum, HD 558 and Fidelio X1 (sounds very muddy compared to shure). They sound noticeably more hmm.. natural/correct/realistic than Denon D600 and in my personal opinion they like an improved D600 but with less soundstage and somewhat cut off treble. About treble: in my opinion it´s their weakest point. Theble is good offcourse but not well extended which is noticeable when compared to Denon (and HD700). I am probably a treble head because I constantly EQ up 7khz +2DB and 8khz +4db and that on HD700.

Each day I like se846 more and more, I only wish they had better treble extension and wider soundstage (perhaps somwhere in near future se957 will fix that with one extra driver).

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #12,021 of 22,954
Look at double helix cables

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #12,023 of 22,954
The se846 logo is not spose to shift and move when the nozel is moved right??? Maybe this is why my 846 been sounding off lately. if im having this problem maybe other are. at first I notice that when I tighten the nozel I could still put my finger nail around the edge which indicated it wast tight enough but it was, then I wiggled the nozel to make sure if it was screwed on good and that whole part of the internal started slightly shifting and I checked again and the shift was more obvious, this is happing on both the left and right side

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #12,024 of 22,954
  +1, I used to be able to hear a very, very light imbalance to the left on some songs (and I'm being very, very picky) with my ER-4PT, which have accurately matched drivers. It might be my right ear being less sensible, or actually the shape of my right ear not allowing me to push the Shure olive as deep as I'd want to, or placebo effect, or the song itself that was recorded that way, or your source doing some sort of a trick, or... you name it.

Well actually in my case I have ear conducts of *slightly* different shapes. Seems that I could correct the almost undetectable unbalance by changing the way I insert the foam into my right ear. Many factors come into account you know. But sometimes I tell myself "just enjoy the bloody music instead on focusing on little insignificant things" haha. Maybe that issue was just an illusion after all, maybe it's only a psychological thing (I'm sure it is), I can be so maniac about things sometimes.

Ps. this reminds me of a friend of mine who gets mad because the length of his suit's sleeves differ by 4mm. He's very picky about clothing and style and stuff, and he just couldn't get over it. But hell, he looked dashing in that suit, why did he make such a fuss about it?

i do the same but its difficult for me to stop  and focus on the music some what, especaily if I already heard what the iem are capable of at their best. so anytime my iem are not sounding at there best all the time it bothers me

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #12,025 of 22,954
Seems I'm back to the white filter and I think I'll stick to this filter.

The blue filter works great with the Chord hugo, but it just sounds bad with my iPhone 5S. But the white filter sounds good on both devices, so I guess the white filter is the best all-rounder. (in the summer when it's hot I leave the Chord Hugo at home mostly)

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #12,027 of 22,954
  Still greatly enjoying my SE846's performance with the new Virus cable by Toxic... I couldn't tell you where the most improvement comes since it is a balanced cable - although my favorite before this for critical listening with the 8's was my balanced Reference Copper Litz by Ted - portable listening I like the ALO SXC 8 - just playing around with sources, signals and materials has brought these bad boys to new heights...

This must be similar to the DHC described before as it has litz silver and copper wire together, but separated.... barber pole style.

Hi Ivabign,
I hope you can help or anyone else that wants to chime in. I'm using Ted's Silver Litz, but thinking about going copper. Did you have the ALO SXC 8 with metal MMCX? Any issues with this?
How about any copper discoloration with Ted's Copper Litz?

You mentioned preferring the ALO for portability? Can you elaborate?

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #12,028 of 22,954
I recomend double helix cables, copper fusion silver type 4 litz 8 braid over sxc8. Better feel, quality and sound. Deeper bass and clarity. If you search my history i have photos of both. Sxc8 crimps and tangles over time. Not knocking those that have sxc8 but seriously, dhc wins. More expensive and long wait is the tradeoff. Some folks wont spend or wait, fair enough.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #12,029 of 22,954
  Hi Ivabign,
I hope you can help or anyone else that wants to chime in. I'm using Ted's Silver Litz, but thinking about going copper. Did you have the ALO SXC 8 with metal MMCX? Any issues with this?
How about any copper discoloration with Ted's Copper Litz?

You mentioned preferring the ALO for portability? Can you elaborate?

Is this the reference Silver Litz? Is it to bright for your taste that you are looking for a copper one?

I recomend double helix cables, copper fusion silver type 4 litz 8 braid over sxc8. Better feel, quality and sound. Deeper bass and clarity. If you search my history i have photos of both. Sxc8 crimps and tangles over time. Not knocking those that have sxc8 but seriously, dhc wins. More expensive and long wait is the tradeoff. Some folks wont spend or wait, fair enough.

Is this a combination of copper and silver in one cable? What do you think about symbiote and complement flagship cables they offer?

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #12,030 of 22,954
If you go to their site and under iem cables you will see the 5 options. I chose the copper silver litz fusion option. Imo i want a little copper for low end but some silver litz only owners say they have plenty. I have not used dhc for my th900 and went with lawtons black scorpian. I would not hesitate to use dhc for other cans in the future. So i cant comment on compliment or spore etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back