Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #12,046 of 22,960
I agree with the above posts and the importance order of Chris.I will go one step further and say that once you buy  your high end iem you should look not only for a very good dap but a dap that compliments the strong points and the signature of the particular iem.The fairy dust that we call synergy and you feel that everything clicks is also an important factor.For example the Cayin N6 is magical with ie800 not so good with se846.On the other hand the se846 excels with sony daps because they accenuate the bass drums and cymbals which is strong point of the shure signature while providing musicality and very good bass punch.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #12,048 of 22,960

I'm going on 2 months with Calyx M which I preferred with the 846 over AK120ii, AK240, and X5. The Calyx M has a very full and detailed sound. For what its worth it is dead silent on the 846 but still has enough power to drive the HD 650.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #12,050 of 22,960
Appreciate the input. Im glad you mentioned Sony daps as they are the ones I've had my eye on. what can a 1000$ dap do that a 100$ can't? They both play the same files right?

As long as you have a competent iem,speaking generally about daps here you will get better clarity and a more detailed and dynamic  sound,a bass with better texture and control even from non basshead daps,a bigger more enveloping soundstage,better imaging and positioning of instruments.However take into account that we are talking about portable equipment here,not a desktop setup costing $5000(just to keep expectations in check
biggrin.gif
) and that some iems benefit and scale more with much better dacs than others of the same tier.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #12,051 of 22,960
Take a look on the ZX2 thread on here. There are loads of details/specs and information about the device which should give you an idea as to why it is priced so highly and what makes it better than your average DAP or phone. I did quite a bit of research before I got mine and found that although it is expensive, compared to some of the high end offerings from Astell and kern it is actually cheaper and some people/professional reviewers, found that it sounds/performs better. It also has great battery life and runs Android so you can install other players like poweramp etc. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #12,052 of 22,960
Fiio X5 plus Hugo plus 846, blu modded filters. Hard to beat, IMO. Only possible change, ie800 instead of 846, depending on my mood!

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #12,053 of 22,960
Fiio X5 plus Hugo plus 846, blu modded filters. Hard to beat, IMO. Only possible change, ie800 instead of 846, depending on my mood!

Hi Andrew, Quick question for you. I presume you're using the Hugo as both DAC and amp, right? In which case, why is the X5 a necessary ingredient? Wouldn't you get the exact same sound from cheapest iPod you can possibly find plus Hugo plus 846, blu modded filters??

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #12,054 of 22,960

Same here. Don't know about the «hard to beat», but when it comes to the IEMs I own and have heard, I agree (SE846 with empty filter tubes in my case).

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #12,055 of 22,960
Hi Andrew, Quick question for you. I presume you're using the Hugo as both DAC and amp, right? In which case, why is the X5 a necessary ingredient? Wouldn't you get the exact same sound from cheapest iPod you can possibly find plus Hugo plus 846, blu modded filters??

I doubt exact same sound. Ask Naim Audio about digital transports! Too many people quote 0s and 1s. In any case, I bought X5 for playing hi-res and DSD which my iPod classics can't. And I much prefer Fiio world's drag and drop to ITunes. So much more flexible in conjunction with mp3tag. And .... when out and about, Fiio on its own knocks my iPod and iPhone for six, no comparison.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #12,056 of 22,960
Having said all that, I do query the benefit of an AK240 with the Hugo. But again, owners would probably point to the fact they love them when not pairing up.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #12,057 of 22,960
I doubt exact same sound. Ask Naim Audio about digital transports! Too many people quote 0s and 1s. In any case, I bought X5 for playing hi-res and DSD which my iPod classics can't. And I much prefer Fiio world's drag and drop to ITunes. So much more flexible in conjunction with mp3tag. And .... when out and about, Fiio on its own knocks my iPod and iPhone for six, no comparison.

It's not about just 0s and 1s. Its the sequence in which it's being fed to the DAC, make the difference between various transports.
@csglinux, iPod can't digital-out to HUGO. Hugo is not MFi certified. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #12,059 of 22,960
It's not about just 0s and 1s. Its the sequence in which it's being fed to the DAC, make the difference between various transports.
@csglinux
, iPod can't digital-out to HUGO. Hugo is not MFi certified. 

The iPod Touch can do a digital line out to the Hugo or any other DAC with a USB input. I use the iPod Touch 5th (I just ordered the new iPod Touch 6th 128GB) with the Lightning CCK camera kit with allows for a digital line out into my RSA Intruder.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #12,060 of 22,960
  Hi Ivabign,
I hope you can help or anyone else that wants to chime in. I'm using Ted's Silver Litz, but thinking about going copper. Did you have the ALO SXC 8 with metal MMCX? Any issues with this?
How about any copper discoloration with Ted's Copper Litz?

You mentioned preferring the ALO for portability? Can you elaborate?

Sorry about the delay in response.... I actually like the Ted Copper Litz and the ALO SXC 8 SPC cables with my SE846. I also just got a Toxic Virus (silver/copper Litz integrated in the same cable) - Straight silver I thought I lost some impact although I gained a bit of detail...

As for the cables themselves - absolutely no discoloration with any of them. The metal MMCX connectors on the ALO fit great and are really snug while the IEMs still turn pretty freely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back