Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #12,031 of 22,960
Silver really brings out the detail. I can't way enough good things about Ted's service, quality, and price. I'm considering copper because I've noticed some recordings the highs can be a little fatiguing (ex. Smashing Punkins and some female vocals). Older recordings are fine however newer recordings and some of the reissues shorten listening sessions. I want something neutral and detailed but still fun to listen to for prolonged periods of time.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #12,032 of 22,960
I think its time for a ted / dhc comparison review. I can only comment on alo and dhc.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #12,034 of 22,960
Old Dude, Are you using the Black or Silver Dragons? Are you still using the Blue Filter MOD? I've been using the "Full Throttle" (without filters) as I believe you advocated at some point and only recently started using the Blue again but with stock cable.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #12,035 of 22,960
  Hi Ivabign,
I hope you can help or anyone else that wants to chime in. I'm using Ted's Silver Litz, but thinking about going copper. Did you have the ALO SXC 8 with metal MMCX? Any issues with this?
How about any copper discoloration with Ted's Copper Litz?

You mentioned preferring the ALO for portability? Can you elaborate?

I have used ALO SXC 22 Copper balanced cable with AK120II, it adds warmth to the sound even though I used molded blue filter (which is supposed to be brighter), treble is not sparkling bright or fatigue and bass and vocals are sweet and natural and clear.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #12,037 of 22,960
The Hugo is some what a bright amp so with the blue filters you still get the treble. Your phone might be warm sounding.

The hugo isn't bright, it's neutral. The bass of the Shure SE846 is even alot better on the hugo.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #12,038 of 22,960
The hugo isn't bright, it's neutral. The bass of the Shure SE846 is even alot better on the hugo.

Agreed, Hugo is incredibly transparent, if you are hearing brightness I would suggest its showing something else in your chain, or a preference or being used to warmth.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #12,040 of 22,960
Hey! I was hoping someone could help me.i currently have the standard iPhone set up, iPhone 6 with EarPods, I listen to spotify 312kb/s.

I'm looking to upgrade and enter the world of hi res audio, I want something that will blow my mind, something that makes music feel refreshing and incredibly accurate.

I'm looking to get the shure 846 IEMs, as I've heard they are top notch, now, would plugging them into my iPhone defeat the purpose? Would I be better off purchasing a hi res audio player and cheaper earphones like shure 215s? What would give me the best sound quality? I can't afford the hi res player and the 846, the 846 will hurt my wallet for a long time, but if it's a new world of music enjoyment, I'll invest.

All info is appreciated! Thank you

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #12,041 of 22,960
Hey! I was hoping someone could help me.i currently have the standard iPhone set up, iPhone 6 with EarPods, I listen to spotify 312kb/s.

I'm looking to upgrade and enter the world of hi res audio, I want something that will blow my mind, something that makes music feel refreshing and incredibly accurate.

I'm looking to get the shure 846 IEMs, as I've heard they are top notch, now, would plugging them into my iPhone defeat the purpose? Would I be better off purchasing a hi res audio player and cheaper earphones like shure 215s? What would give me the best sound quality? I can't afford the hi res player and the 846, the 846 will hurt my wallet for a long time, but if it's a new world of music enjoyment, I'll invest.

The IEMs will make a larger difference than a DAP.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #12,042 of 22,960
Imho the importance goes like this:

most effect on sonic quality>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>least effect on sonic quality

IEMS > music recording and mastering quality >> source (DAP and/or amp) > rest (cables, audio file format)

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #12,043 of 22,960

The earphones should come first like mentioned. Most increase always comes from the IEM or headphone upgrade.

Your iPhone isn't bad at all, actually praised by many here.

Get the SE846, use them with your iPhone while you recover the outlay, then you can focus on a source (if you feel needed)

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #12,044 of 22,960

I run with my LG G3 phone, SE846 and audio tracks I have through poweramp. I would take that any day over the same setup except with a SE215 or similar earphone. The earphone makes the biggest difference here and it is significant. However a source such as a phone does limit it in a way. A better source will sound better however it is nowhere as close as the difference between a better earphone. On the contrast I'll take a superior earphone and crap source over a totl source and a SE215 or similar earphone without hesitation.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #12,045 of 22,960
What are peoples thoughts on the filters? I thought that they wouldn't make that much of a difference. The difference is subtle but significant!. I have been experimenting with different tips and filters and I have just got to the black filter and think that I may like it best. I thought it would make it way too bassy but (to my ears) it doesn't overpower the other frequencies, it just makes the whole sound more lush and full. I think I need to go back and forth between blue and black to make up my mind. I read about the blue filter mod being the best but am reluctant to do that in case I mess up the filter. Someone kindly gave me some basic instructions on here but it wasn't completely clear and left room for error. If anyone has done this is it worth the risk?  I tried the white filter and I think that it recesses the low frequencies a little too much and makes the music sound too lifeless (IMO) I am using them with a Sony ZX2. Which is your favourite filter and why? I would love to hear other peoples input on this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back