Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #12,001 of 22,960
The 1plus 2 which is over priced is nowhere near twice as good as the 846. The Roxanne is not better than the 846 and yes if you buy a Hugo and the Layla (add the total cost of those) you mught enjoy that combo for three or four months before you relized if it was really wirth it.

I agree. I have demoed two 1plus2s and they had different sounds so I wondered what is the sonic signature. The 1plus2 is a glorified DIY kit. But of course the defenders say you need $2.000+ uber2 cable and/or 2000 hours of burn in to appreciate it.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #12,002 of 22,960
Folks, I'm looking for high end extension for existing cable.  I know this sounds weird but with the below specs.  2-3 feet long.  does someone know some one who would make this?  or sell it?

[COLOR=000000]Jacket Material : Fluoridated ethylene propylene (Transparent Insulation)[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Conductor Material : 6X Silver Plated High Purity Copper Stranded Wire

Connectors : 3.5 Gold Plated Straight Plug(Fit For Iphone) & Gold Plated Copper Pin
[/color]

Loving my 846's!!!  I have hd650's, hd800's, se535's and Bose qc2 as well.  Fiio e17 and E09K Dac's.

Contact Ted Allen at headphonounge.com. Great craftsman and very reasonably priced. Your custom cable should be around $120.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #12,003 of 22,960
I think the 846 is near perfect with (right now) modded blue filters EXCEPT that treble is slightly rolled off for my tastes.  It's there, it certainly isn't grainy or scratchy (?!), there's just not enough of it for my tastes on a lot of my music.  Now those tracks I have that have a bit too much treble, and a lot of the live stuff I have that is soundboard but a bit bright, THAT sounds great with the 846.  

Waiting for my UERMs to arrive.  I'm going to miss the double thump of the 846 (remember I'm running a Pono in balanced mode) but when I demo'd the UERM in single mode (I asked for a balanced cable, sent them the Pono tech sheet, and was just told they are going to begin making them) it sounded very good in the bass area.  Just not like a freeway rumble.  And mids and trebles were much clearer and more extended.

I've really enjoyed my time with the 846 using my Moon AudioSilver Dragon cable.  An almost perfect iem (for me).  

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #12,004 of 22,960
The UERM is among the best treble I've heard in an iem. Of course I haven't heard everything but if it wasn't for the fit and lack of time to get impressions done I would have had UE refit them.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #12,007 of 22,960
Take filter out of iem first.  Take a small pin, put the tip in the side of the barrel of the filter (imagine a gun barrel, put it in where the bullet would come out), slide it down about halfway, angle it over so the point in now in the middle and the halfway point of the shaft is still on the edge, pry up gently and a little piece of foam (LITTLE) should pop out.  Do it in bright light on a clean white surface.  Save the foams in a small baggie or similar.  Don't put the pin all the way i to the base or you'll do a different kind of mod.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #12,008 of 22,960
You can't really make an accurate comparison between the HD800 and SE846 as they work on different principles. The HD800 uses a dynamic drivers whereas the Se846 uses balanced armature microdrivers. This was picking up on a point made on a previous page. 

Also the frequency range and bleed/ear cup size should make a noticeable difference. When switching between my IEM and full size headphones the "soundstage" if you will, has a different depth in each case. In theory, the IEM's should give a more neutral sound due to their isolating properties which let you focus on the music for what it is. Open-back headphones will in certain conditions allow so much bleed in and out of the back of them. 

Out of closed back, open back and IEM's my preference would be Open. IEM then closed-back.

I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers like a scene from Angry Birds.

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #12,010 of 22,960
I think the 846 is near perfect with (right now) modded blue filters EXCEPT that treble is slightly rolled off for my tastes.  It's there, it certainly isn't grainy or scratchy (?!), there's just not enough of it for my tastes on a lot of my music.  Now those tracks I have that have a bit too much treble, and a lot of the live stuff I have that is soundboard but a bit bright, THAT sounds great with the 846.  

Waiting for my UERMs to arrive.  I'm going to miss the double thump of the 846 (remember I'm running a Pono in balanced mode) but when I demo'd the UERM in single mode (I asked for a balanced cable, sent them the Pono tech sheet, and was just told they are going to begin making them) it sounded very good in the bass area.  Just not like a freeway rumble.  And mids and trebles were much clearer and more extended.

I've really enjoyed my time with the 846 using my Moon AudioSilver Dragon cable.  An almost perfect iem (for me).  
[/quote

I finally molded the blue filter and listened for two hours.
The impression of sound difference when paired with AK120II in balanced mode with pure copper cable using stock olive tip:
Using Fleetwood Mac's rumour DSD files, treble extended further without harshness, vocals is more forward and clear. Bass is not so booming and punchy with greater detail. Overall perceived volume output is greater than before. I like this sonic performance.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #12,011 of 22,960
I agree. I have demoed two 1plus2s and they had different sounds so I wondered what is the sonic signature. The 1plus2 is a glorified DIY kit. But of course the defenders say you need $2.000+ uber2 cable and/or 2000 hours of burn in to appreciate it.

This.  Or the owner of Tralucent Audio won't even contact you back on multiple sent messages inquiring regarding his Reference 1 Too.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #12,012 of 22,960
First post on this forum and I am blown away by all the options out there. I have owned a pair of Westone UM2 for the past 7 years. Today I picked up my pair of SE846 IEM and I really like them. The fit and finish are fantastic. My only regret was not finding this forum sooner. There are so many other options for the same price.

Steve

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #12,013 of 22,960
Just goes to show: I'm getting a UERM and likely selling my 846.  Of course I'm not using a phone to run them out of.  Just shows how all of us have different needs and likes.  
Too bad your phone can't do balanced output.  My Pono runs balanced to the 846 and the bass is "quite" strong. [\quote]
I figured once you started bear backing maybe a different iem was in order. Good luck and let us know what happends

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #12,014 of 22,960
  I guess my memory of it doesn't serve me wrong.  It was so distinct from what I've heard in the past that, it was immediately felt.  The treble was pretty apparent, but at the same time the sound stage was bigger than belief.  

I personally am not a fan of the 846 due to it's treble.  It comes off a bit scratchy sounding would be the way I could best describe it.  It's a shure signature IMO.  Treble aren't their good traits.  I guess it has the revolutionary low pass for the bass, but that's bass.  I think it's Shure's treble is the reason why it can't get that resolving, and people can't tell a difference for different sources with it.  Which means, the performance is limited.

That's how I initially heard it as well - through my iPhone 6 and later an iPod and a DX90 - but then I tried some of my nicer amps and dacs and that issue disappeared. I am convinced that the 846 is a very picky IEM source-wise. Many don't see it that way because it still sounds good no matter what you use to drive it - it is so sensitive - but TOTL sources & amps (IMO) really come through with these. I think I first noticed that they were picky when I ran them through my RSA Predator (since sold). It sounded great, but the bass rolled off a bit and the treble could be fatiguing.

Now when I use my iPod Classic/ALO LOD/Pico Power, the 846 opens up like magic. When I use my RSA Protector or even my ALO Island in balanced mode, it is even better... Sure I play with cables a bit, but the real improvement comes from the amplifier... These can be amazing - and non-fatiguing. I can listen loud for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back