Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #11,626 of 22,954
Still no SE846. 

I got a PDF via email from Shure that said the delivery date of my items was to be yesterday. I just emailed them and asked for tracking information as I stayed home yesterday to receive them. Still kinda annoyed with this whole process :frowning2: - it is taking a long time and I really have no idea what is going on...

Context if you didnt read my other posts:
I sent my IEMs in for service with some confusion. They helped me figure it out, but still no sign of them. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #11,627 of 22,954
Sorry, I didn't mean to fart in the room and walk out with the whole cable thing!  I was just trying to get a little info for myself and I realize everyone has their own preferences and I was just trying to see if any inexpensive cables out there fit my bill that COULD improve the sound, not that I am unhappy b/c I tried the JH16 at axpona and I think the Shures are better but again, just my perspective!

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #11,628 of 22,954
  Still no SE846. 

I got a PDF via email from Shure that said the delivery date of my items was to be yesterday. I just emailed them and asked for tracking information as I stayed home yesterday to receive them. Still kinda annoyed with this whole process :frowning2: - it is taking a long time and I really have no idea what is going on...

I sent my IEMs in for service with some confusion. They helped me figure it out, but still no sign of them. 

They just got back to me... It looks like they havent shipped them yet... They plan on mailing them out the 18th. 

That means this will have been a 2 week process. I shipped my IEMs to shure via USPS 2 day shipping.  :/ 

On the bright side they are replacing the short cable that was starting to wear after I had removed the memory wire form it. And they are going to ship them out with one day shipping. But still this process took a long time. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #11,629 of 22,954
Just thought i will share my Impression so far. Jumped the gun and got the Shure Se846. I am not an audiophile nor known the pure science of sound to comment on scientific aspects.I just want to share my user experience so far. The best sounding headphone i had so far was AKG451/On ear Momemtum and Sony MDR-1. I also have the Velodyne Vtrue, Vmoda LP2, Bose QC 15,25 and 20i. So my impression is purely based on preference of headphones.

I dont have an Amp or DAC converter which i am definitely planning to venture into and try after this purchase. Songs i listen to are Flac files.

Songs i am listening to include Queen at Wemley which a friend of mine gifted and Mariko Sen Ju four seasons. Unfortunately using my Samsung s5 as i just lost my X1 player. 

All i can say is the difference between all the headphones i have used and the Shure Se846 is the feeling of actually standing close to the stage or more so in front of fred mercury. I am not exaggerating. The sound is beautifully split across and the details from cymbals, the bass guitar and even the whistles and claps from the crowd are clean. And its clean at all volume level. 

In the song is this the world we created, you can actually hear a laughter from the crowd. The files are clean so there is no hissing or white noise i am hearing. To me MDR-R1 was a reference for the sound was warm, a nice level of bass and a overall warmth. The size of that headphones was HUGE.

The bass is not super over whelming. In fact i feel the bass actually going well with the song. The only bass filled song i listened to was the Coolio Gangsta paradise. Increasing the volume does not distort any part of the song. In fact the cymbals in the song are clearer.

I tried the three filters in few hours so no way i can comment on them. But purely based on the chart, i decided to try the black filter. 

Smoke on water at full volume showed the flaws in my other headphones which coudnt render the mids and highs as much as the Shure could do it clearly.

Overall its a day old and the time spent with this phones are very minimal and yet satisfactory. Only thing i can say is if you have the money and want to try the shure se846, you will not be disappointed. A clear winner if you have the right system.

More importantly one question i had was the AKG 451 has higher impedance than the Shure and yet the AKG 451 sounds louder. Am i reading it wrong?

I will go through these 776 pages before i even say the word recommend.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #11,630 of 22,954
Still greatly enjoying my SE846's performance with the new Virus cable by Toxic... I couldn't tell you where the most improvement comes since it is a balanced cable - although my favorite before this for critical listening with the 8's was my balanced Reference Copper Litz by Ted - portable listening I like the ALO SXC 8 - just playing around with sources, signals and materials has brought these bad boys to new heights...

This must be similar to the DHC described before as it has litz silver and copper wire together, but separated.... barber pole style.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #11,632 of 22,954

Here is the dhc. Compared to sc8

Here it is on its own

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #11,633 of 22,954
Just to chime in on the cable discussion, I am very happy with my Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 replacement cable.  Certainly improved the clarify and definition compared to the stock cable.   Easier to place over the ear as well.  

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #11,634 of 22,954
Ive tried quite a few cables,for HD 800,846, balanced,or not,and after several months of trial and error,have settled on unbalanced,( Without memory wire ) At first,balanced seemed an improvement,but over a period,I seem to prefer unbalanced. I must be getting old.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #11,635 of 22,954
Ive tried quite a few cables,for HD 800,846, balanced,or not,and after several months of trial and error,have settled on unbalanced,( Without memory wire ) At first,balanced seemed an improvement,but over a period,I seem to prefer unbalanced. I must be getting old.

You are not alone in this. Obviously whatever sounds better.to whoever is not in dispute. Rob watts designer of chord products discussed why unbalanced may be preferable as well.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #11,636 of 22,954
You are not alone in this. Obviously whatever sounds better.to whoever is not in dispute. Rob watts designer of chord products discussed why unbalanced may be preferable as well.

Why would a "balanced" cable make a bit of difference considering the Hugo does not have a balanced output (although it sounds fantastic without a balanced output).

There is no such thing as a balanced cable only a balanced terminated cable. It is the source like a DAP (like AK 240) or amplifier (like my Intruder) that have a balanced output. Lacking a balanced source you simply have a right and a left positive lead and a right and left ground.

Furthermore, a balanced terminated cable will not work with an unbalanced source. All balanced terminated cables either have a Kobiconn or TRRS termination which cannot be plugged into a single output source.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #11,637 of 22,954
Why would a "balanced" cable make a bit of difference considering the Hugo does not have a balanced output (although it sounds fantastic without a balanced output).

There is no such thing as a balanced cable only a balanced terminated cable. It is the source like a DAP (like AK 240) or amplifier (like my Intruder) that have a balanced output. Lacking a balanced source you simply have a right and a left positive lead and a right and left ground.

Furthermore, a balanced terminated cable will not work with an unbalanced source. All balanced terminated cables either have a Kobiconn or TRRS termination which cannot be plugged into a single output source.

Hi Spook. Thanks for the explanation. I found a difference between the two,maybe just loudness?, Whatever!.( As my Grandchildren say!.) As I am no expert,just someone that has enjoyed music for 60yesrs,and plays keyboard,i am only guided by what i hear.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #11,638 of 22,954
Hi Spook. Thanks for the explanation. I found a difference between the two,maybe just loudness?, Whatever!.( As my Grandchildren say!.) As I am no expert,just someone that has enjoyed music for 60yesrs,and plays keyboard,i am only guided by what i hear.

I have no doubt you can perceive a difference but that could be due to the how the cables were constructed or the type of wire used. I do agree our ears are the best guide.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #11,639 of 22,954

Thanks for that. That's why rob didn't put balanced output on the Hugo and in other chord products. He gives a bit of detail why.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #11,640 of 22,954
  Still no SE846. 

They just got back to me... It looks like they havent shipped them yet... They plan on mailing them out the 18th. 

That means this will have been a 2 week process. I shipped my IEMs to shure via USPS 2 day shipping.  :/ 

On the bright side they are replacing the short cable that was starting to wear after I had removed the memory wire form it. And they are going to ship them out with one day shipping. But still this process took a long time. 

Another update about my warranty experience.

It is the 18th. They said I would be receiving the headphones today and that I would be given a tracking number before they shipped.

As of this morning I have heard nothing from Shure. No tracking information or anything. Ill keep waiting, it is possible they will send them out today. But I am rather irritated, this is putting the turn around time upwards of 2 weeks now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back