Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,596 of 22,960
Awesome, thanks!  I'm gonna do a little searchin on those Linum and Westone cables as those sound like they would be what I'm looking for!  I don't have enough posts yet to put a classified but if you know anyone that is lookin for a pair of like new 530's let me know!

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #11,597 of 22,960
From what I can gather Silver has better conductivity than Copper and seeing as it is precious metal, the blending of it makes production costs cheaper although you can't really justify this sort of thing unless you are talking about serious gear like these sort of IEM's. A Google search almost confirms that Silver followed by Copper then Gold is the order of merit for conductivity.

I've looked at a couple of Silver based cables and can't say I have any equipment that would justify them currently (ba-doom-tish!).

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #11,598 of 22,960
From what I can gather Silver has better conductivity than Copper and seeing as it is precious metal, the blending of it makes production costs cheaper although you can't really justify this sort of thing unless you are talking about serious gear like these sort of IEM's. A Google search almost confirms that Silver followed by Copper then Gold is the order of merit for conductivity.

I've looked at a couple of Silver based cables and can't say I have any equipment that would justify them currently (ba-doom-tish!).

At approximately $210 it is hard to beat Ted Allen and Headphonelounge.com for pure OCC silver litz cables. Great price, a real craftsman with really fast turn around time and pleasant to deal with who answers all the questions you might have.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #11,599 of 22,960

copper provides a muscular sound. It really enhances the low end, sub base area. in the 846 some copper is exactly what it needs, imo. While silver litz type 4 provides higher end clarity and separation. It seems im flogging a dead horse here but you can hear a big difference plugged straight into an iphone six. Double helix all the way. A no tangle subtle cable and sure, listening to quality production through a hugo makes it better but not necessary. I wish id bought DH straight up first time. Just saying. now im sure dh silver litz is good as well but come on, as if you dont want to hear some rumble, isnt that why we bought the 846 anyways. try some copper

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #11,600 of 22,960
  copper provides a muscular sound. It really enhances the low end, sub base area. in the 846 some copper is exactly what it needs, imo. While silver litz type 4 provides higher end clarity and separation. It seems im flogging a dead horse here but you can hear a big difference plugged straight into an iphone six. Double helix all the way. A no tangle subtle cable and sure, listening to quality production through a hugo makes it better but not necessary. I wish id bought DH straight up first time. Just saying. now im sure dh silver litz is good as well but come on, as if you dont want to hear some rumble, isnt that why we bought the 846 anyways. try some copper

so what is the shure stock cable made of ? is made of copper?

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #11,601 of 22,960
Surprisingly Wikipedia lists carbon/graphene* as best conductor. That said, I don't believe that conductivity has anything to do with sound quality.

* Upon investigation I found out that graphene is a very new material (with no application so far) and not comparable to graphite or carbon.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #11,602 of 22,960
I'm pretty sure if copper was a bad material to use, it wouldn't be what EVERYONE packages with their products. It's not like these companies need to cut corners on $1000 headphones when the SOUND QUALITY is what matters.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #11,603 of 22,960
Well Copper is a great conductor for heat dissipation also. Probably why 9/10 heatsinks use this material although few use it all the way. Although I have purchased strictly copper heatsinks before they were more expensive. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #11,604 of 22,960
  Well Copper is a great conductor for heat dissipation also. Probably why 9/10 heatsinks use this material although few use it all the way. Although I have purchased strictly copper heatsinks before they were more expensive. 

Water cooled is the way to go, for more "stressed" systems.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #11,605 of 22,960

so what is the shure stock cable made of ? is made of copper?

Look at my signature dh copper silver Litz fusion 8 braid. I don't. Know what the stock is. I like me some copper with my silver litz

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #11,606 of 22,960
Look at my signature dh copper silver Litz fusion 8 braid. I don't. Know what the stock is. I like me some copper with my silver litz

The stock Shure SE846 cable is made out of nickel-plated copper.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #11,607 of 22,960
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #11,608 of 22,960
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #11,609 of 22,960
  You have not used the stock SE846 cable? (maybe a joke?) 

No joke! I have not used a different cable on it so far, so I just know how the SE846 sounds with this cable. Never heard (of) a nickel plated copper cable before.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #11,610 of 22,960

No joke! I have not used a different cable on it so far, so I just know how the SE846 sounds with this cable. Never heard (of) a nickel plated copper cable before.

If you are referring to "this cable" as the stock Shure SE846 cable, then you are indeed listening to a nickel-plated copper cable (the stock SE846 cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back