Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #11,611 of 22,960

You have not used the stock SE846 cable? (maybe a joke?) 

No joke! I have not used a different cable on it so far, so I just know how the SE846 sounds with this cable. Never heard (of) a nickel plated copper cable before.

Treat yourself. :L3000:
It could change your filter perspective, and eq levels.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #11,612 of 22,960
  If you are referring to "this cable" as the stock Shure SE846 cable, then you are indeed listening to a nickel-plated copper cable (the stock SE846 cable).

Of course, but the SE846 itself makes 99.9% of the sound, so I still don't know how nickel-plated copper sounds.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #11,613 of 22,960

Finally ventured into third-party cables, started easy with the Effect Audio Apollo ("rainbow" color), copper cable.  Enjoying it more than I thought I would.  The bass reaches deeper and more impactful.  I feel the mid is slightly more forward.  Comfort is TONS better than the Shure cable, and cable is thinner, more portable too.  Very satisfied with my purchase.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #11,614 of 22,960
Treat yourself.
L3000.gif

It could change your filter perspective, and eq levels.

Hhmm... do I really want that?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #11,615 of 22,960
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #11,616 of 22,960
Of course, but the SE846 itself makes 99.9% of the sound, so I still don't know how nickel-plated copper sounds.

Well that is up for a serious debate. With that said, some can not tell cable differences and some can. I'm in the camp where I can tell differences of cables and fortunately (or unfortunately) I wouldn't quantify the difference between a Linum BaX MMCX, and stock nickel-plated cable and Silver Litz as being only .1% of the SE846's entire sound equation.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #11,617 of 22,960

Finally ventured into third-party cables, started easy with the Effect Audio Apollo ("rainbow" color), copper cable.  Enjoying it more than I thought I would.  The bass reaches deeper and more impactful.  I feel the mid is slightly more forward.  Comfort is TONS better than the Shure cable, and cable is thinner, more portable too.  Very satisfied with my purchase.

Purty

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #11,618 of 22,960
Well that is up for a serious debate. With that said, some can not tell cable differences and some can. I'm in the camp where I can tell differences of cables and fortunately (or unfortunately) I wouldn't quantify the difference between a Linum BaX MMCX, and stock nickel-plated cable and Silver Litz as being only .1% of the SE846's entire sound equation.

I agree with you, the number is too low – I was speaking from a metrological perspective. Still it holds true that I can't isolatedly hear the characteristic of nickel-plated copper.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #11,619 of 22,960
I agree with you, the number is too low – I was speaking from a metrological perspective. Still it holds true that I can't isolatedly hear the characteristic of nickel-plated copper.

I apologize in advance, but it is pretty difficult to assume that you are coming from a "metrological perspective". If you say 99.9%, I'm going to take it as you say it - unless you specify/clarify from what perspective you are actually talking about.

As for not hearing how nickel-plated copper sounds, it's gonna be very difficult to impossible to be able to discern how it (as truly as "possible") sounds without listening to as reference/neutral C/IEMs as possible (the UERM is a good base reference/neutral CIEM) and listening for differences between different elemental cables.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #11,620 of 22,960
I apologize in advance, but it is pretty difficult to assume that you are coming from a "metrological perspective". If you say 99.9%, I'm going to take it as you say it - unless you specify/clarify from what perspective you are actually talking about.

As for not hearing how nickel-plated copper sounds, it's gonna be very difficult to impossible to be able to discern how it (as truly as "possible") sounds without listening to as reference/neutral C/IEMs as possible (the UERM is a good base reference/neutral CIEM) and listening for differences between different elemental cables.

I'm not coming from a metrological perspective, the number was chosen from a metrological perspective. But let's forget the number! The latter point is decisive: I'm really interested how nickel-plated copper sounds compared to silver-plated copper, pure copper of pure silver – although the material itself is not the only criterion for the sonic characteristic –, but even though I own the SE846 with this kind of cable, I can't judge the cable characteristic isolatedly, because I don't have a clue how the SE846 would sound without any cable (please don't laugh!).

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #11,621 of 22,960
The new Symbiote Fusion V2 IEM cable is the best one yet - one of the most comfortable IEM cables ever made, with the extreme detail of silver combined with the sweet midrange and smooth bass of pure copper in each strand.

Fusion uses a custom strand configuration and unique insulation design to get the best possible blend of sound quality, appearance, and feel. As such it is incredibly compact - our most compact wire - with ergonomics and convenience befitting the best portable audio systems. With Fusion's sleek dimensions we can also offer an amazing 6 or 8-wire Symbiote Fusion with the Macromolecule's flawless sinnet braid for a true endgame IEM cable. These larger braids offer an effective 22.2awg per polarity (in balanced 8 wire or single ended 6 wire configurations
We came up with this idea while brainstorming late at night with some fellow cable enthusiasts. Our popular "Peptide" pure OCC copper litz cables features a bundle of seven bundles of litz copper strands with a unique rope-like appearance from the type 2 litz construction, and a Silver Peptide litz wire was already in the works. But what if we made a true hybrid - with independent bundles of silver and copper strands? As a litz construct, the silver and copper stay separate down the length of the wire as the strands are individually insulated. So each strand is like 3 or 4 independent copper and silver cables, a fusion of two metals rather than one metal plated onto another. The idea was too promising to ignore, so finally in 2013 we have added a new wire to our collection which has impressed us with every cable we have applied it to.

DHC Peptide "Fusion" V2 is a 25.2awg type 4 litz construct of pure OCC silver strands and pure OCC copper strands, with 3 silver bundles and 3 copper bundles of equal size spiralled around a core of proprietary dampening material in the center for an evenly spaced "candy cane" appearance of silver and copper with fine, narrow stripes of each color - and with clear PE insulation. The insulation has been revised to a slimmer profile than any of our other wires. This is the most compact IEM cable we have ever offered with a sleek 1.15mm dimension to each strand. The type 4 design improves refinement over conventional litz designs and we did it first, researching a variety of dampening core materials to find one that did not interact electrically with the litz wire's enamel coating. What we came up with was able to outperform previous generations of our litz wires.

This wire is manufactured to a standard beyond all competitors by one of the originators of the OCC process. Its insulation is the fifth generation of design since DHC's first wire offerings with this company and is flawlessly smooth and clear. The metal's purity and the precision of the litz construct's assembly ensures that the sound of this wire matches its aesthetic flair. Once the wire is complete, it is cryogenically treated for added strength and electrical performance.

How does the Symbiote with Peptide Fusion wire sound? It does not sound like silver plus copper - it sounds like silver fused with copper - the metals acting as one, incorporating the best features of each while sounding like no one copper or silver wire we have employed. Fusion brings both the deep and visceral bass typically associated with our best OCC copper in addition to the delicate layers and realistic microdetail of pure OCC silver.

We are offering your choice of terminations for any of the IEM types and terminations that are on the Symbiote, Symbiote SE, or Symbiote SE Hybrid. JH, UE, Shure, Westone, and much more are supported.

For the most elite Fusion cable ever, pick the 6 or 8-wire option! We use a beautiful 6 or 8-wire sinnet braid for maximum current flow and an amazing look...these multiwire cables are the equivalent of 22.2awg wires per polarity.

A little marketing gimick but the end results are true. Just an FYI.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #11,622 of 22,960
I'm not coming from a metrological perspective, the number was chosen from a metrological perspective. But let's forget the number! The latter point is decisive: I'm really interested how nickel-plated copper sounds compared to silver-plated copper, pure copper of pure silver – although the material itself is not the only criterion for the sonic characteristic –, but even though I own the SE846 with this kind of cable, I can't judge the cable characteristic isolatedly, because I don't have a clue how the SE846 would sound without any cable (please don't laugh!).

That was pretty confusing, and now the number was requested to be omitted. *really confused now*

Your best bet to listen to how the nickel-plated cable sounds with the SE846 is to compare and note the differences between other elemental cables. There may be differences between the same type of cables, but for different C/IEMs as well. For example, I like how the slightly warmer presentation of the Estron Linum BaX (compared to EarWerkz stock tinsel-plated Copper cable) made my EarWerkz Supra sound, but thought the Estron Linum BaX with my SE846 sounded absolutely terrible - literally choking the midrange and treble compared to the stock and Silver Litz cables.

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #11,623 of 22,960

From a Metrosexual perspective, I like my new Toxic Virus - it is a litz construction with the OCC Silver & OCC Copper stranded together in the same wire - the one I bought 2nd hand on the FS thread came with a RSA Balanced connector so a portion of the increase in quality may have to be attributed to the balanced output. I just know that it is the best I have heard my 8's. Period.

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #11,624 of 22,960
That was pretty confusing, and now the number was requested to be omitted. *really confused now*

Your best bet to listen to how the nickel-plated cable sounds with the SE846 is to compare and note the differences between other elemental cables. There may be differences between the same type of cables, but for different C/IEMs as well. For example, I like how the slightly warmer presentation of the Estron Linum BaX (compared to EarWerkz stock tinsel-plated Copper cable) made my EarWerkz Supra sound, but thought the Estron Linum BaX with my SE846 sounded absolutely terrible - literally choking the midrange and treble compared to the stock and Silver Litz cables.

My bad. The number was meant to demonstrate how little it shows of itself without any reference.

I would through the X5's equalizer into the equation anyway, so there are multiple ways to optimize the sound. The 0.2-dB step octave equalizer may even make an aftermarket cable obsolete, but I can't know for sure before I test it. All I know is that the X5's EQ doesn't the same thing with my HD 800 as the headphone cables. Among them I clearly prefer the stock cable to the Silver Dragon to date, BWT – this in conjunction with (subjectively) optimal EQ settings.

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #11,625 of 22,960
My bad. The number was meant to demonstrate how little it shows of itself without any reference.

I would through the X5's equalizer into the equation anyway, so there are multiple ways to optimize the sound. The 0.2-dB step octave equalizer may even make an aftermarket cable obsolete, but I can't know for sure before I test it. All I know is that the X5's EQ doesn't the same thing with my HD 800 as the headphone cables. Among them I clearly prefer the stock cable to the Silver Dragon to date, BWT – this in conjunction with (subjectively) optimal EQ settings.

No worries! Sometimes it's difficult to decipher everything like context through text. That's why I try to be as descriptive as possible - which sometimes gets people to respond "I know." Or "Got it." - where they may take my trying to clarify as much as I can in a negative fashion.

Yeah, it's great to try out the X5/DAPs/amps/EQs/streamable apps with conjunction with different nozzle inserts/filters/mods, different elemental cables (like my favorite Silver Litz), sizes-fit-all tips and one of my favorite upgrades (in my opinion): the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back