Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #11,641 of 22,960
I use my Shure SE846s with an iPod Classic.  I use CD quality Apple Lossless, 16-bit files and am extremely satisfied with the sound quality.  I demoed an AK240SS and decided it was not worth the money.  The most significant sound improvement was when I switched to Shure SE846s, more so than by adding Astell & Kern.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #11,642 of 22,960
  Ive tried quite a few cables,for HD 800,846, balanced,or not,and after several months of trial and error,have settled on unbalanced,( Without memory wire ) At first,balanced seemed an improvement,but over a period,I seem to prefer unbalanced. I must be getting old.

Other portions of you may be unbalanced as well...
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #11,644 of 22,960

I flatly deny that sir. I have not had a drink,for at least 30 seconds.

How do you do it? That would kill me and send me straight to the DT's.
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #11,646 of 22,960

Another update about my warranty experience.

It is the 18th. They said I would be receiving the headphones today and that I would be given a tracking number before they shipped.

As of this morning I have heard nothing from Shure. No tracking information or anything. Ill keep waiting, it is possible they will send them out today. But I am rather irritated, this is putting the turn around time upwards of 2 weeks now.

They responded to my email today. Now they are saying they are going to ship them Tuesday the 23rd.  They are saying it is because a cable is on back-order. I asked if they would send me the IEMs now so I can use them and send me the cable whenever it comes back in.

You could say I have not had a good experience with Shure's service repair.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #11,647 of 22,960
Hey guys aside my complaining I am thinking of getting one of these.

http://www.ctcaudio.com/collections/dacs/products/cozoy-astrapi-dac-amplifier

I want to listen to music from my phone, but my phone has a terrible sound issue with the headphone jack.

Any one use this little DAC with the SE846?

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #11,648 of 22,960
I think you might find it will be ok for iem alas maybe not for some harder to drive full size headphones. Obviously read up more about it.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #11,651 of 22,960
My 846 are in the mail right now. Supposed to be delivered this morning.

Yesterday I emailed the Shure Service department again asking if they would mail me the headphones now and send me the cable when they come in. I did not get a response but given that I got a UPS email saying I should expect a delivery from Shure this morning I assume they agreed to do that.

This makes me happy with Shure for now. While it did take much longer than I expect it is nice they made efforts to work with me. I guess ill have more comments once the headphones arrive.

Make sure your phone can actually use a USB DAC. Not all of them can. 

My LG G3 has terrible sound, but its rooted and such and can support USB audio haha. I figured the Cozoy would be a great pair as it would let me use my phone as a source, but still avoid the terrible sound of the G3.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #11,652 of 22,960
Funny, I said the G3 sounded awful in the G3 thread, and I got flamed...

Decidedly good to know I'm not alone :)

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #11,653 of 22,960
Funny, I said the G3 sounded awful in the G3 thread, and I got flamed...

Decidedly good to know I'm not alone
smily_headphones1.gif

I would go as far to say its the worst sounding DAC/Device Ive ever plugged headphones into. There is a noticeable hiss/static in the left channel when there is quiet parts with bass. This is a known defect by LG and they have yet to do anything about it.

I called verizon and LG and they basically told me there was nothing wrong with it. Which is funny considering they admitted there was a problem in the first place!

I wanted to get a new phone but I am not eligible for an upgrade yet. So Instead I figured Ill try getting this little dac and just not worry about my phones sound quality otherwise.  The G3 is nice in every aspect but sound quality so I can deal

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #11,654 of 22,960
LG boasted about the 24/192K sound although it's only audiophile class if the output stage follows through.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #11,655 of 22,960

I would go as far to say its the worst sounding DAC/Device Ive ever plugged headphones into. There is a noticeable hiss/static in the left channel when there is quiet parts with bass. This is a known defect by LG and they have yet to do anything about it.

I called verizon and LG and they basically told me there was nothing wrong with it. Which is funny considering they admitted there was a problem in the first place!

I wanted to get a new phone but I am not eligible for an upgrade yet. So Instead I figured Ill try getting this little dac and just not worry about my phones sound quality otherwise.  The G3 is nice in every aspect but sound quality so I can deal

That was a problem with some devices. My G3 had no hiss and sounded on par with or better than my iPhone 6+, and those are known for quality sound output. In fact most measurements showed it had some excellent hardware in there, a flat output and a very low noise floor. I think the Galaxy S6 nudges the pair of them, but not by much. 

If you had a problem with your G3, then it was a problem with that G3, not the device when it functions properly. Not that it helps in this situation, but don't take that to mean the G3 had bad sound. On the contrary, it should sound EXCELLENT.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Skev
Back