Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #10,924 of 22,954
Just some quick impression for SE846 (White tip, blue filter) with PHA-3 normal output via UAPP (DSD 2.8Mhz tracks)

ALO SXC 24 Earphone Cable
Barbra Streisand - Beau Soir Voice (Vocal) - Enhanced vocal
Human Nature - Unchained Melody (Vocal + Instrument) - nothing screaming here
Daft Punk - Get Lucky - Not working with this song.. just too much base, mid are lost

ALO SXC 8 Earphone Cable
Barbra Streisand - Beau Soir Voice (Vocal) - Vocal not as impactful
Human Nature - Unchained Melody (Vocal + Instrument) - best experience, excellent vocal and music
Daft Punk - Get Lucky - This is just... horrible.. base was destructed or way too much base

This is my first test with Silver cable.. make me wonder should i go down this route.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #10,925 of 22,954
I've had several silver cables (Ted's single-ended and Moon Audio-balanced) and both have been excellent.  I don't listen to mp3 files, and I use quality DAPs (not an iPhone).  

Also, the 846 will "show" you both the good and the bad of your music.  It it was well-mastered and mixed, it will sound great.  If it was done poorly, well, you will hear the poorly.  Sometimes, when I am listening, I think the 846s aren't working right.  And then I play a different artist and wow, they are.  

Try listening to any CD-level copy of Van Morrison or Stevie Wonder.  Their albums are always well-made, technically.  

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #10,926 of 22,954
I thought the issue is with the second time replacement. I think Shure wouldn't want to replace the missing part free (due to your negligence) after giving a new IEM a month ago. May be you have not screwed the nozzle tight enough in the first place As I have several times my IEM got pulled while in the pocket due to my cable got caught  by some object. The IEM still is good without any looseness and still sealed tight in my ear. I thought Shure has done everything right by giving you a reasonable price of fixing the problem.

Nope. The first time was the driver's problem. This is a common issue reported here, and I will say no more about that.

This time it was the nozzle getting loose over time to a point when I went shopping yesterday it fell out.

Again, I don't think it qualify as neglect to my iems just because I don't compulsively tighten the nozzle everydaY or every week? Who do that?? Unless you change filters regularly.

When I first got the replacement, I changed the blue filters to my black filters. That was almost a month ago and I DID tighten the nozzles coz I don't want it to fall off like it did. In retrospect, my only fault was that I didn't go back to check if the nozzles remain tight on my right earphone.

You are totally entitled to your opinions but please don't make assumptions based on a whim. You are not in my shoes. I am not so filthy rich to neglect my $1000 iems.

I think this could happen to others as well. At the end, they designed a detachable nozzle. The nozzle has no lock mechanism. It got loose overtime, and Shure never warned us this could happen.So as a customer, I believe it's their fault.

For anything, Shure should take this situation seriously. Post the disclaimers or whatever and make this right.

At the end, thanks for your input. As a fellow 846 owner, please try to empathize. Thanks.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #10,928 of 22,954
It happened to me twice, and once I thought I actually lost it. It was very upset and had nothing to do with changing filters as I had only tried each filter once many months prior.

I believe that. Lucky it didn't happen in a busy street and you didn't lose it. I'm starting to lose faith in Shure if they don't deal with this promptly & seriously.

Us audiophiles are a rare breed. <90% of my friends and acquaintances look at me like I'm crazy after finding out how much I spend for these. Shure should really cherish us and own up to their responsibility.

I'm wasting so much time with their customer service & post here. But this is really a matter of principle. I wouldn't want to see any other fellow owners having this problem especially under warranty period like me. I will keep demanding shure to make this right!

They need to treat us customers fairly... And know they cannot get away with this kind of behavior.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #10,930 of 22,954
The ONLY way to be sure that things that are screwed together (and will need to be unscrewed later) stay together is Locktite.  I'm not sure that is the way to go here.  Anything that is screwed together should be periodically tested with your fingers to be sure the connection is still tight.  For me, I have had no issues with the nozzles un-tightening, and now that I use Sensaphonics it's not an issue at all.  But it's not a design flaw.  It's a mechanical connection.  Things jiggle loose in every area, from cars to airplanes to you name it.  If it has threads there is always a chance it will come undone.  Forty bucks is not the end of the world, and most likely you will get in the habit of checking for tightness now.  

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #10,931 of 22,954
I don't know if it is a design flaw, but there should be something to prevent this. Locktite is an excellent idea. I think Shure can fix or improve it. I have RHA T10s, they have a filter system, and I can almost guarantee they are not coming loose. They are implemented a bit differently, but better. I really didn't give it a second thought until I lost one of my 8's. After the second time, I became completely paranoid as the second time was only a week or so after the first. I think there may be an issue with some of the housings.

I could have very easily lost one of my drivers since these were my goto IEMS, especially when being out and about. I thought I lost one at the beach, I was sick. Basically I was lucky. After that, I hand tightened them on every use.

Just be careful, I'd hate to see anyone lose one of these.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #10,932 of 22,954
The ONLY way to be sure that things that are screwed together (and will need to be unscrewed later) stay together is Locktite.  I'm not sure that is the way to go here.  Anything that is screwed together should be periodically tested with your fingers to be sure the connection is still tight.  For me, I have had no issues with the nozzles un-tightening, and now that I use Sensaphonics it's not an issue at all.  But it's not a design flaw.  It's a mechanical connection.  Things jiggle loose in every area, from cars to airplanes to you name it.  If it has threads there is always a chance it will come undone.  Forty bucks is not the end of the world, and most likely you will get in the habit of checking for tightness now.  

Thanks dude,

I agree $50 is not the end of the world. It is really matter of principles. My wife is in fact ridiculing me with all this as she knows that my time is much more valuable arguing/negotiating for my work and business.

I agree that anything that could be detached might get loose over time. In my case less than a month.
At the very least Shure should remind us of it, as not everyone has a keen engineering mind as yourself. A sticker, tag, a footnote might have suffice.

I truly thought screw it tightly once should do the trick.

They didn't provide any of that. If McDonald's have to pay millions for neglecting to put a warning:hot sign in their coffee lid, Shure should at least own up to their responsibility and send me a replacement. This will happen again to some other poor owner. I just want to make sure none of us gets screwed in the future When such problem occurs.

I'm not asking a lot. Just basic respect and service. Sigh.... To think I have actually recommended a couple of friends on these headphones and Shure as a brand...
I've had been a customer for years starting with purchasing their mikes. They are well built and still kicking.
I refuse to believe the shure brand name is now coming to this...

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #10,934 of 22,954
  I've had several silver cables (Ted's single-ended and Moon Audio-balanced) and both have been excellent.  I don't listen to mp3 files, and I use quality DAPs (not an iPhone).  

Also, the 846 will "show" you both the good and the bad of your music.  It it was well-mastered and mixed, it will sound great.  If it was done poorly, well, you will hear the poorly.  Sometimes, when I am listening, I think the 846s aren't working right.  And then I play a different artist and wow, they are.  

Try listening to any CD-level copy of Van Morrison or Stevie Wonder.  Their albums are always well-made, technically.  

I'm interested in getting moon audio iem cable with balance connector (L & R) for PHA-3. In your opinion, how does it fair against POP genre music like Daft Punk?

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #10,935 of 22,954
Yes MarcusL. This is what I did. Even there's a problem with a product, I am not there to fight the reps. Simply because they are human too and I need their help.

I started my first email politely then as the shure customer rep responded "politely" that they won't honor their warranty and my only choice is to pay more to solve my problem I started stating their design flaws and asked them to own up to it.

The truth is, it's so easy to respond with a cold polite email to tell us the customer that we are screwed. Politeness does not equate to good aftersale service from the company. At the end of the day, I just want them to solve my problem and as a customer I believe the onus of their design problem should not fall on us.

I have received similar emails from less reputable companies and my experience with shure customer service is nothing like what I've read on this forum so far.... Sigh.

Btw,.. Thanks for all your inputs. Anyone can provide me an email to their customer service manager??

You did not mention whether you bought them from an authorized dealer - which would have a strong bearing on any warranty issues in the first place.  With a user-replacable part, there will also be issues egarding defects vs. user error.

Just my 2 cents worth 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back