Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #10,786 of 22,945
Oh well.... Anyone else has one?
Headphonic were bit cryptic. They didn't seem to have one in stock. Were coy about letting me trial. I also asked about the ie800s.
They seemed to want to push the velvets, which don't quite have the bass impact I'm looking for.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #10,787 of 22,945
  Day two now, and still wow, just now even more wow!

Aangen, I find it interesting that was your first impression, as I had something similar. At first listen, it wasn't the incredible difference I was expecting from my 535's, but once I got a few songs in, I really heard the difference. Now on day two, it's gotten even better. I can't even imagine once I get some serious burn in time. 

I had the guts to work out with them today, and it honestly was so much fun. That sound quality is something I really missed when working out with my Jaybirds. Unfortunately, I don't think I can keep that up consistently. I was just too worried about them the whole time, especially on lifts where bars could be pressing down on the cable. I still haven't played around with the filters-- maybe I'll try that tonight. 

Also, I got my ear impressions and sent them off to Sensaphonics today (I got crystal blues); I absolutely cannot wait for those to get that CIEM fit. Next stop, a new cable. :) This has been a great week! These sound so good that I don't even care about how much money I spent now. It was worth every penny.

For what it's worth, I think the JDS Labs C5 is a wonderful paring with these. I thought the same thing with the 535's, so I think it pairs well with Shure IEM's. The highs are incredibly clear and right there where they should be, and not fatiguing at all. You can also get really solid low end, a combination I just couldn't get with my E12a. 

I know my comments right now are a bit scattered and nonsensical, I'm still in that initial "OH MY GOD THESE SOUND SO GOOD" kind of mood 
biggrin.gif

I was actually kind of amused about how dull they sounded on the first song I played. I was more amused that there was zero bass. I knew they'd warm up but they warmed up really fast. I am listening to them now with my Geek Out 450 and they are just THICK at the bottom. At first I thought the mid and high end was missing but it's just got a big bottom, big bottom, talk about mudflaps my girls got em.  I haven't read any of the material that comes with as I have to wait for my wife to be asleep so I don't know what filters it has installed right out of the box. If I had to guess I'd guess they are the black filters. It's really fun but it's so heavy with this geek out. (not that that is a bad thing)

I'm gonna leave them play for a few days, listening as much as I can.  Then I'll get to modding the blue filters and all that. (or not)

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #10,788 of 22,945
Oh well.... Anyone else has one?
Headphonic were bit cryptic. They didn't seem to have one in stock. Were coy about letting me trial. I also asked about the ie800s.
They seemed to want to push the velvets, which don't quite have the bass impact I'm looking for.

Headphonic were a bit noncommittal when I asked about my Shures. I think they like to push their recommendations list.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #10,789 of 22,945
  I was actually kind of amused about how dull they sounded on the first song I played. I was more amused that there was zero bass. I knew they'd warm up but they warmed up really fast. I am listening to them now with my Geek Out 450 and they are just THICK at the bottom. At first I thought the mid and high end was missing but it's just got a big bottom, big bottom, talk about mudflaps my girls got em.  I haven't read any of the material that comes with as I have to wait for my wife to be asleep so I don't know what filters it has installed right out of the box. If I had to guess I'd guess they are the black filters. It's really fun but it's so heavy with this geek out. (not that that is a bad thing)

I'm gonna leave them play for a few days, listening as much as I can.  Then I'll get to modding the blue filters and all that. (or not)

If you bought them new they come with the blue filter installed.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #10,791 of 22,945
Hello, I have just completed the blue filter mod and all I can say is WOW! I have never heard such clarity in my life, I am hearing background instruments in songs that I simply didn't know were there. The incredible thing is that the bass is still there.......AMAZING......Watch how you take them out as they are small and bouncy!!

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #10,792 of 22,945
  Hello, I have just completed the blue filter mod and all I can say is WOW! I have never heard such clarity in my life, I am hearing background instruments in songs that I simply didn't know were there. The incredible thing is that the bass is still there.......AMAZING......Watch how you take them out as they are small and bouncy!!

The more I listen to my 8's in comparison to much more expensive iem's, some of which I own, the more I appreciate their technical achievement. They hold up so well against models selling for twice the price it is really an amazing value even at the $1K asking price. The fact that you can buy them at about 20% off street price makes them a screaming bargain.

You can buy different sound but imo you cannot buy significantly better sound at today's inflated prices. They may fall 5-10% behind some of the models costing $1500-2500 but the difference is really in sound signature and  the last level of detail retrieval and treble extension. The performance difference is very small compared to the massive price difference.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #10,793 of 22,945
  You can buy different sound but imo you cannot buy significantly better sound at today's inflated prices. They may fall 5-10% behind some of the models costing $1500-2500 but the difference is really in sound signature and  the last level of detail retrieval and treble extension. The performance difference is very small compared to the massive price difference.

Nicely stated. I would add that the extra 5-10% assumes you have hi res audio files, the hi res files were properly mastered, a TOTL DAC, and a TOTL amp, along with TOTL cables. If you are missing any one of these, you may never hear that extra detail by just spending more on your IEMs.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #10,796 of 22,945
  These 846's really bring out the soul in my William Shatner recordings.

Impossible! Shatner has no soul because he sold it to keep his aging career going. How else can you explain T J Hooker? Ok, there was Heather Locklear and she wore a police uniform that really was the stuff of many of my fantasies, but I digress....

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #10,798 of 22,945

Have been reading up on the SE846 threads and decided to get one based on the reviews. Received mine today and have been listening to it for 3-4 hours now.

Unfortunately, I have been used to my Grado PS500e and these $1000 phones while sounding decent are nowhere near my PS500es'. The mid-range sounds pretty decent, but lacking in the lows and highs. For e.g acoustic guitar tracks don't seem to have the punch due to this. Soundstage seems ok.

Haven't used any quality IEMs in a while, is this as good as it gets with IEMs?
I am assuming these will get better after burn-in, but by how much??

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #10,799 of 22,945
Apr 25, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #10,800 of 22,945
Have been reading up on the SE846 threads and decided to get one based on the reviews. Received mine today and have been listening to it for 3-4 hours now.

Unfortunately, I have been used to my Grado PS500e and these $1000 phones while sounding decent are nowhere near my PS500es'. The mid-range sounds pretty decent, but lacking in the lows and highs. For e.g acoustic guitar tracks don't seem to have the punch due to this. Soundstage seems ok.

Haven't used any quality IEMs in a while, is this as good as it gets with IEMs?
I am assuming these will get better after burn-in, but by how much??

If lacking in lows, I would experiment with getting a good seal. As far as iems go, these have a very good low end, tight and controlled with little bass bloat. Maybe try larger size or different tips.

For a crisper top end try white filters or modded blues. Whites lose a bit of fullness. Personally I use Westone Star silicon tips for the brighter sound I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back