Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #10,771 of 22,954
After what has happened to me, I have severe doubts over whether the 8s are suitable for sleeping.

I am hoping sleeping with them in was not the cause.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #10,773 of 22,954
Not that often... Only while I am here in Perth (West Australia) visiting family. Our Saint Bernards start barking to go out and for their breakfast before dawn.

Of slight concern is that I do not have the serial number - asked of me on the Jands website (Australia's Shure distributor / repairer). I had discarded the box (under duress!) upon leaving Melbourne six weeks ago.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #10,774 of 22,954
Is the $900 price difference between your Audeze LCD versus a Beyer DT880 worth it?

Never heard the LCD headphones before but the Sennheiser HD800 obliterates Hifi speakers costing 10k+ in every category.

So in my opinion, high end headphones are worth it. But I have no problem listening to music on even Apple Earbuds to be honest, despite being not as good.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #10,775 of 22,954
Well, comparing a rather cheap dynamic DT880 to a rather expensive planar Audez'e is just not fair as both have got different sound presentation, especially in the low range. Good planars have got the advantage over dynamic headphones that they really make you feel each layer of the bass at low volumes.
A rather fair comparison would be, imo, the DT880 (let's better take the K701 as it has more things in common with the Sennheiser) vs the HD 800, as both have got dynamic transducers. And even here, I personally think yes, the price difference is worth it if you want to spent that amount of money.

The same goes for the comparison SE215 vs SE846 - both are completely different and imo not comparable. For me, comparing a dynamic iem with one that has got BA transducers would only be a fair match if both iems were more or less in the same price range.
I wouldn't have any issue comparing a chead dynamic iem with an expensive iem or a cheap BA iem with an expensive BA iem, but comparing headphones/earphones with different types of drivers with a huge price gap in between them is just not fair, imho.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #10,776 of 22,954
Any detailed differences in SQ between SE215 and SE846?

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #10,777 of 22,954
The soundstage is just so huge. It's massive. And the clarity from the deep lows to the highs is just unreal. I purposely tried listening to songs that I know have some real low frequency weight to them, and I listen to all the time in my car where I have a true subwoofer, so I know how a subwoofer producing them sounds, and with bass boost up on my amp to overemphasize them just to hear how the headphone did, alI can say is wow. Despite the whole subwoofer sound advertising, I didn't really expect it to be able to produce those super low end (nearly inaudible on 535ltds) sounds so well. But the detail in the highs... And the mids. It's unreal.

I had a slight panic attack on first listen thinking that my right earphone was totally defective, but I just had them in incorrectly. I find it much harder to get a good fit with these than the 535's, I presume partially due to the larger earpiece and partially due to the stiffer cabling by the ear. The sensaphonics will be a great upgrade.

The Sensaphonics sleeves have such a good seal (properly fitted) that the bass may be overwhelming.  I'm using the white filters with them and seems to be the sweet spot

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #10,778 of 22,954
My package from Massdrop arrived today and I happily opened my new SE 846's. I hooked them up to my X5 with an E12DIY and put my walking shoes on. The very first song that played all I heard was slightly rough mids, not much high end and zero bass. The second song was pretty much the same. After that with each song it seemed that the bottom end appeared, and continued to warmed up nicely. The mids smoothed out and the highs started to make an appearance.  I started having trouble walking as the music started to really grab my attention. After maybe six songs I gave up and just sat down and listened for awhile. I'm pretty impressed so far. I have many fine headphones and some very nice speakers, but I can't shake the feeling I have never heard percussion, kick drums, and bass like I am hearing right now. These sound more alive than my much loved SE 535's. The soundstage is distracting it is so much larger than I am used to. I spend a great deal of time riding my motorcycle with the SE 535's and I'm think that might not be wise with the SE 846's as they seem to suck me in to the music more. A great deal more. It must be like listening to a Pono.  :)

So far I have left my E12DIY in it's as delivered state. Any of you folks out there have one with the SE 846's? Did you try different chip combinations?

Oh one more thing. I was under the impression that the body of the SE 846's was much larger than the SE 535's. I am happy to see that doesn't appear to be true. I think the 846 might actually be smaller or more rounded. It's very comfortable.  What a nice day.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #10,780 of 22,954
Now I'm using mine with no filter and so far am enjoying it.  Lots more upper treble has appeared.  Bass still seems strong, mids are still rich.  Soundstage seems to be wider than with a filter as well.  Keep in mind this is with a Pono in balanced mode and with Sensaphonics.  YMMV.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #10,781 of 22,954
Now I'm using mine with no filter and so far am enjoying it.  Lots more upper treble has appeared.  Bass still seems strong, mids are still rich.  Soundstage seems to be wider than with a filter as well.  Keep in mind this is with a Pono in balanced mode and with Sensaphonics.  YMMV.

That's just crazy talk :bigsmile_face: back to regular blues for me.

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #10,782 of 22,954
I'm gonna give it a few days and see how I like it.  I only listen for about 40 minutes at a time (on my walk) so it doesn't have time to get fatiguing.  And I love the treble, that's the one thing I don't like about the 846.  

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #10,785 of 22,954
Redbo: I would be glad to, however they are being sent off to be repaired today, and I am heading back to Melbs in 10 days time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back