Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #9,481 of 22,954
I actually like the DX90 and 846.  I had the chance to audition both the DX90 and X5 and I ultimately decided to buy the DX90.

I have it set to high gain, slow roll-off and with the EQ off.  Low gain is ok too, but I find I can resolve better details and soundstage + imaging are better with high gain.  I am using Comply P-Series tips with the blue filters on the 846.

What are your settings?  Are you EQ'ing it?  It's funny but on the DX90, the EQ is off when you see the button "On".  :D

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #9,482 of 22,954

1st Thought:  It might be helpful for you to share what you were listening to your SE846's with and what you were hoping to to improve with the sound.  It could be DAP or even the IEMs that are the limiting factor.  It probably is the DAP but the DX90 is pretty highly regarded.  I do love the SE846s but you might be asking for improvements well beyond Shure's tuning.  I love Shure's tuning but I am also guessing my musical preference is different too which can drive a great deal.

2nd- if you have  a DAP that you like but were seeking to improve (i.e. iPod), you might consider the Chord HUGO.  It is unbelievably immersive and magical. It is so good that it displaced a PS Audio and Ayre Audio DAC in my home system where it spends most of its time.

3rd- The AK120 (not the new long tall version) gets very high marks for being romantic in sound.  Warm and effortless is how I would describe it.  I am not sure if this is tonally the direction you are looking but  you can find those used and new for good prices.  There is a very long and detailed review 2 Headfiers did comparing the new AK products with the old.  If you can find that thread, you can see if the sound meets what you want.  If I find it, I will edit my post and add it below.  If you like what you read, that might actually be the cheapest option.

Look here for more on AK line-up. Mike Mercer was the thread I was thinking about.  I am sure you could always PM him too.

Scroll towards the bottom of the page to read more:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718321/brand-spanking-new-a-k-ak120ii-and-ak100ii/540

Cheers.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #9,484 of 22,954
This is how I form perfect ear loops after removing the memory wire from a brand new cable. I align everything with OCD precision and let it hang for a few days =)

It helps if you have a heavy jack, otherwise add some sort of small weight at the end.

f1c3c972d8f45eca3f6f34ca96ee31d5.jpg

Yeah, I got another iHP-35M cable, my cat destroyed the first one (luckily not connected to my SE846 at the time!!!)

This cable is that good, I purchased it twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #9,485 of 22,954
My pair of 846's are current monsters is seems. The 8's only blow me away so far when amped. I liked the E12 better than the internal X5 amp as well. I'll look at the M and look for some info on that Fiio X7 people are talking about.

Seems so far thats two nays, on DX90 > 846's    

I've always maintained that DX90's weak link was the amp section. I like it line-out via my E18's amp section.
If you're looking for one box solution, get the newer AK's. Most of us enjoy running the 8s balanced.
DX90 pairs better with my V3s though.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #9,486 of 22,954
Enjoy my 8s with DX90 and X5. Great clarity and only harshness is with poorly recorded or lossy files. But then I dislike a warm or bassy signature. We all hear differently. Princess, what quality files you using?

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #9,490 of 22,954
Feb 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #9,491 of 22,954
As you can see from that discussion, I asked that very question (no reply).  The original drop was listed as 30, they seemed to go over by 6 at the end.  So came up short.  Let's see what happens today with shipping.  BTW, I was #13 to buy originally, but then I guess there were dropouts because now I'm #10.  So obviously I hope they ship in order purchased.  
smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to getting these and joining the club.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #9,493 of 22,954
I have just got info about the stuff I am looking for form this brands:
- Silver Dragon& Headphone lounge 846 + balanced extension + mini to mini 
- Lightning amp ( I know : balanced in & out).
The questions are :
- What will be the best cable options ( Silver D. versus Headphone L.) to get the best upgrade in sound?
- Best mini to mini cable form these brands?
- I have read that for the 846 the lightning amp is better suited that the protector. Its right?

So I am looking to get this stuff : Fiio X5 + upgrated cables + Lightning + upgrated + 846 with Weston silicone olives. Any comment?

The next step: To improve my X5 : Any recomendations ?( A&K 240 : to expensive at the moment for me).
Sorry for all this questions but I have start with the adictive way to improve the sound.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #9,494 of 22,954
Wow, I'm not sure, I want to admit what the problem actually was.....
tongue_smile.gif

I've been wearing Shure's for years, I always used a medium olive. The medium olives were always extended wear comfortable.
I tried small olives in the past but they seemed to small. I tried a new small pair of tips, dug them in deeper than ever and now, I can hear the DX90's power.  
L3000.gif

I need to listen further before I make any further claims. Its much much clear and has full response range I felt was missing. Seems G2G.

@moedawg140 I guess my lesson from this is it's SCS ordering time.... 

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #9,495 of 22,954
  Wow, I'm not sure, I want to admit what the problem actually was.....
tongue_smile.gif

I've been wearing Shure's for years, I always used a medium olive. The medium olives were always extended wear comfortable.
I tried small olives in the past but they seemed to small. I tried a new small pair of tips, dug them in deeper than ever and now, I can hear the DX90's power.  
L3000.gif

I need to listen further before I make any further claims. Its much much clear and has full response range I felt was missing. Seems G2G.

@moedawg140 I guess my lesson from this is it's SCS ordering time.... 

Hopefully the SCS will rectify your issues, as I have heard yaes and nays regarding the synergy with the DX90 and SE846.  Since you have had an elevation of auditory success with the small tips inserted deeply into your ears, the SCS will/should achieve more isolation than the small tips.  

Good luck with the SCS if you decide to go that route!  
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back