Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #9,467 of 22,960
Definitely - happy with the look, construction and most importantly, sound of his cables.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #9,469 of 22,960
All my 8-driver customs (and my V6S) are superior to the 846 - not to say I don't love the little sucker - these are thin margins - but in comparison, there is a coarseness not evident in my higher end customs.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #9,471 of 22,960
About the Ligtning recomendation instead of the Protector for my Shure 846, I have seen that the INPUT of the Ligtning can be use with a Balanced or mini plug via a switch ( The OUTPUT only balanced).
Also what will be a upgrade instead of my FIIO X5 main source ? Of course the AK 240 is a option, but what about the less expensive models of this brand ? 

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #9,472 of 22,960
Can any fellow DX90 > 846 owners give me some relationship advice. 

This source, while supposedly awesome, just sounds harsh and has almost painful edge at times. I've given it a continuous 400 hours of burn in. I've updated the Firmware to the latest most "headfi accepted version". We've been to marital counseling. This DAP just never wow's me. Its has no sense of romance. I've tried to seduce it with everything from well used 16/44.1 to 24/192 and it just never sounds right with the 8's.

I switched to the warmer filters and they helped take the edge off, but the loss in clarity of cymbals and flutes was too much for me. I normally am very happy with the blue filters with all my other gear. I love the DX90 size, the weight, the feel, the controls and the OS. Its certainly a very handy and cute device. However, I constantly feel like I have to raise the volume to hear details I would hear with my other setups. I normally listen to amps with low gain at low volumes.

I've taken DX90 line out to my JDSlabs C5 amp and while that helps make the sound much more refined and lush, it still carries over harshness. I like the DX90>C5-amp>846's better than unamped but according to the interwebs the 846's need little to no amping and no amp with DX90. I feel like its a poor match of source and IEM but I know others very happy with this combo.

Can anyone tell me what average gain settings and volume ranges they use. 
Does anyone else find they constantly have to adjust the volume?
Does anyone prefer this unit with an amp?

I'm just about ready to box the little beauty back off to where it came from.

Can anyone save my relationship with the DX90?

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #9,473 of 22,960
Perhaps some changes in tips might help.  Either some of the included tips or something else.  Perhaps try Comply tips instead of silicons?  You can buy them at a local Radio Shack, since I see you live in the US. You can try balancing tips with filters and see if you find a good match.  

As for gain, I always used my C5 on low gain with my old DX50.  If you have harshness, lowering power might be a good start.  

I've read that the Fiio X5 has good synergy with the 846s, but can't say first-hand as mine haven't arrived yet.  

Good luck.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #9,474 of 22,960
Thanks, I'll have to look into ordering different tips. I've tried Shure triple flanges, and my usual medium olives and even tried a large olive. Its just so weird, the DX90 seems so underpowered, the 846 has no authority unamped.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #9,476 of 22,960
My pair of 846's are current monsters is seems. The 8's only blow me away so far when amped. I liked the E12 better than the internal X5 amp as well. I'll look at the M and look for some info on that Fiio X7 people are talking about.

Seems so far thats two nays, on DX90 > 846's    

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #9,477 of 22,960
Well I do not have the 846s yet they should be coming soon from massdrop. BTW massdrop contacted me today and assured me that they purchase the 846s from an authorized dealer. I asked who the dealer was but have yet to hear back from them.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #9,478 of 22,960
I had the DX90 for 30 days and didn't like it with the 846. None of the amp gain settings worked for me either. However, it didn't seem underpowered. It may well be a tips issue.

As for the harshness, I can only suggest that if the new firmware allows you to lower the pre-amp gain setting below zero. That might keep the range from extending into harshness and improve the tone quality and sub-bass.

I remember the DX-90 as having a clear sound, but no soundstage. It was only slightly better than my iPod Touch 5g in that regard.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #9,479 of 22,960
A bunch of us are waiting.  I'm less concerned with where they come from then when they will be sent to us.  
smile.gif

The X7 will be released in June or later with a variety of amp modules available.  No idea yet on SQ.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back