Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #9,496 of 22,960
I have just got info about the stuff I am looking for form this brands:
- Silver Dragon& Headphone lounge 846 + balanced extension + mini to mini 
- Lightning amp ( I know : balanced in & out).
The questions are :
- What will be the best cable options ( Silver D. versus Headphone L.) to get the best upgrade in sound?
- Best mini to mini cable form these brands?
- I have read that for the 846 the lightning amp is better suited that the protector. Its right?

So I am looking to get this stuff : Fiio X5 + upgrated cables + Lightning + upgrated + 846 with Weston silicone olives. Any comment?

The next step: To improve my X5 : Any recomendations ?( A&K 240 : to expensive at the moment for me).
Sorry for all this questions but I have start with the adictive way to improve the sound.

I would choose the Headphone Lounge Silver Litz cable as the Black Dragon while very good is a copper litz cable and the 846s do not need more warmth.

As for the amps, I own both the RSA Protector and Lightning and I would certainly go with the Lightning as, I stated earlier, the Protector has a warm tube like sound which again the 846's do not need.

Also, like many here I think the Westone Star Tips provide the best fit and sound of all of the aftermarket tips short of the custom sleeves by Sensaphonics.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any further questions as I went down the same road you are traveling.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #9,497 of 22,960
Rocking down tonight with Blackberry Smoke's new album (Holding All The Roses, FLAC) on my X5 and 846s. Anyone like Skynyrd/Blackfoot Southern Boogie, give it a try. Big grin on my face for 50 minutes.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #9,498 of 22,960
Definitely time to think about upgrading my cable (although I have been thinking of doing so for like, forever) as the stock one is beginning to show oxidisation.

As one who advocates premium beverages, I know oxidisation is not a good thing. :p

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #9,500 of 22,960
Rocking down tonight with Blackberry Smoke's new album (Holding All The Roses, FLAC) on my X5 and 846s. Anyone like Skynyrd/Blackfoot Southern Boogie, give it a try. Big grin on my face for 50 minutes.

Thanks my friend. I think I will do just that (give it a try) :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #9,502 of 22,960

Cracking album. Good tunes. Best Southern band with a groove since Black Crowes, IMO.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #9,504 of 22,960
I know you guys don't belive in burn but could the perceive burn be due to the filters, I notice the filters have small pockets in them(accidently pulled out the foam thing in the warm filters) if the sound waves hits the filters woudnt that cause the many pockets in the filters to expand and change the sound?

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #9,506 of 22,960
I'm really digging the warm filter! Am I weird??

I like the clarity of the White, but bass punchlines is lost as someone mentioned.

Blue is nice but just not as musical as the black filter

Same actually. You just... feel... it more.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #9,507 of 22,960
I know you guys don't belive in burn but could the perceive burn be due to the filters, I notice the filters have small pockets in them(accidently pulled out the foam thing in the warm filters) if the sound waves hits the filters woudnt that cause the many pockets in the filters to expand and change the sound?

The filter's exact purpose is to change the sound, so I would presume that the foam's density and elasticity were precisely manufactured to dampen a specific range of frequencies when the sound waves hit it.

But what I think you're speculating is whether there's a permanent change to the foam's physical properties, and thus the range of frequencies that it reacts to, that accumulates through use.  I suppose like any other kind of plastic/rubber foam it will degrade and stiffen over time, but that would probably take years, and be the result of exposure to air, heat, and humidity, in other words not from having sound waves pushed through it.   

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #9,508 of 22,960
Anyone tried the Silver Dragon V1 IEM? any different? I'm thinking to get one but I'm not sure if it worth it get upgrade the cable for $200 :S

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #9,510 of 22,960
Hello Pavel, 
They were received on the 17th and are in the lab. 
Thank you and have a good weekend,   Claudia
Sensaphonics
660 N Milwaukee Ave. 
Chicago IL 60642
312-432-1714

Yes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back