Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #9,511 of 22,960
The 846 arrived today, this is my first pair of Shures and I am floored by the packaging. They were waiting in my mailbox when I got home, and man is that a heavy box for iems. They musta been cold -20 F with the wind chill here today.

These are beautiful to look at, Shure certainly crafted these beauties elegantly. No shrink wrap on the box however that may be the norm as the box ends were glued shut and it appeared to be factory.

Do the blue filters and a pair of black foams come factory pre installed? The foams look like they could be manufactured better as there were specs of foam about and some of the surface looks pitted. If the box wasn't sealed I would swear that the foams were previously used however even the foams included in the bag appear the same way. They seem to pick up everything even the ones in the bag. Whoever placed the foams on the 846s and in the bag must have had dirty hands or dirty gloves.

I will try to give them a listen later on.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #9,512 of 22,960
@threephi thanks for clearing that up, has nothing to do with them sounding bad, was just wondering sense I pulled the foam out of the black filters and notice the small pockets. by the way sense I pulled out the foam out of one of the black filters and put them back in, should I order new one or does me doing that has no effect on the sound?

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #9,515 of 22,960
  @threephi thanks for clearing that up, has nothing to do with them sounding bad, was just wondering sense I pulled the foam out of the black filters and notice the small pockets. by the way sense I pulled out the foam out of one of the black filters and put them back in, should I order new one or does me doing that has no effect on the sound?

I doubt touching it once caused any significant harm, but it's not something I think should become a habit.  Repeated handling increases the chance you might damage the foam somehow.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #9,517 of 22,960
@threephi thanks for clearing that  up also, I was worried that I damaged the black filters, I actually haven't use them sense I pulled out the filters last week. they were my favorite of the three, but because of that incident I gave the other filter a second listen and grew to like the other two just as much.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #9,518 of 22,960
No it was pieces form the black olive that came on it stock.  The package was sealed as I stated but no shrink wrap.  You know how the foams can also look waxy?  It almost looks like a spot of that on one of the tips that came on the 846.  Boy did I have pull to get those suckers off (tips), I really couldn't twist them more like prying.  I wonder if my package was a refurb?

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #9,519 of 22,960
  Anyone tried the Silver Dragon V1 IEM? any different? I'm thinking to get one but I'm not sure if it worth it get upgrade the cable for $200 :S

I have the balanced version for my Pono/Fidue A83s, and will be using them with my 846s when they arrive next week.  About $235.  Made a BIIIIGGGG difference with the Fidues in balanced mode, but it's hard to know what was the cable and what was the balanced.  Quality cable, non-microphonic, good fittings and slider.  

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #9,520 of 22,960
  No it was pieces form the black olive that came on it stock.  The package was sealed as I stated but no shrink wrap.  You know how the foams can also look waxy?  It almost looks like a spot of that on one of the tips that came on the 846.  Boy did I have pull to get those suckers off (tips), I really couldn't twist them more like prying.  I wonder if my package was a refurb?

I bought mine in a store and the box was the same--flaps glued and no cellophane.  The other issues you mention could be explained by your package going through some temperature and humidity swings en route.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #9,523 of 22,960
I cannot imagine they would be refurbs if the box doesn't say it in big letters - that's not the way Shure rolls. On the box should be the date of manufacture - is it recent? I have been using my 8's lately plugged into my phone when out and about - I got a Shure mic cable and honestly, it sounds fine - coupled with the Comply P-Series foams, I have an amazing seal - and when a call comes in - voila! They hear me perfectly - although my wife sounds better with the black filters 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back