Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #7,081 of 22,954
  Has anybody compared these to the Roxanne? Quite interested in what people think. 

I have. I was very unimpressed by the Roxanne so YMMV. I'm frankly shocked by how different they sounded compared to my beloved JH13 Pro.

The Roxanne Universal I tried was more veiled, had less sparkly highs, and worse mids compared to my SE846. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #7,082 of 22,954

There are lots of quality ones out there. The Ray Samuels amps have a good reputation here with the 8s and I can vouch for the Fiio E12A based on my experiences with the E12DIY and direct comparisons between the DIY and the 12A. I'm sure others can chime in with more suggestions

hmm How about the hippo circri amp? is it good if i pair it with the shure 846 and iPod 5th gen ? or would it be better to only get a new player , like cowon z2? :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #7,083 of 22,954

hmm How about the hippo circri amp? is it good if i pair it with the shure 846 and iPod 5th gen ? or would it be better to only get a new player , like cowon z2? :)

I haven't heard the cricri, but the 5th gen iPod should be OK. The new FiiO E11K might be good too - I'm demoing one soon as part of a tour so I'll let post some thoughts here

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #7,084 of 22,954
Comparison shots between some cables:

Top = 93Spec pure silver
Mid = Westone remote, UE remote
Botttom = ADL iHP-35m, stock

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #7,087 of 22,954
  How does the Shure SE846 compare to LCD headphones and the TH-900? 

I'm curious if it's worth buying those headphone alongside the HD800 if someone owns the Shure SE846.

sorry for a tardy reply, have both. th900 all the way. Its not a fair comparison, I dont think any in ear can compare to the harmonic capability of over ear either open or closed, imo.  Now as for hd800 there is much debate between them and th900. Im leaning to an open system to compliment not sure what at this point the new hi fi man or lcd3? not in a hurray cause th900 rules in my book. Shure 846 is my walk about listening exclusivly.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #7,088 of 22,954
  sorry for a tardy reply, have both. th900 all the way. Its not a fair comparison, I dont think any in ear can compare to the harmonic capability of over ear either open or closed, imo.  Now as for hd800 there is much debate between them and th900. Im leaning to an open system to compliment not sure what at this point the new hi fi man or lcd3? not in a hurray cause th900 rules in my book. Shure 846 is my walk about listening exclusivly.

Just to add to this, since I have the LCD-2.2, I would never consider the SE846 a replacement or even a competitor. They're beautiful IEMs, stunning even, and they will forever be a part of my collection (I'd even argue they're the only thing I have that I will not replace), but in comparison to a full-size can the difference is too much. No IEM can offer that size of sound just like no headphone can replace a set of real speakers. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #7,089 of 22,954
Got my cables from Ted yesterday, all I can say is his work is a masterpiece. Build and feels great, a lot more control then stock cables. The IC is very low profile, doesn't make the rig clumsy. As for as sound, I was always a bit skeptical about going balance. But with only a short time with them, I def notice wider soundstage, a lot faster, and everything is more refined. So far I'm very happy with Ted's cables.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #7,090 of 22,954
Got my cables from Ted yesterday, all I can say is his work is a masterpiece. Build and feels great, a lot more control then stock cables. The IC is very low profile, doesn't make the rig clumsy. As for as sound, I was always a bit skeptical about going balance. But with only a short time with them, I def notice wider soundstage, a lot faster, and everything is more refined. So far I'm very happy with Ted's cables.

Glad you like the Silver Litz, also nice and concise impressions of the cable as well. What length did you wind up getting?

Oh, and awesome TMNT strap you have there!

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #7,091 of 22,954

That's one fine looking cable, can't wait till I get mine. :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #7,092 of 22,954
  That's one fine looking cable, can't wait till I get mine. :)

Photos don't do justice. It really feels high quality. Which config did you end up getting? 

Glad you like the Silver Litz, also nice and concise impressions of the cable as well. What length did you wind up getting?

Oh, and awesome TMNT strap you have there!

Thanks! I went with 53", I felt the shorter stock cables were too short, and the longer one was all over the place. So I went with something in the middle. 

Thanks! I was hunting for a wrist strap yesterday with no luck. Today I tried Spencer, and got it for 50 cent. :) 

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #7,093 of 22,954

Photos don't do justice. It really feels high quality. Which config did you end up getting? 

Thanks! I went with 53", I felt the shorter stock cables were too short, and the longer one was all over the place. So I went with something in the middle. 

Thanks! I was hunting for a wrist strap yesterday with no luck. Today I tried Spencer, and got it for 50 cent. :) 

4' Silver Litz with carbon fiber everything. I'm hoping my cable would be as slim as yours. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #7,095 of 22,954
How would the shures do with progressive rock and metal?  For some reason I keep being interested in these.  The last time I tried a shure though I had issues where the cable relief would prevent a proper seal :frowning2: 

The short answer is fantastic. My musical library is almost exclusively progressive and prog metal. From modern prog such as Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Echolyn, Opeth and Big Big Train to classic prog like Genesis, King Crimson and Yes. The 8s truly convey the vocals, imaging and multilayered instruments found in prog rock with authority.

I have a friend with over 5,000 prog albums who I just turned onto the 846 and he is stunned, as I still am, by the synergy between progressive rock and the SE846. One listen to "10,000 Days pt 2" from Tool's last album 10,000 Days and you will understand what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back