Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #7,096 of 22,960
The short answer is fantastic. My musical library is almost exclusively progressive and prog metal. From modern prog such as Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Echolyn, Opeth and Big Big Train to classic prog like Genesis, King Crimson and Yes. The 8s truly convey the vocals, imaging and multilayered instruments found in prog rock with authority.

I have a friend with over 5,000 prog albums who I just turned onto the 846 and he is stunned, as I still am, by the synergy between progressive rock and the SE846. One listen to "10,000 Days pt 2" from Tool's last album 10,000 Days and you will understand what I mean.

Same. I'm not a prog guy, more post/sludge and its ilk, but there are plenty of crossover and believe me that these are nothing short of stellar for those genres.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #7,098 of 22,960
I'll answer my own question since they had the 846 to demo at the airport. Listened straight put of iPod v5 and with Continental V3 in between. Sound with CV3 utterly amazing, I bought them without hesitation. Have a feeling my 24 hour trip to Brazil is going to seem too short with these guys to entertain me!!

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #7,100 of 22,960
I'll answer my own question since they had the 846 to demo at the airport. Listened straight put of iPod v5 and with Continental V3 in between. Sound with CV3 utterly amazing, I bought them without hesitation. Have a feeling my 24 hour trip to Brazil is going to seem too short with these guys to entertain me!!

Congrats! Have a safe flight.
gs1000.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #7,105 of 22,960
As a child I loved flying, had some bad experiences and had to pop xanax and have a few drinks, but now I'm kind of ambivalent towards it... Rather not fly, but don't have any reasonable options as an alternative. So, I deal with it. Music definitely helps, much better with high end audio.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #7,106 of 22,960
As a child I loved flying, had some bad experiences and had to pop xanax and have a few drinks, but now I'm kind of ambivalent towards it... Rather not fly, but don't have any reasonable options as an alternative. So, I deal with it. Music definitely helps, much better with high end audio.

You should listen to this while the plane is lifting off. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #7,107 of 22,960
Hey guys, still loving my 846'!!!!! will not trade these up for anything, only when Shure release something new lol, have not had as much fun with any other iem (Ref 1 came close). I also advise cutting off the memory wire from the stock cable (thanks to reading moedawg140 suggestion on how to do so!), the fit is so much more comfortable!

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #7,108 of 22,960
Hi guys!! this is an update!!

i bought a hippo circri amp, not the one with added dac(thats the cricri+)... and it sound so clear and good with the shure 846, it sounds so natural and nice, it really is made for the shure 846 in my opinion!:) just thought you guys should know:D

It has a clear sound signature with a clear bass and gain increase:) 

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #7,109 of 22,960
Hey guys, still loving my 846'!!!!! will not trade these up for anything, only when Shure release something new lol, have not had as much fun with any other iem (Ref 1 came close). I also advise cutting off the memory wire from the stock cable (thanks to reading moedawg140 suggestion on how to do so!), the fit is so much more comfortable!

Welcome to the cult.

If I might ask, what made you switch from the Ref. 1 and how would you compare the two?

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #7,110 of 22,960
Welcome to the cult.

If I might ask, what made you switch from the Ref. 1 and how would you compare the two?

thanks man!

I knew i needed the se846 when Warrior1975 kindly loaned me his set, just seriously was like WOW, so much clearer then Ref 1's, the bass is ALOT better defined, mids are are upfront and lush (ref 1 is recessed a little). Ref 1 sounds a little bloated and not as clear, a little muffled in comparison. Ofcourse this is my own opinion, but se846 upfront sound is much more dynamic and fun to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back