Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #7,051 of 22,960
  Still giving me goosebumps everytime I put on the 846 w/ white filters.  It sounds darn good! 

I did my SCS order last week through a gold certified audiologist last week in Toronto.  Did a hearing test and found out I have golden ears
smily_headphones1.gif
.  Went with the Clear Smoke colour to avoid the discolouring of the clear moulds.  The audiologist quoted me $175CAD all in, I hope that's true considering that the Clear Smoke costs additional.  No ETA as of yet.  Hoping I will get them in the next 2 weeks. 

Congrats on the purchase!  I was contemplating the Crystal Smoke color as well, but I thought that after seeing the Crystal color sleeves in person, the Crystal Smoke color looked a little plain to me, even with the glitter in it (Crystal Smoke is currently the only Crystal color to have glitter in it).  You will not have to worry about discoloration regarding your Crystal Smoke color custom sleeves, but make sure to clean them from time to time with warm water and mild soap (do not use alcohol to clean them).  Current USD prices: $175 CAD = $154.61 tell me that you have a great deal for the sleeves, especially when including the additional cost for the Crystal Smoke color!  As for ETA, Monty will be able to explain to you regarding ETA because he lives in Canada, but I would definitely add a week or two to your original ETA (customs, etcetera).  Also, make sure to contact your audiologist if there are any issues regarding fit so Sensaphonics can issue the refit(s) (free within 30 days) for you if need be.

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #7,054 of 22,960
  So I was changing the sleeves today and I noticed a bit of squeaking when I press down on the nozzle of my right earpiece. Anyone experiencing this? I hope it's not an actual issue. 

I find a little bit of flex in my housings too - I think it's normal

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #7,055 of 22,960
  Still giving me goosebumps everytime I put on the 846 w/ white filters.  It sounds darn good! 

I did my SCS order last week through a gold certified audiologist last week in Toronto.  Did a hearing test and found out I have golden ears
smily_headphones1.gif
.  Went with the Clear Smoke colour to avoid the discolouring of the clear moulds.  The audiologist quoted me $175CAD all in, I hope that's true considering that the Clear Smoke costs additional.  No ETA as of yet.  Hoping I will get them in the next 2 weeks. 

I am impressed... All in including the dreaded shipping? If so I am most impressed. Who did you go see.

FWIW either due to my fastidious cleaning of my SCS or the Extra special Ph in my ears I have experienced no discolouration

Any questions as to delivery and it getting back to you just call Caludia at Sensaphonics Toll-free #....

Oh and make sure you tell Claudia to keep your impressions (They will keep them on file for two years in case you need replacement)...

If they do come in at that price I am tempted to order a second pair .. tempted that's all (But it would bring my average cost down)

You know Canada has a population a mere 10% of our Capitalist neighbours to the south Yet the Toronto Area as of late have bought more than our proportional share of SCS.  Hmmmm.

Soon you will as one with the 8s

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #7,057 of 22,960
May I ask you whether you're using stock or aftermarket cables?

Currently the stock cable.  I was unable to attend the Melbourne Head.Fi meet due to circs beyond my control, where I could have given the Ted Allen silver litz a crack.

If I can get SCS done here at ~AU$200, that I must say will be my next investment.  I would love to hear what the audiologist would have to say about the capaciousness of my ears! :p

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #7,058 of 22,960
I'll have a SE846 coming soon, incredibly excited. Was an IEM that I have wanted to try since its release. 

Will post my impressions. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #7,059 of 22,960
Snagged a Spec93 pure silver cable at TAVES show. 

I don't feel comfortable talking about sonic differences in cables.. I think I hear a difference (sound stage 12% improvement, imaging 5% improvement, highs 8% improvement) but at the end of the day it could be placebo and I don't deny that. 

It has no memory wire so I get to retain my warranty as I usually remove that stuff on all cables. Very thin and light. It has the best looking cinch I have ever seen.
Ergonomics of silver braided cables are meh because they are stiff. But if you get it nice and straight and get the ear loops to curve just right it works well and I can do that with this cable. The 4 wire braid before the Y split is very easy to straighten out. The two wire braid after Y split is a lot harder to straighten out but doable. Wrapping the cable around 4 fingers and storing it in the carry case does not really alter the cable's shape. Just run it through your fingers once or twice then it's back to straight.

I have no intention of being overly protective with this cable. It's now my daily driver and we'll see how it holds up. 

MMCX connectors snap in very snugly (zero chance of the SE846 coming out during normal use, even hanging around neck) which means the locking ring is great. The connectors have a tiny bit of wiggle inside the SE846 however I have not experienced any sonic cut outs. I am OCD about that stuff, believe me if it becomes problematic you'll be the first to know. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #7,060 of 22,960

I did my SCS order last week through a gold certified audiologist last week in Toronto.  Did a hearing test and found out I have golden ears :) .  Went with the Clear Smoke colour to avoid the discolouring of the clear moulds.  The audiologist quoted me $175CAD all in, I hope that's true considering that the Clear Smoke costs additional.  No ETA as of yet.  Hoping I will get them in the next 2 weeks. 

Can you let me know which audiologist? I'm in TO area and am interested in the SCS as well

Thanks

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #7,061 of 22,960
So I was changing the sleeves today and I noticed a bit of squeaking when I press down on the nozzle of my right earpiece. Anyone experiencing this? I hope it's not an actual issue. 

Since the squeaking is only happening to your right earpiece, my speculation (and based on member's similar posted issues on this thread) is that either: your earphone housing's gasket may be compromised - causing the squeaking issue, or (what is more common) the threaded collar is not tightened correctly. Making sure the collar is angled and tightened snugly will ensure the rigidity of the stainless steel nozzle's connection to the earphone housing.

Taken from the SE846 user guide, starting at Step 3:

"Place the threaded collar over the nozzle. After ensuring the threads are properly engaged, use the nozzle key to gently turn clockwise.

Caution: There should be no resistance to turning the collar until fully threaded into the housing. Check the following:
• The insert is fully seated in the nozzle.
• The nozzle is properly seated in the housing (dots aligned).

Once you are certain that the nozzle is properly seated and the collar threaded all the way into the earphone housing, use the key to tighten the collar just enough to ensure it will not loosen during normal earphone usage."

It may take a few tries to get it perfectly snug, but keep trying, because once it is snug, you shouldn't have anymore squeaking (or slight loss-of-sound issues). If you are still having issues with a particular earpiece, you can have Shure replace it for you if you provide them a receipt.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #7,062 of 22,960
Since the squeaking is only happening to your right earpiece, my speculation (and based on member's similar posted issues on this thread) is that either: your earphone housing's gasket may be compromised - causing the squeaking issue, or (what is more common) the threaded collar is not tightened correctly. Making sure the collar is angled and tightened snugly will ensure the rigidity of the stainless steel nozzle's connection to the earphone housing.

Taken from the SE846 user guide, starting at Step 3:

"Place the threaded collar over the nozzle. After ensuring the threads are properly engaged, use the nozzle key to gently turn clockwise.

Caution: There should be no resistance to turning the collar until fully threaded into the housing. Check the following:
• The insert is fully seated in the nozzle.
• The nozzle is properly seated in the housing (dots aligned).

Once you are certain that the nozzle is properly seated and the collar threaded all the way into the earphone housing, use the key to tighten the collar just enough to ensure it will not loosen during normal earphone usage."

It may take a few tries to get it perfectly snug, but keep trying, because once it is snug, you shouldn't have anymore squeaking (or slight loss-of-sound issues). If you are still having issues with a particular earpiece, you can have Shure replace it for you if you provide them a receipt.

I've already thanked you in private, but I might as well thank you in public as well. You are an incredibly helpful individual. Head-Fi should be offering awards to people like you. The amount of patience you've shown me is absolutely saint like. If you ever find yourself in the NYC area, drinks are on me. If you don't drink, I'll buy you a sandwich. Thanks again, buddy. 

Edit*

For those who might find useful, it turned out that the collar was not tightened correctly. There was still very slight gap between the collar and the earpiece. I simply reset the nozzle, threaded the collar, and made sure I applied more pressure when it came to tightening said collar. The earpieces were not as fragile as I thought they were. You will need to use a bit of muscle to get a good seal. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #7,064 of 22,960
  Has anybody compared these to the Roxanne? Quite interested in what people think. 

I had the same query some time back, If you use search this thread option with "Roxanne" you will find a couple of impressions. What these impressions say in a nutshell is that SE846 is better. FYI I have not heard the Roxxane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back