Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #7,023 of 22,960
It's the Shozy Alien - a wav and flac player designed for pure SQ (no display or "extra" stuff to mess with the circuit).

Yes, it's angles make it less pocketable, but I love the look of it and the pre-production sample sounded great and has been improved on I believe.

Early reviews highlighted some issues, but Shozy took a few extra weeks to implement changes based on the feedback so I'm really hoping it's a winner (esp. for <$250!!!)

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #7,024 of 22,960
It's the Shozy Alien - a wav and flac player designed for pure SQ (no display or "extra" stuff to mess with the circuit).

Yes, it's angles make it less pocketable, but I love the look of it and the pre-production sample sounded great and has been improved on I believe.

Early reviews highlighted some issues, but Shozy took a few extra weeks to implement changes based on the feedback so I'm really hoping it's a winner (esp. for <$250!!!)

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #7,025 of 22,960
Hey guys just wanted to share my evolving thoughts on the filters.

Back to the blue filters for good for me now.
rolleyes.gif

I realized the whites did not offer what I wanted which is more presence in the +10 khertz region for more air/space like the IE800 and K3003's have.

I felt like the white filters took too much away from the Shure house sound, messing with that very special midrange which makes voices sound like they were recorded using 1950s vintage ribbon mics, which is just freakin magic. The SRH1540s also have this trait, even more so actually. A lot of people don't "get this" and dismiss the 1540s too quickly.

I think using the white filters made them try to sound like every other neutral IEM but didn't quite get there, instead introducing a sharp glare to the sound instead of more air/space and smooth soaring treble that some neutral transducers can convey. I think the blues keep them very unique and sounding very "Shure," really bringing out their special warm/dark tuning that Shure is rightly proud of.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #7,027 of 22,960
  Hey guys just wanted to share my evolving thoughts on the filters.

Back to the blue filters for good for me now.
rolleyes.gif

I realized the whites did not offer what I wanted which is more presence in the +10 khertz region for more air/space like the IE800 and K3003's have.

I felt like the white filters took too much away from the Shure house sound, messing with that very special midrange which makes voices sound like they were recorded using 1950s vintage ribbon mics, which is just freakin magic. The SRH1540s also have this trait, even more so actually. A lot of people don't "get this" and dismiss the 1540s too quickly.

I think using the white filters made them try to sound like every other neutral IEM but didn't quite get there, instead introducing a sharp glare to the sound instead of more air/space and smooth soaring treble that some neutral transducers can convey. I think the blues keep them very unique and sounding very "Shure," really bringing out their special warm/dark tuning that Shure is rightly proud of.

On the Chord Hugo it's super smooth with the white filter. I don't hear a sharp glare? 

The white filter is imo the best. It sounds close to neutral with great bass.  I don't think Shure was trying to make them sound neutral since it is missing treble. But I believe most IEM have trouble being neutral since they lack treble. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #7,028 of 22,960
Hi all,

Is there a new version out? I see there is a new white packaging now, compared to the black one I saw when the se846 was released. Can't seem to find info about this.

Thanks.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #7,029 of 22,960
Hi all,

Is there a new version out? I see there is a new white packaging now, compared to the black one I saw when the se846 was released. Can't seem to find info about this.

Thanks.

I got a pair of SE846 that was assembled in August of 2014 and it had the black box. If you saw it packaged in a white box, it's probably very new. Care to post the photo?

edit*

Alright, I looked up the white box. That's the way the SE846 was packaged during initial release. The new ones come in a black matte box and a plastic case that wasn't included in the white box.

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #7,033 of 22,960
  Hi all i am quite new to this so please help me out ?:) .. i have recently bought a shure 846 and use my iPod classic 5th gen as a player..when theres no songs playing, i can hear a hissing sound, but when the songs plays, it disappears. I also use my HTC one m7 as a player, the hissing sound on this is less and disappears after awhile. The hissing can also be heard on my macbook pro 2012 15 retina, but it only happens on and off.. 

i have heard that it could be due to the impedance or something like that? would using an amp fix this ? if so, can you recommend me a portable amp bellow 100 ? cos i am on a tight budget after getting the 846... 

BTW they still sound amazing on my players, but i feel like the sound could be better as its either too loud or soft.

ps: i am using my shure 425 wires on this as my stock cables went missing :/ , can the cable cause this ? 

thank you in advance for your advice :D 

cheers!:D

I know nothing of impedence graph or other such wizardry... BUT I do own and use an 80g iPod classic (generation 5th.6th??)

Scroll wheel and steam powered the whole nine yards. In today's parlance an iPod for the Amish...

8 + my iPod 80g NO HISS save that which is inherent to certain recordings. No background hiss (Yup just pushed pause.NO Hiss) 

Hope that helps in finding the sourse of the Hiss...

Have you noticed any free roaming Apes in your area .... If so there is your problem  Simian Sabotage

Side note. The 8s make dealing with the leaves (The mass suicide continues) less of a chore and more of an iPod Commercial from back in days gone past.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #7,034 of 22,960
I'm certain that the other reference that I saw to the white box being released in Asia also said that he did not get the box either. Surely if it was just the early release this would have shown up at the very beginning of this thread which it did not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back