Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #7,036 of 22,960
The white box was released in Asia while the black was released in the US. If you go back to the beginning of thread you will see the discussion. I bought the first batch 8s in August of 2013 in the US and it came with the black box. I believe the original white box 8s did not include the pelican style hard case.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #7,037 of 22,960
  My SE846s were purchased late 2013. I need to check manufacture date, but they are a white box, black case version and in the Asia market

Fakes, no doubt! 
evil_smiley.gif

wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #7,039 of 22,960
Much like playback through the MacBook, there is hiss with the newer generation iPod classic, but it is negligible.  In fact, of all the Apple devices, it is probably my favourite in terms of its SQ.  In saying that, my iPhone 6 has yet to arrive (EDD 11 November).

I myself have not had a gander at the date of manufacture...  What I can tell you is that the box is white (the Asian version I believe).  I am guessing that they are a newer batch.  When said new phone arrives I can use the camera to magnify any small print.

It really is interesting how peoples impressions of the blue vs. white filters are.  Treble spike or no, I find the whites to be the most natural.  Since farting around with the blues and a long stint with the modded black I have not had any inclination to switch from the whites.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #7,040 of 22,960
Much like playback through the MacBook, there is hiss with the newer generation iPod classic, but it is negligible.  In fact, of all the Apple devices, it is probably my favourite in terms of its SQ.  In saying that, my iPhone 6 has yet to arrive (EDD 11 November).

I myself have not had a gander at the date of manufacture...  What I can tell you is that the box is white (the Asian version I believe).  I am guessing that they are a newer batch.  When said new phone arrives I can use the camera to magnify any small print.

It really is interesting how peoples impressions of the blue vs. white filters are.  Treble spike or no, I find the whites to be the most natural.  Since farting around with the blues and a long stint with the modded black I have not had any inclination to switch from the whites.

May I ask you whether you're using stock or aftermarket cables?

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #7,041 of 22,960
After playing around with the black for a while, I'm back to the blues. Good low extension and punch without sacrificing clarity- for me this is the perfect setup.

Of course it also depends on source. My 801 is a warmer player and matches better with an IEM that has more clarity. My 901 is more detailed and works well with a warmer IEM. All of this is with a pure silver cable. With copper, I imagine it would be entirely different.

So I guess the choice of filter is really very personal, also dependent on what else is in your setup...

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #7,042 of 22,960

Oh, I would like to add that I do agree with your sentiment that the white filters produce the most natural sound. However, having a library that's full of indie music that isn't the necessary recorded that well left me at a disadvantage. There was just a bit too much sibilance for me to bare. The fact that most of my tracks contained female vocals didn't help. Still, listening to classical music with the white filter was an absolute pleasure, especially those with string instruments. But for everyday listening, I'll have to stick with the blues.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #7,043 of 22,960
I just contacted one of the Sensaphonics Gold Audiologist in my area at John Hopkins Medical. 

They told me the entire process would only cost me $150. That apparently includes the impressions and cost of the pieces themselves and shipping.  Apparently they work with Senaphonics? It almost sounds too good to be true?

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #7,044 of 22,960
I just contacted one of the Sensaphonics Gold Audiologist in my area at John Hopkins Medical. 

They told me the entire process would only cost me $150. That apparently includes the impressions and cost of the pieces themselves and shipping.  Apparently they work with Senaphonics? It almost sounds too good to be true?

Just go with the flow. Haha Although I too doubt that it's really that cheap.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #7,045 of 22,960

If that is the case the audiologist os waiving his fee for impressions... You might want to double-check. Oh and query shipping etc... Which regardless will be cheaper than Canada

I'm any event
... Welcome to the Machine - Symbiosis awaits ⚡

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #7,046 of 22,960

I looked into it when I was contemplating SCS and if memory serves that was the price quoted to me. Rest assured, as Jonhs Hopkins is the finest medical school on the planet, the impressions will be beyond reproach.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #7,047 of 22,960

Just go with the flow. Haha Although I too doubt that it's really that cheap.

Quote:
If that is the case the audiologist os waiving his fee for impressions... You might want to double-check. Oh and query shipping etc... Which regardless will be cheaper than Canada

I'm any event
... Welcome to the Machine - Symbiosis awaits ⚡

Quote:
I looked into it when I was contemplating SCS and if memory serves that was the price quoted to me. Rest assured, as Jonhs Hopkins is the finest medical school on the planet, the impressions will be beyond reproach.

For $150 total (for the clear/opaque sleeve color), the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves are an absolute bargain, compared to what Monty and I have paid for ours.  Regarding shipping, sometimes you will not have to pay if you live in the U.S. and are going through certain audiologists.  Even though I paid more than $150, I did not have to pay for shipping when I went through my Sensaphonics 'Double' Gold Audiologist.  If I was interested in the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves and are in @mitchell4500's position (found out impressions and shipping fees are waived) I would not hesitate to go through with the upgrade, in my honest opinion.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #7,048 of 22,960
Still giving me goosebumps everytime I put on the 846 w/ white filters.  It sounds darn good! 

I did my SCS order last week through a gold certified audiologist last week in Toronto.  Did a hearing test and found out I have golden ears
smily_headphones1.gif
.  Went with the Clear Smoke colour to avoid the discolouring of the clear moulds.  The audiologist quoted me $175CAD all in, I hope that's true considering that the Clear Smoke costs additional.  No ETA as of yet.  Hoping I will get them in the next 2 weeks. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #7,049 of 22,960
  Still giving me goosebumps everytime I put on the 846 w/ white filters.  It sounds darn good! 

I did my SCS order last week through a gold certified audiologist last week in Toronto.  Did a hearing test and found out I have golden ears
smily_headphones1.gif
.  Went with the Clear Smoke colour to avoid the discolouring of the clear moulds.  The audiologist quoted me $175CAD all in, I hope that's true considering that the Clear Smoke costs additional.  No ETA as of yet.  Hoping I will get them in the next 2 weeks. 

Golden ears eh? You should start wearing sleeves over them for protection, like hand models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back