Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3,331 of 22,946
  So this is basically an expensive ui with LO.  I thought the whole point of buying an expensive DAP is for it's analog ability.

The AK100 doesnt have a gain stage (only an output buffer) after the D/A conversion - the volume control is an attenuator only.   

So by passing it, you arent really giving up on any "analog magic".  

Of course, it is doubtful what you gain either - b/c if you just set the volume to max, you are, in essence, getting the signal out of the DAC, just having gone through a buffer stage.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3,332 of 22,946
  Can you expand on this?  What do these do to the sound in general?  Please explain what they are and how they affect the sound on the 846. 

Thank you,
SE

Dumbing it way down... creates pockets of increased bass and pockets of reduced bass.  In a room it would mean that the bass presence would differ as you move around.  In an ear if notes bounce around they get heard again... and again... and again.  A ringing or long decay type of sound depending on the frequency.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #3,334 of 22,946

That is corner reinforcement and it's the last thing you want to do for good bass.  Introduces **** tons of standing waves and cancellation nodes.  That said if you use Comply and get poor bass... use a larger size.  The Comply foam is very soft once it warms up and generally speaking needs to be a size larger than what you would normally use.  Ex. I use medium Shure foam and large Comply to get the same seal.

Sounds possible. Just hot dang the stock medium olives sound amazing but the Comply tips seemed to function like dampening foam. Everything else was A OK.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,335 of 22,946
  Just hot dang the stock medium olives sound amazing but the Comply tips seemed to function like dampening foam.

What happens and whether you like it are two different things :wink:

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3,340 of 22,946
I've been trying to figure out what's so unique about the bass on these, and I know it's easy to say "oh they just emphasize the bass without it imparting an effect on the mids" but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

I went through a battery of music, from fun rock Primus to Queens of the Stone Age to post-rock like Jakob and God is an Astronaut, sludgy black metal like Abest and Black Drop Effect and prog like Scale the Summit and Cloudkicker. Abest in particularly knocked me on my ass with how powerful the bass was, and that's when it hit me:

The bass, as in bass frequencies, don't sound boosted. The bass instruments do.

What I mean is, when you're listening to music on these, it doesn't sound like they've been EQ'ed to boost the low end, it literally just sounds like the amplifiers on the bass guitar or the mic on the kick drum got turned up. If you've ever been to a rock/metal concert live, you know that sound. The sound of the bass drum making the shirt on your chest flutter and the bassist hitting a low string and letting it ring out while your hair stands up. That doesn't happen because the engineer on the mixing board changed the EQ for the whole band, it's because he turned up the volume level of those instruments.

That's what the SE846 manages to do.

When I first turned on "No One Knows" I was actually unhappy as hell. I heard that bass guitar pound and I went "oh crap, the whole song is gonna sound blown out" because this isn't my first rodeo with bassy headphones (my MG7s, what I'd call the inexpensive IEM bass kings, are sitting to my right). When you hear bass in a rock sound play loudly, you know it means the whole song is going to be tilted. Yet, no. Not the case. As soon as the bass guitar stopped, ANY hints of bass boost vanished. On recordings that I know are trebly, it sounds like the "subwoofer" got turned off (and I suppose it did, in a sense). 

I know it's another post about the bass on these, but I had to get it out there. Lots of great headphones have crystalline highs and liquid mids and great soundstages and all these other things, but the SE846 did something REALLY special on the lows, which also worked to the benefit of the rest of the spectrum. Thanks to that excellent crossover and separation, the reproduction of the mids and highs isn't even slightly colored by bass in the drivers. It's just amazing. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #3,341 of 22,946
Hi, I see that there are many positive reviews on this SE846 and it is really very tempting for me to get one for myself. But, I would like to have more options or comparison before pulling the trigger. I am currently a Happy user of Jh5 and will like to look for another option of universal. SE846 seems to be a decent choice, but I will like to have more opinions on comparison of SE846 with some of the IEM around the price range like : Westone W50 and Dita The Answer. Hope someone may enlighten me here. :D

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3,342 of 22,946

This.

When I read reviews of headphones and when the review states that there is copious bass, but only when the recording calls for it - that is what you are finding with the SE846 - when the bass-rich instrument is playing, the headphone responds in kind and doesn't let the note occupy the other frequencies - when the note decays away, the other frequencies go on without missing a "beat" so to speak. Many of my bass-rich headphones in my signature are such headphones - can that can reproduce amazing bass, but only when the recording demands it... 

It is nice to hear that the SE846 is such an IEM.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #3,343 of 22,946
  I've been trying to figure out what's so unique about the bass on these, and I know it's easy to say "oh they just emphasize the bass without it imparting an effect on the mids" but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

That's what the SE846 manages to do.

EXACTLY! Spot screwing On. Right to the essence.
And These go to eleven (with SCS to 42)

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,344 of 22,946
Hmmm interesting as I switched back to the white filters for a while for further comparison after I received my Westone star tips .....may I ask what piano songs were you listening too? I was listening to Robert Glasper and some Brian Culbertson ....

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2dbhqhs6Ghg[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back