Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,316 of 22,954
This is just too cool.
I want my next Custom Sleeves to be Bio Printed. 

bioprinted-living-replica-vincent-van-goghs-severed-ear.jpg

A bioprinted living replica of Vincent van Gogh's severed ear
shrink.png

Artist Diemut Strebe has teamed up with scientists to create a living replica of post-impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh's severed ear using 3D printing and DNA from his great-great grandson.

Strebe and the scientists used Lieuwe's DNA samples, together with a sophisticated 3D bioprinter and computer software, to bioprint skin cells in a shape exactly resembling van Gogh's ear. The ear was then grown in the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

A living ear
The ear could theoretically be kept alive for years, with its cells fed by a nutrient solution. Strebe plans to showcase a full exhibition of her art in early 2015 in New York.

Visitors to the living art piece will be able to actually talk to the ear by speaking into a microphone in front of the exhibit.

The sound is then processed by a computer and converted to simulate nerve impulses in real time, and a crackling sound is produced to "outline absence instead of presence", ZKM's Media Museum explains on its website.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,317 of 22,954
  sorry may i know what is the different between AK100 Mk2 and RWAK100? how about RWAK100-S also different ?

The RWAK100 is a huge difference from the other two. Basically the -S is a DAC+LO only, you must use it with an amp, since there is no HO volume control. These are the mods done from the RW site:

1. Replacing the stock Wolfson WM8740 dac chip with the premium WM8741
  2. Configuring the WM8741 to run in “hardware mode” – eliminating the digital volume control processing
  3. Configuring the WM8741 to use its “minimal phase digital filter” option
  4. Hardwiring the stereo line-out signal to the 3.5mm (1/8”) stereo output jack (formerly the headphone output jack), hence completely bypassing the headphone output stage
  5. Removing the unused digital volume control wheel

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3,318 of 22,954

The RWAK100 is a huge difference from the other two. Basically the -S is a DAC+LO only, you must use it with an amp, since there is no HO volume control. These are the mods done from the RW site:

1. Replacing the stock Wolfson WM8740 dac chip with the premium WM8741
  2. Configuring the WM8741 to run in “hardware mode” – eliminating the digital volume control processing
  3. Configuring the WM8741 to use its “minimal phase digital filter” option
  4. Hardwiring the stereo line-out signal to the 3.5mm (1/8”) stereo output jack (formerly the headphone output jack), hence completely bypassing the headphone output stage
  5. Removing the unused digital volume control wheel

So this is basically an expensive ui with LO.  I thought the whole point of buying an expensive DAP is for it's analog ability.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #3,319 of 22,954
  A living ear
The ear could theoretically be kept alive for years, with its cells fed by a nutrient solution. Strebe plans to showcase a full exhibition of her art in early 2015 in New York.

Visitors to the living art piece will be able to actually talk to the ear by speaking into a microphone in front of the exhibit.

The sound is then processed by a computer and converted to simulate nerve impulses in real time, and a crackling sound is produced to "outline absence instead of presence", ZKM's Media Museum explains on its website.

F that!  For just a *little* more time and energy those lazy bastards could just clone the rest of Vincent, then we could talk to the real deal instead of just the mono version. I mean crap, the least they could do is mirror the one ear so we could at least have a stereo pair to talk to....sheez!

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,320 of 22,954
  So this is basically an expensive ui with LO.  I thought the whole point of buying an expensive DAP is for it's analog ability.

Yes, an expensive transport, but it is supposed to sound very, very good. Users rave about it. Vinnie knows what he is doing.

"analog ability"...what do you mean? Most everything in HeadFi is digital especially the portable stuff. The only analog I know of are wonderful 24/96Hz rips of real vinyl records. Those are definately analog up until the storage stage when they become digital of course.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #3,321 of 22,954
BTW I clipped about an eighth of an inch off the stem of the triple flanges and so far... I'm heavily impressed. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3,322 of 22,954

Yes, an expensive transport, but it is supposed to sound very, very good. Users rave about it. Vinnie knows what he is doing.

"analog ability"...what do you mean? Most everything in HeadFi is digital especially the portable stuff. The only analog I know of are wonderful 24/96Hz rips of real vinyl records. Those are definately analog up until the storage stage when they become digital of course.

the 100's analog section that people buy it for.  If you mod it to bypass it, it's just an overpriced DAC.  You tap into the DAC's output, it's no longer a AK design as it excludes their analog design.  There is no AK flavor to it  Except the ui.  

BTW I clipped about an eighth of an inch off the stem of the triple flanges and so far... I'm heavily impressed. 

If the cannal is wider than the aperture, this makes sense to try.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #3,323 of 22,954

If the cannal is wider than the aperture, this makes sense to try.

The issue I was having with the trips was that they just went in too dang far. Clipping them down made the earpiece smack into my ear cartilage before the tip drove in uncomfortably deep. Still not 100% between that and the stock medium olives.

One thing that baffled me was how Comply tips just made the bass vanish.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3,324 of 22,954
I am wondering if it might be easy enough to acquire an RWAK100 or 120 here in Australia.

The white filters might very well be released back into the world from their cylindrical, contraband-vessel type thing soon, for I have noticed that the piano sounds ever so slightly off with the modded blacks currently in. Hmmmmm....

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #3,325 of 22,954
I am wondering if it might be easy enough to acquire an RWAK100 or 120 here in Australia.

The white filters might very well be released back into the world from their cylindrical, contraband-vessel type thing soon, for I have noticed that the piano sounds ever so slightly off with the modded blacks currently in. Hmmmmm....

Hmmm interesting as I switched back to the white filters for a while for further comparison after I received my Westone star tips .....may I ask what piano songs were you listening too? I was listening to Robert Glasper and some Brian Culbertson ....

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #3,326 of 22,954
Here is my review of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

I hope you enjoy the read as much as the enjoyment I had in writing it.
popcorn.gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3,328 of 22,954

The issue I was having with the trips was that they just went in too dang far. Clipping them down made the earpiece smack into my ear cartilage before the tip drove in uncomfortably deep. Still not 100% between that and the stock medium olives.

One thing that baffled me was how Comply tips just made the bass vanish.

Bass needs good seal, and reflections.  Subs work best on a corner near a wall as it reflects.  The complies material doesn't have a reflective surface so therefore it will dampen the bass.  Unless you are talkin about the stock provided complies which has reflective coating, then I dunno.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #3,329 of 22,954
  Bass needs good seal, and reflections.  Subs work best on a corner near a wall as it reflects.

That is corner reinforcement and it's the last thing you want to do for good bass.  Introduces **** tons of standing waves and cancellation nodes.  That said if you use Comply and get poor bass... use a larger size.  The Comply foam is very soft once it warms up and generally speaking needs to be a size larger than what you would normally use.  Ex. I use medium Shure foam and large Comply to get the same seal.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,330 of 22,954

That is corner reinforcement and it's the last thing you want to do for good bass.  Introduces **** tons of standing waves and cancellation nodes.  That said if you use Comply and get poor bass... use a larger size.  The Comply foam is very soft once it warms up and generally speaking needs to be a size larger than what you would normally use.  Ex. I use medium Shure foam and large Comply to get the same seal.

Can you expand on this?  What do these do to the sound in general?  Please explain what they are and how they affect the sound on the 846. 

Thank you,
SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back