Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #3,286 of 22,954

The place I bought the SE535s has the 846s so I'm almost definitely going out tomorrow to talk about a swap, LOL. It's a 2 hour drive, though. So I do want to make sure there's a good chance I'll be changing before I head out.

So the bass is standout, but not in the sense of being overly boosted? I suppose I'll be listening for myself, just sort of mentally preparing myself for this. 

If I do say so myself, my vocabulary is anything but limited, however I am at a loss as to how I could go about explaining how the bass differs between the Shure SE846 and the mass marketed bass heavy headphones that are ready to audition at any JB Hi Fi store (replete with vanity mirrors installed on the walls! - rofl!).  If I had not handed my IE8s to my mother this job might be a lot easier.

As I say, you are not just hearing music through these things; the experience is much more engaging than that.  Bass, frankly, has a lot to do with this, for it is a major component in rhythm.  If real dubstep is your thing (no, Skrillex is not dubstep - think Mala, Distance, Hatcha etc.) the 846 has the ability to plunge to some seriously abyssal sub-bass depths.  No strange, other-worldly, fluorescent (if we could see them) creatures who somehow manage to exist in spite of receiving virtually no sunlight were harmed during this expedition.  In other words, bass detail spans the sub, the mid and the upper without compromising detail that lies beyond.

Flicking through my collection it is very difficult to find a track that is light on bass.  "The Ballad of John & Yoko" is the best I could find before losing my patience with iTunes and its shufflings.  The bass guitar rings so true that it is a poignant reminder of the instrument's role in the "rhythm section".  From memory the IE8s rendered this song a walk in stodgy mud.

I am not exactly succinctly answering your question here am I?  Sorry, too many caipirinhas and rum old-fashioneds last night.  I suppose what I am trying to point out is that there is nothing artificial nor boosted about the bass whatsoever.  It is natural (to my ears at any rate - nigh on perfect) and with its impact and detail it is likely you won't listen to your music in the same way again.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #3,287 of 22,954
  LOL your posts are quite literally exactly what I was looking for. I'm a metalhead chiefly with hip hop as a secondary interest (mainly when driving or just bopping around walking the dog), my sources are a Nexus 5 and a Macbook Pro ideally without amps, and the music I tend to test with are bands like Isis and Harakiri for the Sky. Haha you even mentioned Obscure Sphinx, and I often use Void Mother as a quick spot check on how a headphone reproduces drums.

Ah okay. :)  I am only familiar with those bands by name.  Time to investigate methinks.  Abnormal Thought Patterns, Minushuman and Obscure Sphinx have been three excellent finds over the past couple of years.

I love the synergy between the 846 and the MacBook Pro and would love to take that same sound on the road.  Amp free would be an advantage but it's not essential.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #3,288 of 22,954
My friend, I appreciate verbosity when the situation warrants it, and when we're talking about a 2 hour drive to pick up $1000 headphones... it's well warranted. 

Dubstep isn't my thing, but kick drums are. The over-ears I compare everything to are the Pandora Hope VI because, well, they're just an unbelievable piece of hardware and I'm mainly looking for something to replicate that sublime experience when I can't have the PH6 on my head. The SE535 are gorgeous, that's for certain, but I admit that as I continue to listen through them I find myself missing the more impactful kicks that the PH6 provide. 

I suppose it makes enough sense that this would be the case with the SE535 vs SE846, as that 4th driver can sit in the subbass region and fill out the tones there without having any substantial effect up the ladder in the way trying to retune a three-driver system would. It would stand to reason that adding a driver to increase bass response would have a substantially different outcome than doing the same while keeping the same setup. 

Tomorrow is shaping up to be an interesting day. I hope they're not so good they supplant my precious Pandoras. That'd be embarrassing.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3,289 of 22,954

Ah okay. :)  I am only familiar with those bands by name.  Time to investigate methinks.  Abnormal Thought Patterns, Minushuman and Obscure Sphinx have been three excellent finds over the past couple of years.

I love the synergy between the 846 and the MacBook Pro and would love to take that same sound on the road.  Amp free would be an advantage but it's not essential.

I am an absolute neophyte with metal. I comb Bandcamp on the regular and constantly troll through Spotify to find anything new. If Obscure Sphinx and Minushuman are your cup of tea then oh my good man I could fill your playlists no problem, haha. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #3,290 of 22,954
You might have seen me mentioning Wintersun more than once too.  I absolutely adore Time.  It goes to show just how diverse metal really is.

If you occasionally listen to hip hop, may I suggest DJ Krush?

I know absolutely nada about the Pandora headphones in terms of price and performance, hence I am very keen to read your impressions and comparison.  I do enjoy sharing my experiences with others when it helps pulling the trigger.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #3,291 of 22,954
  I have that option as well. But your problem is a looseness in the left ear. I however have the left ear SCS rubbing/pushing down on cartilage areas of my lower outer ear(and maybe pushing out too the lower part of my ear) around the "Antihelix", Antihelical fold Antitargus and targus. (got to love diagrams).

The more I wear them the more sensitive sore the areas get. The soreness goes away but comes back quicker each time I put the SCS in (left ear)

If I send them back at the time I send my molds (someone forget to keep mine in house...not Claudia) my ear will have time to heal up from the strain. Cause these SCS are like cigarettes and a cold. You know you are not helping get better putting them in but...I still do (Just a few songs I say to my self).

The ear really needs days off to heal not a few hours.

Where SCS and the 8s are concerned I have NO impulse control

I am accept this as necessary. I always knew there was a risk going in with SCS but thanks to be advanced research I knew what to expect in this circumstance and Sensaphonics and Claudia in particular blew my expectations away.

I know it is more money again BUT I am thinking since they are redoing them maybe one of those crystal colours. But I kind of dig the flesh colour it does give them that alien Cronenberg/Naked lunch look. (Weekend project)

If it comes down to new cables you and the rest of the cable brain trust will be holding my hand the whole way.(You got to look out for special needs people .
blink.gif
 like me.

I agree about their CIEM if I was a musician I would go with theirs Silicone and a CIEM designed for them and their job (I think there is one other company that does the CIEMs in Silicone like spiral ear but Sensaphonics certainly has a line up of pros using their stuff
Hmm I wonder what kind of cable they employ in their product. .

I found it interesting that if you look at who uses what the musicians tend to go for the 2Max and their engineers use the 3max..

Coffee time

Yeah, I would try to rest your ear for a few days if you can resist the temptation to reinsert your old sleeves.  Once your ear feels better, and you are able to pop in those new remakes, you'll be one step closer to "audio nirvana"!

Once you take a look at the pictures from my review of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves coming up soon, you can make your decision if the Crystal Blue color is right for you!  The clear (opaque) color does look pretty alien looking...and would definitely look interesting with my skin tone!

As for cables, I'm learning more and more about the one that I would get if I was to purchase one (HL Litz Silver SE Cable), but I am not ready to pull the trigger on that purchase just yet, based on the various reviews from the fine users here on Head-Fi.

Yeah, I read all of Taylor Swift's band wanted to be in full 'sync', so they all wear the 2MAX's.  To see the amount of top current (and deceased) musicians on the Sensaphonics clients list is simply mind-boggling, to say the least!

Do I sleep, or do I finish up the review?  Decisions, decisions...
ph34r.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #3,292 of 22,954

Is suspect as Silver Ears alluded to that since the 8s were such a big jump in sound and technology, that it makes marketing sense to make the 8s 3 higher series above the 5  "These go to 11."

As  with cars technology flows down form the flagship to the lower tiers of its fleet.
Rather than dump the lower series they can flow technology down to them and as the next leap forward is ready (and with it a Jump up in price the 7 and 6 series will be introduced offering the exiting 8s or something close to them at or around there current price.

BMW has done this with the introduction of the 1 series 
The 8 series may ultimately not be their flagship series as you will notice they also left the 9 slot open as well   perhaps the yet to be introduced 9 series After a SE9xx series comes the T1000 and then of course Judgement Day (my 8s told me thus).

Guess who just figured out to embed things?

The 8 moniker IMO was just the Genius of SHURE's Director of Marketing  Don Draper "Eyes on the future"

The 4 is probably drivers and

The 6 is  there just to ****** with your head  -"Draper, you magnificent person, I read your book!"

Slightly OT but Keeping with my automotive theme...I would think that putting SCS on your 8s or lower series (you can get SCS for most if not all SHURE IEMs) is like getting a Benz  with an AMG package. (R/Polestar for Volvo; M for BMW, Saleen for Mustangs etc etc)

I believe that is a great analogy, Monty, since I do love cars, and I think the SCS is like the offered packages that can be upgraded; also like adding cylinders to your car, or a supercharger, and whatnot.  Nice...

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #3,293 of 22,954
I do hope that further advancements are a ways off yet, for I am still very much in the honeymoon phase (cocktails on the beach? - no, I'm more of a Swiss challet with a single malt & cigar kind of fellow). Proof of this is that shuffle is still enabled; sample unique sounds in individual tracks rather than listening to full albums as I ordinarily would.

The 8s (now I'm at it :p ) took four years to engineer.so hopefully we see an SE646 before the next breakthrough.

Oh and a thought occurs... The AK240 is well and truly out of the question, for I must find the legal tender required for tuition fees (semester 2 intake in a professional writing course - hello much needed contacts & connections!).

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #3,295 of 22,954

- The best universal IEMs

Right there is a problem.  The problem being "there is no best" universal iem.  There are stand out picks, but another mans meat is another mans poison.  As what hifi used to say (back in the day when they used to, you know review hifi's) a 4 star product in the right system could sometimes be as good as a 5 star product if it suits your taste more.

We are all searching for that one iem/headphone/dap that completes the puzzle.  Unfortunately at least over here in the uk the only way to do that is to spend £££'s.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,297 of 22,954
  Right there is a problem.  The problem being "there is no best" universal iem.  There are stand out picks, but another mans meat is another mans poison.  As what hifi used to say (back in the day when they used to, you know review hifi's) a 4 star product in the right system could sometimes be as good as a 5 star product if it suits your taste more.

We are all searching for that one iem/headphone/dap that completes the puzzle.  Unfortunately at least over here in the uk the only way to do that is to spend £££'s.

It should go without saying that "the best" when discussing any product we want means "the best for me". I'm not interested in keeping up with the Joneses, what I want is to have a collection wherein every product makes me think "yep, that's the best I could have gotten myself." If I try product X and Y and prefer X, I'm not concerned if someone else swears up and down that Y is better. All that matters to me is that I don't find myself wondering if I could have done better. I'm at that point with my others, now I'd like to finish off the IEMs. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3,298 of 22,954

It should go without saying that "the best" when discussing any product we want means "the best for me". I'm not interested in keeping up with the Joneses, what I want is to have a collection wherein every product makes me think "yep, that's the best I could have gotten myself." If I try product X and Y and prefer X, I'm not concerned if someone else swears up and down that Y is better. All that matters to me is that I don't find myself wondering if I could have done better. I'm at that point with my others, now I'd like to finish off the IEMs. 

You could look at it this way most of what you have right now is better then what you had or was out 15 years ago so thats a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back