Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3,361 of 22,954

You're allowed one note card, front and back. And don't try and cheat by printing it out of a computer. :xf_mad:

Then I am truly FUBAR

I believe calling the 846 a successor to the 535 sells the 846 short. The SE846 is in a class by itself in the Shure IEM line up and while there are other great or even greater IEMs it is certainly is a revolution for Shure.

It is there "Super Car". The 535 is a Porsche 911 the 846 is a Porsche 918 Hybrid - Afterburners and all
for your 8s Check out at around 1:20 "9000rpm and BOOM!"  That is the SCS effect :wink:
For your enjoyment  There will be no exam.

/img/vimeo_logo.png 

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,362 of 22,954
  Hi, I see that there are many positive reviews on this SE846 and it is really very tempting for me to get one for myself. But, I would like to have more options or comparison before pulling the trigger. I am currently a Happy user of Jh5 and will like to look for another option of universal. SE846 seems to be a decent choice, but I will like to have more opinions on comparison of SE846 with some of the IEM around the price range like : Westone W50 and Dita The Answer. Hope someone may enlighten me here. :D

Well the 10 mm Dita dynamic driver which many companies use is a good dynamic driver and sounds as well as all the other companies that use a single dynamic driver. The W5 I have not heard but you can search for Headphone Solution which sells both the 846 and W5 and read what they said.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #3,364 of 22,954
I have the Westone w60 and 846. I did my own review on both. Pm me with any questions.

Mind linkin' to those reviews? 

EDIT: checked out the ol' Earphone Solutions reviews and they did bring up a very, very salient point. These things are not the easiest to listen to for long sessions (more than an hour at a time). This isn't to their detriment, it's more like the reality of sitting in a concert where there's no break between songs. The music is SO alive and SO dynamic that you need a break once in a while. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #3,365 of 22,954
Mind linkin' to those reviews? 

EDIT: checked out the ol' Earphone Solutions reviews and they did bring up a very, very salient point. These things are not the easiest to listen to for long sessions (more than an hour at a time). This isn't to their detriment, it's more like the reality of sitting in a concert where there's no break between songs. The music is SO alive and SO dynamic that you need a break once in a while. 

This is correct.

I switched to the modded black filter for this very reason; to help rectify the fatiguing element.

These things (with the white filter) really do bring out the dynamic and heavily distorted power of metal, but after listening to the one, solitary album, I found my ears became fatigued beyond belief, even at a moderate volume. Being legally blind may or may not contribute intrinsically to their sensitivity. This is not at all a bad thing in terms of the Shures making a statement of themselves; oh contrare. It really is a statement of their sheer power and prowess.

As for me however, a round trip by tram or train to Melbourne city centre or my favourite watering holes in Fitzroy/Collingwood (both inner city) chews well upwards of three hours*, hence the need to tame this twin audio assault. The result is a slightly warmer, much less fatiguing presentation.

* Melbourne's tram network: the world's largest, the world's fifth slowest.

Edit: This is now twice in as many week's my Head.fi posting has seen my overshoot my station. I think I might have a problem. :p

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3,366 of 22,954
Yeah, I'm sticking with the blues now. They take just enough of the edge off. I'm also playing with the yellow foams and that seems to help the comfort and consistent fit issue significantly. I have the Westone STAR/TRUE pack coming in the mail today so we'll see what's up when they land.

Also, your blog is awesome. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,367 of 22,954
Has anyone managed to get the Westone True-Fit foams on these, specifically the longer mid-sized one? I literally cannot force them over the nozzle. Now it's stuck halfway on.

I'm exceptionally angry right now.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3,368 of 22,954
Anyone pick this up at an official dealer in Hong Kong?  I'm flying over there next week on business.  I'm thinking of picking up a pair there if the price is right.  So far the only dealer listed in Shure's site is Sunning Citicall, and the price they listed it is about $1000 on their website.  Shure Asia says it retails for $949 here.  If anyone here is from Hong Kong, please confirm the info if correct. :)

If not, I'll wait until I fly to Singapore on December. :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,369 of 22,954
  Has anyone managed to get the Westone True-Fit foams on these, specifically the longer mid-sized one? I literally cannot force them over the nozzle. Now it's stuck halfway on.

I'm exceptionally angry right now.

Wow - I'm very surprised.  Both the Westone Tru-fit foams and the Star-tip silicone tips both are very easy to put on/take off for me.  Actually kind of loose.  I use the largest size for both (orange I believe?).  The tips that are difficult for me to put on/take off are the Shure olives.  I struggle with those.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #3,371 of 22,954
I popped on the shorter tips, the blacks, and it was no problem. The reds just were not happening no matter what. Might have been a bad pair. Had to use my teeth and thank St Jupiter for Shure putting metal nozzles on these.

I was impressed with the STAR silicones, too. Not sure if I was 100% on board with the sound but they're comfy, perfect seal, and SEEMED to sound perfect, I just think I prefer the foam. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #3,372 of 22,954
  I popped on the shorter tips, the blacks, and it was no problem. The reds just were not happening no matter what. Might have been a bad pair. Had to use my teeth and thank St Jupiter for Shure putting metal nozzles on these.

I was impressed with the STAR silicones, too. Not sure if I was 100% on board with the sound but they're comfy, perfect seal, and SEEMED to sound perfect, I just think I prefer the foam. 

I prefer the foam as well but end up using the silicone more often to avoid having to roll the tips for reinsertion when I'm at places like work where I'm frequently interrupted.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #3,373 of 22,954

I prefer the foam as well but end up using the silicone more often to avoid having to roll the tips for reinsertion when I'm at places like work where I'm frequently interrupted.

Can you tell if there's any sonic difference or is that just in my head because I "think" that foams are better acoustically? 

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #3,374 of 22,954

Can you tell if there's any sonic difference or is that just in my head because I "think" that foams are better acoustically? 

I do perceive a sonic difference.  I know that these aren't technical terms, but for me the foams seem to give a more laid back, "natural" sound while the silicons seem to give kind of an artificial, "excitable" sound that can become fatiguing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back