Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #3,376 of 22,960

I do perceive a sonic difference.  I know that these aren't technical terms, but for me the foams seem to give a more laid back, "natural" sound while the silicons seem to give kind of an artificial, "excitable" sound that can become fatiguing for me.

That's good enough for me. I thought that's what I was hearing as well. I was also impressed with how "transparent" the yellow foams sounded. I might use them some more.

This is the first product where "too good" seems to be an accurate description (now that I've remedied fit/cleaning issue). Right now I'm having a hell of a time with the fact that these things are so precise that I can tell exactly how the band's mic setup was. The snare is slightly off center, I know it. They use different guitars for left/right channels and the left one isn't quite as well played, I know it. Band has a left-handed drummer because the high hats are on the right instead of the left, I'm well aware. It's almost a problem, LOL.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,377 of 22,960

That's good enough for me. I thought that's what I was hearing as well. I was also impressed with how "transparent" the yellow foams sounded. I might use them some more.

This is the first product where "too good" seems to be an accurate description (now that I've remedied fit/cleaning issue). Right now I'm having a hell of a time with the fact that these things are so precise that I can tell exactly how the band's mic setup was. The snare is slightly off center, I know it. They use different guitars for left/right channels and the left one isn't quite as well played, I know it. Band has a left-handed drummer because the high hats are on the right instead of the left, I'm well aware. It's almost a problem, LOL.

I have to admit that I was initially not impressed with these but they've "grown" into my go-to IEMS.  The just seem to sound "right", very musical to me.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #3,378 of 22,960

Can you tell if there's any sonic difference or is that just in my head because I "think" that foams are better acoustically? 

The bass is puncher with the black silicon tips than the foams, I don't like the long versions, they tend to reduce the sound stage. I found the new version of the shure olives more comfortable and similar sounding to the true fit tips, and the durability is pretty decent too.

The less the tips interact with sound, the better, so I cut a slight bit <1mm off the black silicon so the nozzle opening nearly lines up with the bore opening, solving the 'bigger bore size is better' problem. Unfortunately the silicon tips hurt my ears after a 2-3 hours, the shure olives are more comfortable for long listening periods.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #3,379 of 22,960
One of the reasons I like the Monster foams is that the tip of the tip is of a harder material and doesn't attenuate the high frequencies as much as traditional foam - but the easiest way to keep foams from effecting sound is in how you squeeze them prior to insertion - I try to place the tip as far down the nozzle as possible and squeeze the foam without shrinking the bore as best I can - if the bore can stay open - there is less attenuation....

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #3,380 of 22,960
  Anyone pick this up at an official dealer in Hong Kong?  I'm flying over there next week on business.  I'm thinking of picking up a pair there if the price is right.  So far the only dealer listed in Shure's site is Sunning Citicall, and the price they listed it is about $1000 on their website.  Shure Asia says it retails for $949 here.  If anyone here is from Hong Kong, please confirm the info if correct. :)

If not, I'll wait until I fly to Singapore on December. :)

Most places has the 846 for $6800 Hong Kong Dollars it used to be $7800 and they are Shure Dealers and big important audio stores.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #3,382 of 22,960
i'm facing with a big issue with my new earphones SE846 received 2 weeks ago, and would like to share that with all of u and see also if i'm alone to have that problem : 

since three days, the right ear of my earphone is not working well.
exactely : the sound of the led ear is higher than the sound of the right ear.

i thought that it was du to connexion problem, but after haven disconnected and reconnected, i realized that it is still the same.

i'm i alone to get that problem with SE846 ?
the manufacturer as me to send back, i'm thinking to request for refund.

regards
sam 

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #3,383 of 22,960
How much higher? Are we talking a significant amount or just a faint difference? Does it happen with both cables?

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,385 of 22,960

yes that happens with both cable.
and the difference is very significant
i change the cable and the sound of the right ear is still lower than the left one

Sounds like exchange time. I'd imagine Shure would bend over backwards for you given that it's the product it is.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #3,386 of 22,960

Sounds like exchange time. I'd imagine Shure would bend over backwards for you given that it's the product it is.

Sure propose me to exchange with ''new'' earphone
and the supplier propose me refund and exchange
so i'm fearing, if i accept the exchange and it happens again with the new item, don't know what to do.
i'm wondering wether many items were not defectives like mine

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #3,387 of 22,960
  Sure propose me to exchange with ''new'' earphone
and the supplier propose me refund and exchange
so i'm fearing, if i accept the exchange and it happens again with the new item, don't know what to do.
i'm wondering wether many items were not defectives like mine

I doubt it's an especially common problem, but unfortunately mechanical problems happen in all products. There has never been a product with a 100% success rate that I'm aware of unless there were so few of them the manufacturer could hand-test each one extensively first. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #3,389 of 22,960
Yeah, I'm sticking with the blues now. They take just enough of the edge off. I'm also playing with the yellow foams and that seems to help the comfort and consistent fit issue significantly. I have the Westone STAR/TRUE pack coming in the mail today so we'll see what's up when they land.

Also, your blog is awesome. 

As Mr. Burns (and possibly Monty) would say, "thankyou, masked stranger!" :) I must update it at some stage today too.

In terms of the black modded filter (the small pieces of foam removed) vs the whites; I mentioned earlier that the piano does not quite sound the same. It is not "tonally off" as I put it, rather its presentation is a little more relaxed. Slightly darker perhaps. It still sounds magnificent, of course, however just a tad less striking.

Take for instance the concluding piano passage toward the end of this (hopefully I have the correct track):
[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=alo7A0NLmxU[/VIDEO]

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #3,390 of 22,960
Wow - I'm very surprised.  Both the Westone Tru-fit foams and the Star-tip silicone tips both are very easy to put on/take off for me.  Actually kind of loose.  I use the largest size for both (orange I believe?).  The tips that are difficult for me to put on/take off are the Shure olives.  I struggle with those.

Yes they worked for me as well not very hard to take off nor put on but they didn't fit as well with me so I used the star tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back