Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #3,391 of 22,960
As Mr. Burns (and possibly Monty) would say, "thankyou, masked stranger!" :) I must update it at some stage today too.

In terms of the black modded filter (the small pieces of foam removed) vs the whites; I mentioned earlier that the piano does not quite sound the same. It is not "tonally off" as I put it, rather its presentation is a little more relaxed. Slightly darker perhaps. It still sounds magnificent, of course, however just a tad less striking.

Take for instance the concluding piano passage toward the end of this (hopefully I have the correct track):
[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=alo7A0NLmxU[/VIDEO]

Hmmm ok I was starting to wonder too because I found the piano to sound very good, I think the Black mod filter "Grey" ☺️ was a very good idea think it's had a very good effect.....

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,392 of 22,960
Now this is intereting. After a week or so with the SCS in (now back in the shop being remade as Full Shell. (OT seems the 8s weight and orientation can cause for some the pull down creating fit issues. ...Thank you Claudia is there nothing you don't know) The Medium Olives go back in my ear with no soreness or problem.

LT I am sticking SCS but obviously giving the canal a 2 weeks free of Foam pushing against them has healed them up.
Of course the problem was caused because the 8s are so damn good I was wearing them 2hrs plus for days at a time.

Still nice to know I can listen to my 8s for 30 min hour again .

That said I intend to be sparing with this. I don't want to redo the Olive experience. (I swear my canal was starting to clench like a sphincter after a visit to the proctologist when I tried to put the Olives in (which put me on Comply's (they just don't sound as good)

BLack Lable "thank you, masked stranger!" (Brilliant) 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #3,393 of 22,960
I do wonder.

If silicone customs are considered the top option, why are the silicone universals considered worse than the foams? I thought the issue was the material itself being less than optimal. It seems like people love SCS, love foams, hate the silicone tips that come with the SE846. I don't get it. Any explanation there?

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3,394 of 22,960
  I do wonder.

If silicone customs are considered the top option, why are the silicone universals considered worse than the foams? I thought the issue was the material itself being less than optimal. It seems like people love SCS, love foams, hate the silicone tips that come with the SE846. I don't get it. Any explanation there?

Welcome to the wacky, wonderful World of HeadFi where everything is debatable and opinions are unlimited.
blink.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #3,395 of 22,960

Welcome to the wacky, wonderful World of HeadFi where everything is debatable and opinions are unlimited.
blink.gif

I just don't understand that one. It seems like a given "fact" that silicone tips are inferior to foams, but then silicone molds are superior to foams? How does that work?

I was wondering if anyone with expertise on the subject could chime in.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,397 of 22,960

I just don't understand that one. It seems like a given "fact" that silicone tips are inferior to foams, but then silicone molds are superior to foams? How does that work?

Wow judging by your post count I really shouldn't have to answer this...I would have thought...but, what the hell...

There is absolutely NO facts that silicone eartips are inferior to foam eartips. It's obviously personal opinion.

Silicone is used for earmolds like SCS, ACS, and CIEM's because it can be molded (starts ourt a liquid then hardens) to your specific ear pattern presumably done by an audiologist. Can't do that with foam, period.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #3,398 of 22,960
i'm facing with a big issue with my new earphones SE846 received 2 weeks ago, and would like to share that with all of u and see also if i'm alone to have that problem : 

since three days, the right ear of my earphone is not working well.
exactely : the sound of the led ear is higher than the sound of the right ear.

i thought that it was du to connexion problem, but after haven disconnected and reconnected, i realized that it is still the same.

i'm i alone to get that problem with SE846 ?
the manufacturer as me to send back, i'm thinking to request for refund.

regards
sam 

Have you tried reinstalling the filters - even if they appear to be seated properly?

Had the very same panic before with blue filters but oddly changing to white filters the volume balance was fine. Then went back to the blue filters and fine again. No idea how or why or what happened.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #3,399 of 22,960
Have you tried reinstalling the filters - even if they appear to be seated properly?

Had the very same panic before with blue filters but oddly changing to white filters the volume balance was fine. Then went back to the blue filters and fine again. No idea how or why or what happened.

Like you said, they might not be seated correctly - not all the way in - which will account for big differences in sound and/or volume. The ultimate "are they different L to R" would be to listen with NO filters, just to check.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #3,400 of 22,960

Still have the same problem, even i have removed all the filters and play the music in order to compare the sound coming from the ears. 
i realized that the problem is still there even filters et other accessories connected.

the right earphone is defective i think

sam

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #3,402 of 22,960

While hardly an expert I will wade in UF silicone condom nozzles are thin little cones that "seal" the opening to the ear canal. The Westone Star Tips (which I have not used) appear to have internal ribs to give them amore (I think )structural rigidity and probably give a better seal than the Shure's. IMO the Olives provide a superior seal and thus ultimately sound better(to me) in the UF nozzle condom debate. Never tried the Westone Tru Tips can't comment . But over time sore and scratchy.

The Original Clear Shure Silicone UF nozzle condoms where thinker and harder than they current grey soft silicone. They gave a great seal but hurt like hell.

the SCS nozzle condom are made of the dese medical grade silicone that Sensaphonics uses to make their CIEM (FYI you cannot have acrylic on half and Silicone for the Custom part as there is a real weak point at the seam of the two materials.

The SCS like a CIEM is Custom molded to your WHOLE ear canal right up to the bend. The result is a perfect seal and much deeper insertion. The SCS opens up the sound (I found) Because Silicone has some give (remember it is a thick block of Silicone with a hole drilled in it for the sound to come out (oversimplified to be sure). But they have more give than acrylic which is why they give a great seal as they can adjust somewhat to movements like when you move your mouth this is why the seal on Acrylic  CIEM tend break more often then Silicone (Sensaphonics Spiral Ears ACS.

A great article on CIEM which discusses Silicone vs Acrylic and why Foam etc of UF will cause discomfort over time is below.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

a choice quote:
Some readers may be thinking "What's the big deal? Universals are comfy enough." Many people suffer from moderate to intense fit issues with universals, but even if that's not a problem, I'd say you really don't know comfort until you've experienced a custom fit. Those universals may seem great for 30 minutes or an hour, but try a 4 hour train ride or a 12 hour flight—the ear canal simply does not respond well in the long term to an expanding material exerting pressure to create a seal, it doesn't matter if it's a stock silicone tip or a foam Comply tip

Got to walk the dogs
RE Sensaphics CIEM,,,,, There is something in the piece about why Acrylic CIEM lose their seal easier than silicone. SO why then are most CIEM mae of Acrylic and not Silicone it has a lot to do with artwork and customization etc.

That's my 2 cents 

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,403 of 22,960
You enjoying them?

Perfect, thank you Tony-san.

Actually already own SE846 from Tokyo trip Easter 2014! So much so sold the SE535 and Phonak 232. Only have Heir 4.ai left...

The second SE846 is for a different rig. Need to get a cable commissioned however.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3,404 of 22,960

I prefer silicon over foams any day. Easier to take in and out. No absorption of frequencies. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3,405 of 22,960
Comfort I get, but my point was concerning the sound. It's like this weird oreo of quality claims where UF silicone is worse than foam but CF is better. Like silicone doesn't reach its potential until it's molded.

Makes no sense to me. I was wondering if there's any kind of acoustic explanation or if the custom fit supremacy is more rooted in comfort than sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back