Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3,407 of 22,960
  I prefer silicon over foams any day. Easier to take in and out. No absorption of frequencies. 

This is one I'm really curious about because it seems to be a "depending on who you ask" thing. Some say that the silicone attenuates frequencies, others that the foam absorbs. A/B testing tips is annoying and difficult to know if you're genuinely hearing a difference and what difference you're hearing. Are there any good studies on it?

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,408 of 22,960

Star Of A Story (by Heatwave) is just the latest example of why I don't like the 846 and DX90 pairing. I first heard this song on my neighbor's Marantz system in the late 1970s. I remember the double beats of the bass-drum shaking the floor because of his huge towering speakers (that were taller than I was at the time). On the DX90, the bass drum is weak and panned right (at ear level) with part of the vocals and music in the same area. The bass-line is panned left and crammed in with the other part of the vocals and music. It's like watching a 3D HDTVs that's out of focus without the 3D glasses. The soundstage (I'm get with the DX90) is suffocating. It's so tiny and lacking in detail, separation, and energy

On the Note 3 (with V4A) the vocals are almost overhead and deep (wide right and left). The bass-line and bass-drum are only slightly off center at throat level. And, the throat rattling bass drum is heavy enough to fill the bottom of the entire soundstage. Everything seemed to be in the right place (with good layering and depth).

The song sounded weird on the DX90. On the Note 3 , it took me back (Ratatouille style) to the late 1970s. It's time to gather the DX90's included cables (and whatnot) to ship it back from which it came.

I am so very glad you made that post.  The DX90 was my most likely candidate for a DAP upgrade and I think you saved me some grief as well as money.

My weapon of choice at this time remains the S4 with V4A, and I gotta tell you - it rocks.  Plain and simple.  V4A is largely responsible for the incredible sound, though.   And incredible it is.

Seems I am again in your debt.  Thank you.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,409 of 22,960

I am so very glad you made that post.  The DX90 was my most likely candidate for a DAP upgrade and I think you saved me some grief as well as money.

My weapon of choice at this time remains the S4 with V4A, and I gotta tell you - it rocks.  Plain and simple.  V4A is largely responsible for the incredible sound, though.   And incredible it is.

Seems I am again in your debt.  Thank you.

V4A is diesel. Just the driver is enough, I don't even touch the settings. That plus using TricksterMOD to bump the volume a bit makes the Nexus 5 all I need it to be.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3,410 of 22,960
ay
  So I have a question that I already know the answer to, but I feel like I should say it anyway.

The 846's increase over the 535: just how significant is it?

Damn.  So sorry I did not pick up on this earlier.

One thing I know about you is that you own and like Atrios, so that makes it easy.

Close your eyes.  Imagine the bass of the Artios but better - more accurate and detailed, but every bit as deep and wide. As hard hitting and rumbling.   Now add mids and highs - like Future Sonic has never known and Westone aspires,  to and you have the SE846's.

I have spent a considerable amount of time between the 846s and MG7s and it is always a struggle for me - to decided which bass I prefer.  In the end, and I hate to say this because I so love my Atrio MG7's, the 846s win out.  The difference is the definition, the clarity and the detail.  The MG7s are, of course, dynamic drivers so you get that fuller sound, but what I have come to realize is that the 846s make the same massive quantity of bass sound more 'musical', whereas, the MG7s, when compared to the 846s, sound more like an effect.  The 846s simply make it all sound more like instruments making music.  No matter how loud, how EQ'd, how bass boosted I have them, or how high I have the volume turned, the Shures absorb it all and ask for more.  I cannot exceed their capabilites to produce the most amazing bass.  Not true with the Atios.  While the MG7s can take ANYTHING you throw at them, I have ran into a few (rare as it may be) instances...a few songs where the Atrios bass simply did not sound good at such extremes without adjusting the EQ.

The fact is, I dearly love them both.  The bass between them, while different, compliment one another - like a very insightful second opinion.  Its interesting to listen to the different harmonic interpretations of such bass laden songs as justify my love and angel.

Unfortunately for the Atrios, the 846s come with amazing mids and highs (yeah, thats right - I DON'T USE FILTERS AND I AINT CHANGING FOR NO ONE) as well, and thats the game changer for me.....Sad to say.  I will never part with the MG7s because I have too much love, admiration and respect for ANYTHING that can produce that kind of bass, but I have pretty much retired them.  Simply put, there's a new sheriff in town.  Still, in my opinion, humble or otherwise, I own the top  two bass cannons known to the IEM world.  Maybe known to ANY world...who knows.

Don't know if you remember this but it was you who helped me make that decision to buy the Atrios some months ago - something I am eternally grateful for.  Thanks again for all your input and help.

Now...go buy you some 846s.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #3,411 of 22,960
My take on silicone vs. foam:

While using the Sennheiser IE8s, I used Ultimate Ears silicone tips.  I did this from day dot, for I absolutely loved the tips when I previously owned the UE Triple fi 5, and had read several people say on Head.fi that they also used their leftover UE tips with their newly purchased Senns.  Most people found the included set of stock Sennheiser tips to be crap so on the strength of that I stuck with what I knew.

Good thing I like to horde such items.

I am of the thinking that acoustic differences are likely to be negligible, and if not that, then highly subjective.  The shape, contours and the seal they create within the ear I would wager has a far greater impact than the materials used on acoustics, absorbance, etc.  As such, the UE tips do not isolate as much as the Shure Olives, however they performed their role in delivering sound to the ear well enough.

As for sources, the Galaxy S5 could be next in line for examination.

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3,412 of 22,960

While hardly an expert ...

A great article on CIEM which discusses Silicone vs Acrylic and why Foam etc of UF will cause discomfort over time is below.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

a choice quote:
Some readers may be thinking "What's the big deal? Universals are comfy enough." Many people suffer from moderate to intense fit issues with universals, but even if that's not a problem, I'd say you really don't know comfort until you've experienced a custom fit. Those universals may seem great for 30 minutes or an hour, but try a 4 hour train ride or a 12 hour flight—the ear canal simply does not respond well in the long term to an expanding material exerting pressure to create a seal, it doesn't matter if it's a stock silicone tip or a foam Comply tip

That's my 2 cents 

Two More Cents
Addendum:
Also from that article (link above)

Like Sensaphonics, Spiral Ear specializes in custom earphones made out of soft, medical-grade silicone in contrast to the more common hard acrylic shells. Generally speaking, the flexible silicone material can provide a more consistent seal and better noise isolation compared to acrylic, which certainly holds true .....

Sensaphonics is something of a unique company compared to the other "old school" custom IEM...

And a key difference: They use soft silicone shells rather than acrylic..... . The downside to silicone is a lack of customization—some limited color and art can be done but nothing as complex as their acrylic counterparts.

Let's talk about fit and comfort for a minute. With a good fit, acrylic custom IEMs are exceedingly comfortable, so much so that one can easily wear them for many hours without issue. And yet I find that silicone is even more comfortable. How can this be? The main difference comes down to movement. If I sit totally still and just listen, the acrylic is just as good. But acrylic is solid and can't account for small movements generated when I open my mouth or smile or even just look around. And I can be more of an "active" listener so this is a good thing. The soft silicone of the 3MAX bends with my ear canals to continue the effortless comfort and facilitate head bobbing and other movements. So despite inserting deeper into my canals than any of my other customs, and having a "tighter" fit overall, I still find the 3MAX supremely comfortable. Isolation seems very good as well, though interestingly it seems to attenuate some frequencies better and some worse than acrylic models

Since to my knowledge an Acrylic custom sleeve is not available for the 8s It is the solid block of custom silicone going right into your ear seamlessly that improve isolation and the sound I don't know that is subjective,

So as compared to flimsy silicone (Shure) or slightly less flimsy (Star Tips) UF silicone can't hold a candle to the seal and isolation (not to mention the optimal proximity to your eardrum) of SCS and it is that Seal and Isolation that in my limited understanding provides the brilliant sound. That seems more open with a bigger soundstage (assuming I comprehend that term of art. which is a HUGE assumption) 

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3,413 of 22,960
I used Ultimate Ears silicone tips.  I did this from day dot, for I absolutely loved the tips when I previously owned the UE Triple fi 5, and had read several people say on Head.fi that they also used their leftover UE tips ....Good thing I like to horde such items.

Good news if you are low on your hoard. You can order replacements form logitec

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/promotions/6423

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3,414 of 22,960

Still have the same problem, even i have removed all the filters and play the music in order to compare the sound coming from the ears. 
i realized that the problem is still there even filters et other accessories connected.

the right earphone is defective i think

sam

If you feel that just contact Shure and it will be replaced.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,415 of 22,960
  ay

One thing I know about you is that you own and like Atrios, so that makes it easy.

Close your eyes.  Imagine the bass of the Artios but better - more accurate and detailed, but every bit as deep and wide. As hard hitting and rumbling.   Now add mids and highs - like Future Sonic has never known and Westone aspires,  to and you have the SE846's.

I have spent a considerable amount of time between the 846s and MG7s and it is always a struggle for me - to decided which bass I prefer.  In the end, and I hate to say this because I so love my Atrio MG7's, the 846s win out.  The difference is the definition, the clarity and the detail.  The MG7s are, of course, dynamic drivers so you get that fuller sound, but what I have come to realize is that the 846s make the same massive quantity of bass sound more 'musical', whereas, the MG7s, when compared to the 846s, sound more like an effect.  The 846s simply make it all sound more like instruments making music.  No matter how loud, how EQ'd, how bass boosted I have them, or how high I have the volume turned, the Shures absorb it all and ask for more.  I cannot exceed their capabilites to produce the most amazing bass.  Not true with the Atios.  While the MG7s can take ANYTHING you throw at them, I have ran into a few (rare as it may be) instances...a few songs where the Atrios bass simply did not sound good at such extremes without adjusting the EQ.

The fact is, I dearly love them both.  The bass between them, while different, compliment one another - like a very insightful second opinion.  Its interesting to listen to the different harmonic interpretations of such bass laden songs as justify my love and angel.

Unfortunately for the Atrios, the 846s come with amazing mids and highs (yeah, thats right - I DON'T USE FILTERS AND I AINT CHANGING FOR NO ONE) as well, and thats the game changer for me.....Sad to say.  I will never part with the MG7s because I have too much love, admiration and respect for ANYTHING that can produce that kind of bass, but I have pretty much retired them.  Simply put, there's a new sheriff in town.  Still, in my opinion, humble or otherwise, I own the top  two bass cannons known to the IEM world.  Maybe known to ANY world...who knows.

Don't know if you remember this but it was you who helped me make that decision to buy the Atrios some months ago - something I am eternally grateful for.  Thanks again for all your input and help.

846 - BA Driver which has always had the challenge of creating bass but now Shure created a chamber of some sorts to make bass happen and the MG7 which cost less then $200 with a dynamic driver which has always been around to create bass. The 846 bass in my opinion sounds so close to being a dynamic driver. BTW Atrios is Future Sonics the only difference is Future Sonics uses a 13mm Dynamic Driver and it is custom.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,416 of 22,960
  ay

Haha, every bit of this is 100% true and I'm still keeping my Atrios for the same reason. In fact, the SE846 accomplishes something you almost NEVER see in headphones: have people raving about the quality of the bass without it being code for "it lacks bass but sounds good". This is the first case I've seen where the bass is giant AND musical. 

I'm not an IEM hound, my experience is fairly limited, but I will say that the MG7 and the SE846 represent two different styles of bass power and both do it wonderfully.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3,417 of 22,960
  846 - BA Driver which has always had the challenge of creating bass but now Shure created a chamber of some sorts to make bass happen and the MG7 which cost less then $200 with a dynamic driver which has always been around to create bass. The 846 bass in my opinion sounds so close to being a dynamic driver. BTW Atrios is Future Sonics the only difference is Future Sonics uses a 13mm Dynamic Driver and it is custom.

Some people will like the bass sound a DD make and others will like what the 846s do to it.  It is a matter of taste. Personally, I wish there was a switch on the 846s that allowed me to switch between the two sounds at will....on a whim.  I enjoy them both.

Hybrids aside - BAs are always used in multiples in order to produce the full audio spectrum whereas DDs are usually a singular solution to the same problem, as is the case with the MG7s,  Not only do the Atrios have to produce the gutteral deep sub bass detonations that it does, but also produce the sparkling crisp highs as well - and all at the same time....and the Atrios do it magnificently.  To me, the MG7s are like the poor man's version of the 846s.  In other words, if you can't own the Shure flagship, try these.  They are much more budget friendly and sound great as well.  They do not sound as good as the 846s, mind you -  mainly because of the difference in the mids and highs, but the bass is there.  Top notch and excellent. Gut kicking and thunderous.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3,419 of 22,960
  If you feel that just contact Shure and it will be replaced.

i have contacted them, and they asked me to complete a form, then when i checked, it was a repair form.
so i got afraid.
i don't want these new earphones to be repaired and returned to me, while i purchased them only few days ago now.

can you confirm me that, i will received new and very new earphones ?

also i read that i should keep all the accessories, and not send them, it means they will send me back earphones without accessories, how is that possible ?
ok, what do you think ?

even now, i'm thinking to be refunded and purchase some other earphones : H AUDIO ROXANNE 12 DRIVER EARPHONES. link http://www.earphonesolutions.com/roxanne-jh-audio-earphones.html

or the WESTONE W60 6-DRIVER SIGNATURE EARPHONES / link :  http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-w60.html

could someone advice me.

i would like to precise that i like very much the SQ of the SE846, and as they are defective, i'm just looking for upgrade.
sam

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3,420 of 22,960
Like anything else in audio tip rolling should be performed by the end user as perception and preference is all that counts. Your ears are not attached to someone else. There is a difference between discussing personal experience and quoting a link sharing your findings. And quoting a link in isolation to say x vs y tip is better.

I always tell ppl tip rolling costs time only. Maybe a small spend but most manufacturers include decent variety of bundled tips these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back