Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,326 of 22,945
  Sorry for the random question but could someone please measure the size of the square carrying case that comes with the 846`s, thanks

Length and width: 9.5cm 
Height: 3.3cm

May 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2,328 of 22,945
Ted Allen Cables btw.  Silver Litz balanced and 846s are the way to go.  I have my old silver single ended cables from my 535s and wonder what is the point.  If you are willing to spend a grand on 846s, why not get the next 20% out of them with balanced cables?  It may be more (improvement than 20% from balanced)  if someone wants to correct me here.

Cheers!

May 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #2,335 of 22,945

Nice theory.....just make sure you never listen to any Tralucent IEM (1plus2 or Ref.1). You may realize your statement in not realistic or accurate.

I would love to listen to the new Ref.1. It might just be what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, I like the SE846 a lot. Detail and soundstage is impressive but the bass sounds too dry and lacks body/dynamic feel of a DD. Also treble is too rolled off. White filter does improve it a bit but still lacks that extra bit of sparkle IMO.

May 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,336 of 22,945

I would love to listen to the new Ref.1. It might just be what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, I like the SE846 a lot. Detail and soundstage is impressive but the bass sounds too dry and lacks body/dynamic feel of a DD. Also treble is too rolled off. White filter does improve it a bit but still lacks that extra bit of sparkle IMO.

I feel the exact way as you. The bass is too dry and the treble roll off is kind of annoying me and it does lack the sparkle. highs can sound a tad bit dry too. 

May 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,337 of 22,945
If one finds bass lacks body and treble roll off even on white filter, I think 1p2 may help on these factor. The 1p2 has more mid bass than Shure but definitely less sub bass. Really depends what quality of bass one is looking for..

May 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,339 of 22,945

Or using a nice silver cable can effectively reduce the quantity of sub bass

I think a better idea would be to not buy an advertised "true subwoofer" IEM and then set out to reduce its purpose for existing. :p

Seriously, I believe (without proof) that the sub feature is likely the only thing (other than marketing) that separates the 846 from the other (class level) IEMs that are out or coming soon. There's only a few BA manufacturers and there's compensation for different tuning.

May 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,340 of 22,945

I think a better idea would be to not buy an advertised "true subwoofer" IEM and then set out to reduce its purpose for existing. :p

Seriously, I believe (without proof) that the sub feature is likely the only thing (other than marketing) that separates the 846 from the other (class level) IEMs that are out or coming soon. There's only a few BA manufacturers and there's compensation for different tuning.

I totally agree.. I prefer SE 846 sub bass level to IE800,1p2, k3003 and TG334.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back