Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,311 of 22,954
  Your burn-in time start from 0
wink.gif

I'm okay with that, of course :) 

May 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2,312 of 22,954
warm punchy enveloping over bright light and interesting and decay over attack .  like a hug on the brain rather than a tickle  does not lack detail and it slams  . little up down side side sound stage just fits naturally within 2 indiscreet measurements of the outside of the brain hemisphere for about all around the 190/200 degrees mark .nick cave sounds best through these than anything ive heard +1 mids and piano! guitar timbre nothing extra special i am not huge on big bass maybe to much for me i prefer natural ...nothing to complain about here .friggin natural treble with whoptss sound if i abit forward *at times* and out of sync with sounstage
size]
< a word from our sponsers>
size]

May 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2,313 of 22,954
  warm punchy enveloping over bright light and interesting .  like a hug on the brain rather than a tickle  does not lack detail and it slams  . little up down side side sound stage just fits naturally within 2 indiscreet measurements of the outside of the brain hemisphere for about all around the 190/200 degrees mark .nick cave sounds best through these than anything ive heard +1 mids and piano! guitar timbre nothing extra special i am not huge on big bass maybe to much for me i prefer natural ...nothing to complain about here .friggin natural treble with whoptss sound if i abit forward *at times* and out of sync with sounstage
size]
< a word from our sponsers>
size]

basshead.gif
  Most redonkulous  impressions I've heard.   
popcorn.gif
  I like it!  
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #2,314 of 22,954
Fedex just drop off the Furutech cable. I took a few photos to share with everyone. They appear well made especially the connectors. Yes, they do have memory wires but not as thick and inflexible like the stock cable. They are very comfortable instead. The left and right channels are separated almost from end to end, that is nice. I popped them in the earpieces and had very quick listen before heading out. They are a improvement over stock cable, which is very noticeable. As 0 hours, they do improve (or correct) the male voices, makes them a much more natural. I drop some Dubstep music on them for few hours.

May 9, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #2,315 of 22,954
Just as an fyi given all the stock cable ire... it loosens up with use.  It wraps around my pinky easily and the memory wire is also quite easy to form now.

May 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,321 of 22,954
I am listing to Joe Hisaishi in Budokan Studio Ghibli 25 Years Concert just off youtube, SE846 really sing. I have three upgrades so far in my system. First is the DACport 1 Ohm it was the also the largest step toward to great SQ. The second was the red Westone star tips, the improvement is just as significant as the DACport. For those SE846 owners, you owe yourself $15 to see this magic over the Shue tips, the star tips are in another world compare to olive tips. They can create very tight seal (a vacuum affect). The 3rd step is the Furutech cable, they increase volume by almost one O'clock. It is too early to tell how much improvement over stock cable but they are now grain free, smooth, detailed, and natural after only 2 hours of use. They gain dynamic, tonal correctness, and bass control, also increased bass attack, yeah, you hear that right "more attack" over the stock while manage to be smooth. The bass definition and detail with Shure + Furutech combo are generous,  I am very impressed with their price to performance ratio. At this stage, I am not looking back to my Meridan G08 + ModWright modded Woo WA22 + GEC tubes + LCD-2 + ALO reference 8 (old version) anymore.  All this performance level is achieved with Macbook + $300 DAC/Amp + SE846 + recable 
beerchug.gif

By the way I ordered the 10 Ohm version of the DACport, just to confirm the theory and rumor behind the 1 Ohm mod. My next step is to get a different USB cable with signal and power are separated. Any suggestions? It has to be under $200. So far this IEM project has been very fun and with a lot less stress on my wallet. Happy Head-Fing 

May 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,322 of 22,954
If any nick picking, the vocal naturalness or tonal correctness of SE846 is still little behind Westone UM Pro 50 I had and also not as comfortable as the Pro 50, but it crush the Pro 50 in all other areas.

May 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2,324 of 22,954
I must say that I am turned around on the soundstage matter.  These badboys are incredible; sound envelopes (for want of a better word) the mind.  Bass can be heard against the ears, up top and right in the centre depending on the recording and what I am listening to.

Imaging is also spectacular!

While listening to Tubular Bells III again the other night I felt the guitar lost a little bit of its texture and became rather sibilant as it reached the highest of high notes however a. I am sure a better cable will rectify this and b. it matters not when every other aspect of the SE846s' sound is nigh on perfect in every other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back