Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,281 of 22,946
  Picked them up from the post office this morning. Initial impressions, I have to say I feel a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected the jump in SQ to be bigger. Things I noticed right away are it's wide soundstage and good instrument separation. Other than that, I cant say that it sounds substantially better than my Merlins.

Listened to the IE800 yesterday and those got me excited right away. It was probably because of the treble which is much more extended than both the Merlins and SE846. 
I'll give the SE846's some more time though. I've only listened to them for an hour with blue filters.

Fit is very good since they are very light. But they are actually bigger than I thought and don't sit quite as flush as I expected.

Yeah try white filters, it boost the treble substantially than the blue filter. 

May 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,286 of 22,946
I have small ears, I'm 5'3". I heard on a you tube review that they can be painful for little ears. Plastic digging into the ears. You'd thoughts please.
Todd

That is almost completely dependent on the eartips you choose. Westone Star Tips come in a wide variety lengths and sizes. If you can find one that is comfortable to you the 846 will be comfortable.

May 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,287 of 22,946
  Treble is much better with the white filters, but there is still a bit of roll-off on the top end. You'll have to let us know how they compare again after swapping them out.

Yeah try white filters, it boost the treble substantially than the blue filter. 

Well, I think I found the problem. The stock silicone tips don't really work for me. I guess due to the shape of my ear canals the already small bore of the tips are being squished which alters the sound dramatically. Switched to the yellow foams and immediately the sound became a lot clearer. I am liking what I hear, a lot actually - very impressive!

Bass is probably the best I've heard from a BA. Nicely extended all the way down with good speed and detail. But I have the feeling there's something a BA can't provide compared to dynamic drivers when it comes to bass. Compared to the Merlin it sounds a bit dry whereas the Merlin sounds more dynamic and natural. SE846 are more accurate though. 

Mids are very smooth. This is my first Shure IEM and having read all the praises about the "shure mids" I expected them to be much more forward and kind of 'in your face'. I recently listened to the TG!334 from a friend and loved it's mids, so I hoped for the SE846 to be similar in this area. Still, female vocals sound very impressive. 

Highs for me are still a bit too rolled off. I'll try the white filter later and hopefully it will give me that extra bit I'm looking for. 
I'll let you know what I think.  

May 8, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,288 of 22,946

Well, I think I found the problem. The stock silicone tips don't really work for me. I guess due to the shape of my ear canals the already small bore of the tips are being squished which alters the sound dramatically. Switched to the yellow foams and immediately the sound became a lot clearer. I am liking what I hear, a lot actually - very impressive!

Bass is probably the best I've heard from a BA. Nicely extended all the way down with good speed and detail. But I have the feeling there's something a BA can't provide compared to dynamic drivers when it comes to bass. Compared to the Merlin it sounds a bit dry whereas the Merlin sounds more dynamic and natural. SE846 are more accurate though.

Mids are very smooth. This is my first Shure IEM and having read all the praises about the "shure mids" I expected them to be much more forward and kind of 'in your face'. I recently listened to the TG!334 from a friend and loved it's mids, so I hoped for the SE846 to be similar in this area. Still, female vocals sound very impressive.

Highs for me are still a bit too rolled off. I'll try the white filter later and hopefully it will give me that extra bit I'm looking for.

Can you do comparison of TG!334 vs SE846, maybe can ask borrow from your friend and do back to back listen, I'm thinking of selling for  TG!334, I hear it's quite musical, but haven't been able to find a pair to listen myself.

May 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,289 of 22,946
I have small ears, I'm 5'3". I heard on a you tube review that they can be painful for little ears. Plastic digging into the ears. You'd thoughts please.
Todd

In your ear canal no, in the ear cavity if they really are small... yes.  I have good sized ears and the 846 is a tight fit for my cavity.  Worse case you could use long foam tips so that it sits further out.  Not recommended sound wise but if the body is bigger than your ear cavity it will help.

May 8, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,290 of 22,946
In your ear canal no, in the ear cavity if they really are small... yes.  I have good sized ears and the 846 is a tight fit for my cavity.  Worse case you could use long foam tips so that it sits further out.  Not recommended sound wise but if the body is bigger than your ear cavity it will help.

I tried the triple flange for the first time a few days ago. It sounded okay felt totally wrong because the shells were sticking way out. Anybody using them must have some pretty weird ears.

I'm starting to like the yellow sleeves. I ordered the Westone Star tips too.

May 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,291 of 22,946

I agree with your assessment.  Although I like the fit of the olives, but did not like the narrow bore which I thought distorts the highs.   And I prefer silicone material as I typically notice high end damping with complies(not the Shure stock) or foams.  I wish olives had wider bore, and I think star tips have wider bore with silicone material.  I did think the shure complies with smooth surface worked nicely.

I thought the 334 does well with vocals if you fit them right. My ears did not agree with 334's stock tips, but I found aftermarket FMJ high friction tips and reduced the insertion and worked wonders as deep insertion emphasizes the bass and overbears the vocals.

As far as imaging, 846 has layering which is quite nice.

May 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #2,292 of 22,946
Hi there, I had the same issue 2 weeks after i bought the IEM. The creaking noise started developing when i switched filters (Black to Blue). A few days later i changed the filters back from Blue to Black. The creaking notices disappeared thereafter. My guess is that I had not placed the filter into the IEM properly and failed to tighten the screw that secures the nozzle properly. I would suggest that you remove the filter and try putting everything into place properly. Make sure that the filter fits into the hole snugly and and that the nozzle is lodged into IEM firmly.

From what you have written, it sounds like the nozzle is not firmly screwed to the IEM. Hopefully this advise help to resolve your issue. 

I'm actually having this exact same issue, unfortunately. I've tried taking everything out, putting it back in, making sure everything is tightly secured, etc. The ring itself, that the screw, well, screws into, seems to be loose. As in, it seems to be able to rock back and forth ever so slightly. So when I fiddle with my sleeves or ear insertion I can hear a creaking noise. This does not happen in the left monitor, only the right one (the problematic one). 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming I have to send them back to Shure for checking. This is maddening. it shouldn't happen with an earphone this expensive (given all the other issues I've read about in certain batches). Sorry, I'm frustrated.  

May 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2,294 of 22,946
I tried the triple flange for the first time a few days ago.

Add painful to that list :wink:  Comply P100 though could be inserted as deep as normal, seal and stick out so the body would fit.  Again only for those who can't fit the body into their ear cavity.

May 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2,295 of 22,946
  I don't see how this can happen if it's screwed in all the way and secured, unless the threads are providing wiggle room.  Something I've noticed is with the one I had was that the bore sizing didn't seem symmetrical, one side was a bit larger than the other.  

Well if you'll notice, there's a little ring of rubberized material that sits at the top of that metal sheath, The thing the screw screws into. Mine is in perfect condition on my left monitor but seems to be worn on the right monitor. It's black. You'll be able to see it. So my right monitor looks almost as if that rubberized material was never applied quite right.

I don't know if that's the answer but something sure isn't right. It shouldn't be creaking the way it is. I'll try a different filter and see if that makes any difference. I haven't done that yet. But still, it really does seem as if the metal tube that sits within the monitor is loose. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back