Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #2,251 of 22,946
  I was going to order a balanced cable for my Shure SE846 and AK240, but I have a question. What's the difference between ordering a cable with an AK240 plug vs. using an adapter from a standard stereo female mini-jack to AK240 4-pin, so that I can use the cable with and without balanced devices? Do I lose the benefits of balanced if I went with #2?

The wiring from the earpieces to the plug must be balanced all the way - 2 isolated wires for each channel - to acieve a balanced hookup. If you get your new cable terninated in a 4 pin 2.5mm TRRS first for the Blanced jack of the 240...Then get an adapter made (Double Helix or similar) that accepts the 2.5mm TRRS (4 contacts) and converts it to 3.5mm TRS (3 contacts) you will be able to use your setup with non-balanced standard 3.5mm TRS devices, too.  

Does that answer your question?

May 7, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,252 of 22,946
Did I see you posting in the DITA Truth Edition thread? How do you compare them with the SE846? I know there were some comparisons between the two in that thread already, but I'd love to hear your opinion. Do you have a personal preference between the two?

Well, at the moment its the Shures and they are the superior earphone tho the Dita is really special, sounds more like a speaker to me and i love them. The 846's are more monitor-close like,not to say smaller soundstage etc, just more of what ur used to from a balanced iem.
Bass is quicker and more than the Truth's.
My Ditas are with a friend at the mo, so i cant comment more at the mo, poss selling them to him, but only coz i don't need both and he's a close friend

May 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,253 of 22,946
I was going to order a balanced cable for my Shure SE846 and AK240, but I have a question. What's the difference between ordering a cable with an AK240 plug vs. using an adapter from a standard stereo female mini-jack to AK240 4-pin, so that I can use the cable with and without balanced devices? Do I lose the benefits of balanced if I went with #2?

Further to Burtomr's excellent response, if you tried to use a single output cable with a balanced adapter into the 2.5mm balanced out you have a very good chance of heating the buffers and burning the output stage of the amp in the AK240.

I know Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge can handle your cable needs and Ted has an AK240 himself.

May 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,254 of 22,946
So now the question is moon audio or Ted? Anyone have the pros and cons of the cables? I don't want to lose any of the high/treble that I am currently getting with the white filter in the SE846's. Also, when cables get all twisted it drives me nuts. Which one is better for not getting all twisted and such?

Thanks,

Y2J

May 7, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2,255 of 22,946
So now the question is moon audio or Ted? Anyone have the pros and cons of the cables? I don't want to lose any of the high/treble that I am currently getting with the white filter in the SE846's. Also, when cables get all twisted it drives me nuts. Which one is better for not getting all twisted and such?

Thanks,

Y2J

I cannot speak about Drew at Moon Audio but he has a great reputation.

I can tell you I own 4 different cables and three interconnects from Headphone Lounge and all are wonderfully built with no microphonics. If you want even greater clarity and treble response get either the OCC silver or the new Reference Cable which is OCC silver litz.

Edit: For more information here is Headphone Lounge's thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread/0_20

May 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,256 of 22,946

Thanks,

Y2J

I have the Moon Audio Silver Dragon terminated in a Oyaide right-angle mini plug with my 846 (using white filters) and I love this cable. I couldn't wait to replace the Shure cable. The stock cable is just a pain to use and is incredibly ugly.

Feel:

Really high-quality build to this. Stiff but not annoying or a knotty mess like the stock Shure cables. Very minimal memory effect. R and L wires are separated, so the entire cable is two wires and has a bit of a "flat" feel. It wraps really nicely. Memory wire over the ears is a lot shorter than the Shure cable and is much less stiff so it's easier to put on and take off your ears as opposed to the stock cable. Minimal cable microphonics as well.

Sound:

The Silver Dragon really opens up the sound and makes it seem more musical. Soundstage and instrument definition are increased, lows are much more present. It's maybe a touch warmer, but a noticeably more precise, detailed and musical sound. I honestly was surprised at how much of a difference the cable made in the sound quality. I thought it'd be a slight difference or maybe only a placebo effect, but I really noticed an immediate difference.

Really, really happy with this cable, although I only have the stock Shure cable to compare it with. I went from enjoying the SE846 to really drinking in the experience.

May 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #2,257 of 22,946
Just got the 846 in.  Packing is nice.  I replaced the filters with the white but the nozzle doesnt seem to sit flush on the body so I am wondering if I did something wrong.  I have Star tips at home but right now using the gray foam that was included with them.  

Cable... is just no.  Ill be getting the Silver Dragon as soon as I can.  I dont want to comment much about sound other than the bass is a little bit messy right now.  I expect it to settle in nicely though.  I will reserve all other comments on sound until I can get home and try the star tips. 

May 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,260 of 22,946
I'm not a classical music fan but I was listening to some Mahler and Bach DSD files last night and my jaw was on the floor. The SE846 is an outstanding IEM. Best headphone purchase I've made and easily worth the initial investment.

hey man u say uve had some lcd cans but the 846 trumps them in sound, i would never by cans because they are a bit goofy for me

May 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #2,261 of 22,946
Glad other folks are enjoying their new SE846s. They are really special.

When I am at home, I prefer my 2 channel stereo set-up. Headphone imaging is not in the same league. However, my listening room is situated in an area of my house that I cannot turn up my stereo late at night. To that end, I listen to both my LCD 2.2s (tube amped) and 846s (RSA balanced amp) about equally. I would probably listen to my Audeze LCDs more but the weight of the headphone is something that I can only take in shorter listening sessions. The 846s are also very good AND I can listen to them for extended periods without any type of fatigue.

Happy Listening.

May 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,262 of 22,946
headphonic doesn't rate them for the 1200 price tag and have swayed me from buying them twice, i found a second hand pair for 800 Australian on ebay cant wait to walk into head phonic with them and go shopping for some "thanks for the advice man but you were wrong buddy " lol still its a great shop and im greatfull to have it

May 8, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,263 of 22,946
Jaben Audio have only done right by me hence any further purchases will be made through them, even if I am no longer residing in Melbourne in the future.

The very fact that they allow customers to audition headphones prior to purchase is worthy of a sale right from the off as it is, however allowing me to swap the IE800s for the Shures is going well above & beyond the call of duty. :)  Hat = tipped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back