Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2,296 of 22,945
  Well if you'll notice, there's a little ring of rubberized material that sits at the top of that metal sheath, The thing the screw screws into. Mine is in perfect condition on my left monitor but seems to be worn on the right monitor. It's black. You'll be able to see it. So my right monitor looks almost as if that rubberized material was never applied quite right.

I don't know if that's the answer but something sure isn't right. It shouldn't be creaking the way it is. I'll try a different filter and see if that makes any difference. I haven't done that yet. But still, it really does seem as if the metal tube that sits within the monitor is loose. 

Yes, you're right.  The gasket, it should keep it from moving and keep a seal(which I think the purpose of it is).  If the gasket is not on right or the fit is not quite like the other, I would contact Shure and get a replacement if you can't fit it correctly.  It's probably one of those things that slipped through QC cracks for this $1k iems.  
eek.gif

May 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2,297 of 22,945
  Yes, you're right.  The gasket, it should keep it from moving and keep a seal(which I think the purpose of it is).  If the gasket is not on right or the fit is not quite like the other, I would contact Shure and get a replacement if you can't fit it correctly.  It's probably one of those things that slipped through QC cracks for this $1k iems.  
eek.gif

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. Unless it's the actual tubing within the monitor that hasn't been properly glued or whatever they use to secure it. The threaded tubing I mean. What the screw screws into. 

In any case I guess I should contact Shure. They'll most definitely have me send mine in for a look-see. What can I do? I guess crap happens. 

Thanks for taking the time to listen to me gripe :) 

May 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,298 of 22,945
I had the same issue. My only advice is to make sure you lined up the red mark on the stainless steel tube with the reD mark on the IEM before you tighten it. Make sure you do not move the nozzle while tightning and it should be a really tight seal. If you can fit your finger nail between the nut and the IEM it is NOT tight.

May 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,299 of 22,945
I had the same issue. My only advice is to make sure you lined up the red mark on the stainless steel tube with the reD mark on the IEM before you tighten it. Make sure you do not move the nozzle while tightning and it should be a really tight seal. If you can fit your finger nail between the nut and the IEM it is NOT tight.

I appreciate the advice. I tried what you said, just for the heck of it. No dice. It's not the fact that the filter isn't in properly. It isn't the fact that it isn't tight enough. I think it's that the rubberized gasket isn't present. That gasket makes the plastic tighten flush. Without that it seems loose, ever so slightly. And i think that's what's causing the creaking noise. On my left monitor, if I move the stainless steel tube from left to right I hear nothing, It's tight. It's flush. There is no movement. When I do the same with the right monitor it sounds as if plastic is being pressed upon. Like there's room. This room is causing the noise. And I am figuring that this room is caused by the fact that the rubberized material is not present. It's missing or it's worn. I've only had these IEMs for a month. Whatever this material is should not wear away in a month. After all, I've only changed the filters probably 3 times. 

But again, thank you for chiming in. I really do appreciate it. I think I'll let Shure take care of it. They probably just need to reapply that rubberized gasket. Or they can send me a new pair. Whatever. 

May 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,300 of 22,945
  Well if you'll notice, there's a little ring of rubberized material that sits at the top of that metal sheath, The thing the screw screws into. Mine is in perfect condition on my left monitor but seems to be worn on the right monitor. It's black. You'll be able to see it. So my right monitor looks almost as if that rubberized material was never applied quite right.

I don't know if that's the answer but something sure isn't right. It shouldn't be creaking the way it is. I'll try a different filter and see if that makes any difference. I haven't done that yet. But still, it really does seem as if the metal tube that sits within the monitor is loose. 

I read your post and just checked mine and noticed the same issue on my right monitor. I can push the nozzle in and out and it creaks and I can see it moving inside the housing. Not sure that it is affecting the sound or not, but for $1000 IEM's they should be doing this. I am going to call Shure in the morning. I am local to them, they are located in Niles, IL. I have heard from a few people that you can actually walk in and swap them out under warranty without having to ship them in. I will call them in the morning and see if this is the case. I had a real hard time getting the sleeves off when they were new in box, and recently tried the westone star tips, but I don't think I like them, they seem to reduce the treble too much...

Y2J

May 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #2,301 of 22,945
Let me know if you guys are able to swap it for a new pair, not repaired or refurbished.

I "fixed" mine yesterday by swapping to the blue filters, but when trying out the white filters now it's creaking again. This is really weird because the filters are the same length.

Also the sleeves are indeed really difficult to take off, I'm not sure if that's the cause behind it or not, but having that much force constantly pulling and pushing on the housing can't be good.

Bad design maybe? If they made the sleeves a little wider that wouldn't be an issue.

May 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,303 of 22,945
Let me know if you guys are able to swap it for a new pair, not repaired or refurbished.

I "fixed" mine yesterday by swapping to the blue filters, but when trying out the white filters now it's creaking again. This is really weird because the filters are the same length.

Also the sleeves are indeed really difficult to take off, I'm not sure if that's the cause behind it or not, but having that much force constantly pulling and pushing on the housing can't be good.

Bad design maybe? If they made the sleeves a little wider that wouldn't be an issue.

I sent Shure an email last night with a detailed description of what's going on. I am awaiting their response.

I will say that unlike you, nothing about my sleeves/filters are difficult to take off. I've never had any issues unscrewing them, changing them out, screwing them back in, etc. So it's not like I've put extra force into it which would cause things to loosen. Having said that, if the process of screwing and unscrewing these filters on and off will cause glue to loosen or whatever the case is, then they should either get rid of that option or fix it. Because this means there is a possibility for all 846 owners to wear away this rubberized gasket in time. And that's not good.

I'll give you all an update when Shure gets back to me.  

May 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #2,305 of 22,945
Can you do comparison of TG!334 vs SE846, maybe can ask borrow from your friend and do back to back listen, I'm thinking of selling for  TG!334, I hear it's quite musical, but haven't been able to find a pair to listen myself.

The 846 are superior iem in any way, very balanced.
I don't understand what people go on about treble, it is exactly as it should be for that kind a money,refined.
There was a serious roll of on the 535's, but not here

May 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,306 of 22,945
I sent Shure an email last night with a detailed description of what's going on. I am awaiting their response.

I will say that unlike you, nothing about my sleeves/filters are difficult to take off. I've never had any issues unscrewing them, changing them out, screwing them back in, etc. So it's not like I've put extra force into it which would cause things to loosen. Having said that, if the process of screwing and unscrewing these filters on and off will cause glue to loosen or whatever the case is, then they should either get rid of that option or fix it. Because this means there is a possibility for all 846 owners to wear away this rubberized gasket in time. And that's not good.

I'll give you all an update when Shure gets back to me.  

Thanks, and by sleeves I mean the tips, since that's what shure calls them officially I think. The tips for me are just really difficult to swap out. It has a death grip on the nozzle that requires prying with my nails to get it off. Shure recommends that we twist the tips to get them off, but I'm confident that it's impossible without damaging the iems.

May 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #2,307 of 22,945
So I called Shure a couple of hours ago. I spoke with about 3 different people. It took a while to be connected to the right person. I explained my situation. The guy just wants me to send them in and said that they'll just replace the unit. He said that they will try to figure out what the problem is, what caused it, etc. But he said at this point, with the SE846, "we're just sending out replacements". I don't know what that means exactly. As in, if they've had a lot of complaints, returns, defects, etc. Who knows. He told me the turn around time should be about 5 days. So we'll see. I'm hoping for the best. He told me to go ahead and send in the whole package and all of its contents. I'm hoping that means new box, new contents, sealed. 

Just thought I'd give you all an update. Let me know if you have any questions. 

May 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,308 of 22,945
  So I called Shure a couple of hours ago. I spoke with about 3 different people. It took a while to be connected to the right person. I explained my situation. The guy just wants me to send them in and said that they'll just replace the unit. He said that they will try to figure out what the problem is, what caused it, etc. But he said at this point, with the SE846, "we're just sending out replacements". I don't know what that means exactly. As in, if they've had a lot of complaints, returns, defects, etc. Who knows. He told me the turn around time should be about 5 days. So we'll see. I'm hoping for the best. He told me to go ahead and send in the whole package and all of its contents. I'm hoping that means new box, new contents, sealed.

Just thought I'd give you all an update. Let me know if you have any questions.

Your burn-in time start from 0
wink.gif

May 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,309 of 22,945
ok just got them :) nice peice but to be real you would be just as happy with the sm64 both quality but sm64 are" underpriced" and se846 are slightly "overpriced" i love the tech in the sures its special and different and that to me is worth my mon#^ piano aswell great piano/snth outstanding infact  but it kinda leaves anything else behind its that good (first impressions im talkin like 10 minutes if that :)
ps first thing i did was take some scizzors to the memory wire since i got 2 cables in all , glad i did

May 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,310 of 22,945
  Picked them up from the post office this morning. Initial impressions, I have to say I feel a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected the jump in SQ to be bigger. Things I noticed right away are it's wide soundstage and good instrument separation. Other than that, I cant say that it sounds substantially better than my Merlins.

Listened to the IE800 yesterday and those got me excited right away. It was probably because of the treble which seems much more extended than both the Merlins and SE846. I'll give the SE846's some more time though. I've only listened to them for an hour with blue filters.

Fit is very good since they are very light. But they are actually bigger than I thought and don't sit quite as flush as I expected.

i have a feeling the sures will grow on you where as ie800 will shink on you !that is the power of ba over dyamic supremacy lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back