Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,342 of 22,954
Or using a nice silver cable can effectively reduce the quantity of sub bass

I found switching to a OCC silver cable that the bass impact and texture increased along with the overall clarity and imaging.

I also agree with Audiowood and my friend Truck that the game changing aspect of the 846 is the amazing bass and if that is not what you are looking for try another IEM.

May 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,343 of 22,954
I also agree with Audiowood and my friend Truck that the game changing aspect of the 846 is the amazing bass and if that is not what you are looking for try another IEM.

Nope.  That's exactly what I'm looking for.  Just ordered mine yesterday.  Got a little bit off the stock answer price of 999.99 and they threw in free fedex overnight shipping.  So, sometime Thursday before noon, I will know what they sound like for myself.

May 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,345 of 22,954
BTW - how much burn in time do the 846s need before they settle in?

As for the bass, I don't think it gets better than atrio MG7s, which is what I listen to most of the time.  I own W40s, my only BA IEMs and was completely unimpressed with the bass, so I am really anxious to get my 846s and see what a dedicated subwoofer BA sounds like, and how it compares the MG7's DD.  I'm not expecting the same performance, mind you, but the side-by-side will be interesting.  I like all bass...as long as it's good.  And, if there is a large quantity of it too boot, so much the better.

I have a feeling I will not be disappointed in the 846s. 

May 11, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #2,346 of 22,954

I own W40s, my only BA IEMs and was completely unimpressed with the bass, so I am really anxious to get my 846s and see what a dedicated subwoofer BA sounds like, and how it compares the MG7's DD.  I'm not expecting the same performance, mind you, but the side-by-side will be interesting.  I like all bass...as long as it's good.  And, if there is a large quantity of it too boot, so much the better.

BA's don't burn in.  Never have.

Curious what you don't like about W40 bass?    As awesome as I thought W4 bass was, W40 took it up even another notch.  Most detailed hard hitting bass I have ever heard.  I'm sure SE846 is unreal but W40 bass is best in my sound sig.

May 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,347 of 22,954
Second silly question incoming...  Not a bad thing since Google (frankly a twit of a friend at times!) could not answer the question...

Left = clear, right = red, yes?

If so, I have had my headphones tampered with; the headphones switched from one cable to the other.  If this the case I have every reason to bemoan a Monday mornign and henceforth only myself and the qualified staff at Jaben will be allowed to touch them.

May 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,348 of 22,954
  Second silly question incoming...  Not a bad thing since Google (frankly a twit of a friend at times!) could not answer the question...

Left = clear, right = red, yes?

If so, I have had my headphones tampered with; the headphones switched from one cable to the other.  If this the case I have every reason to bemoan a Monday mornign and henceforth only myself and the qualified staff at Jaben will be allowed to touch them.

Just switch the cables? There's a red dot on the connector, make sure it's on the red earpiece. 

May 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,349 of 22,954
^ Trying that.  With 3/60 (normal is 6/6) vision this is nigh on impossible.  Also prying apart the cable from the earpiece is proving rather difficult.  I can touch type at 110 words per minute (so long as it's not a MacBook keyboard...) however I am hopelessly inept when it comes to this type of thing.  I guess the upshot is that it testifies the rugged build quality of the 846.

Edit:  All sorted, as you were. :)  Finicky as all get out getting the cables on and off I must say.

May 11, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #2,350 of 22,954
At this point, I'm not willing to invest $100+ in a cable for an IEM which I might end up selling. Even if I did, I doubt it could provide the kind of improvement I'm looking for. I think right now, when it comes to low end reproduction using BA's, the SE846 is as good as it gets. But even though BA's might be technically superior, they don't engage me nearly as much as dynamic drivers. When listening to HipHop, RnB or EDM, I find myself grabbing for the Merlin most of the time.

IMO, hybrids are the way to go, so currently 1p2 and Ref.1 are on top of my list. 

May 11, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2,351 of 22,954

As for the bass, I don't think it gets better than atrio MG7s, which is what I listen to most of the time.  I own W40s, my only BA IEMs and was completely unimpressed with the bass, so I am really anxious to get my 846s and see what a dedicated subwoofer BA sounds like, and how it compares the MG7's DD.  I'm not expecting the same performance, mind you, but the side-by-side will be interesting.  I like all bass...as long as it's good.  And, if there is a large quantity of it too boot, so much the better.

Back in the day, I was a car audio basshead who didn't really  care much for the hard kick and high SPL levels. I just wanted full-bodied bass and deep sub-bass  And today, I think I got a  similar thing with the 846. The mid bass bump is not there with the 846 unless you EQ it back in (and I did).

My IE8 kicks harder (on its highest setting) and my UE Superfi 5 EB kicks even harder still. Neither of those can achieve the depth and quality of the 846. You get the good bass without suffering thru the hard kicking and that allows you to focus on the mids and highs.

I wouldn't have known that the 846 could go deeper than my dynamic IEMs if I hadn't installed Viper4Android (V4A) on my Note 3. I had V4A on my Galaxy S2, but the Note 3 can go deeper and the mids are taller (bigger). If you use a phone as a source for the 846, I recommend the ones with the Snapdragon 800 or 801 SoC and V4A along with Poweramp.

May 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #2,352 of 22,954
BA's don't burn in.  Never have.

Curious what you don't like about W40 bass?    As awesome as I thought W4 bass was, W40 took it up even another notch.  Most detailed hard hitting bass I have ever heard.  I'm sure SE846 is unreal but W40 bass is best in my sound sig.

Use the black filter if you want it really hard hitting, only problem is that then the bass can overwhelm in some genres especially rock, I was listening to def. leopard, rock, rock, and had to go back to blue filters. As the bass was too harsh.

On burn in I know people say they don't bunt if ou do the sound quality improved after a couple days.

May 12, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #2,353 of 22,954
eq on poweramp is a great feature if not a dirty one , not sure on how i feel about using it. The se 846 responds extremely well honestly i don't think i should be thinking about eqing any iem let alone a 1000 dollar one but for some reason i am , coming from sm64 i never used too . u can take that as a low blow too 
"she can have nice features but still be ugly " "i aint saying she a gold digger"

maybe a different source ? 
maybe new cable?
maybe custom sleeves?
maybe balanced cable?
maybe a earphone you dont have too loose kidney over to get what they should get right in the first place ?

.schtinkmeaner 

May 12, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,354 of 22,954

From my experience, they sound much cleaner after about a day.

Bass wise, I havn't heard the MG7, but from my other experience with dual dynamics, the impact/punch should be similar, but the texture is behind. So for a bass centric song, it won't sound as good, but for general pop etc, it definitely sounds good.

I also have my w4r with me, the 846 definitely sounds better, especially bass impact, where you can only hear the impact on the w4r occasionally.

Take a look at the comparison between 846 and w60 on earphonesolutions, I decided not to wait for the w60 because the 846 sounds more fun. But apparently w60 has better mids and very similar bass with a laid back signature.

May 12, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #2,355 of 22,954
I would like to share my experience. If I may.

From a few posts up, I mentioned that I found the Shure SE846 to have the tone and signature that I like. But I find the bass dry and would some times appear boxy. As it does not have enough body and texture. And the highs abit lacking in sparkle.

I just received my third party cables over the weekend and burned them in without listening to them. Till today that is, and I must say. The cables really did fix both those problems. I got an 8 core pure stranded copper cable and it gave the bass more body and improved the treble and I just can't get the 846 out of my ears.

Just a note that I am using the SE846 with Sensaphonics sleeves incase some of you might be curious what tips I am using to get the sound I am describing. Be it before or after. As to my knowledge and experience with switching tips and even the Sensa sleeves that it does change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back