Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #496 of 22,954
I think I'm going to play the crap out of my 535's and see if I can break them and send them in haha.. They are made really well and I have at least a year and half left on the warranty so they will probably last way beyond that point lol.. Wow can't believe they replaced them with the new ones.. Wow good for you :). I guess they do have a really good support system in place..

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #497 of 22,954
Good luck trying to break that.  My SE110 and E2G lasted me 4 years each.  The phones themselves were still good, but the cables started to fray.  Experience tells me their phones are pretty durable. :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #498 of 22,954
I wasn't trying to "break" my SE846. In fact, I have treated it delicately since day one. Nevertheless, the right side earpiece stopped working today. As others have testified, my experience (as well) with Shure's customer service has always been excellent (for nearly a decade). This is the first non-cable related issue I've ever had with theirs (or any) earphone. It's hard to imagine what the issue could be.....

Whether "burn-in" is real, (or a matter of grey-matter), I swear this past week is the best the 846 has sounded since I got it in early September (or was it late August?). Anyway, the right earpiece just stopped like a light bulb  After listening to podcasts on my iPod, I plugged in the Note 3 to listen to some music (and after a few songs) the sound was only coming out of the left side.....

I feel invested in this "burned-in" unit so I'm going to give it another day (of futile voodoo dances or something) and then back to Shure it goes. I've connected it to four different Shure cables (and various players) and I've changed the filters (why? I don't know). I would surround it with garlic and burn a toothpick cross if I thought that would help. 

Oh well, it's back to the 535/ T'Mo Galaxy S2 (with Android 4.4) for now. It has sounded pretty good lately. It's as if the new rom has freed up resources for Poweramp. And while the 535 is no 846, it's a good backup. My turnaround experiences with Shure has been one week. What I'm dreading is getting back an earphone (or one earpiece) that needs 1000 hours to sound like the one I loss today.

I'm going to tell myself over and over again that "burn in" is nonsense. Mind over matter, right?

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #500 of 22,954
I know I'm nitpicking, but my right earpiece squeaks slightly when I press down on the nozzle (swapping tips, during the seal, etc.). SQ is unaffected though. The left earpiece, on the other hand, feels rock solid. Anyone with a similar experience or observation? I'm very OCD about these things, haha.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #501 of 22,954

I'm going to tell myself over and over again that "burn in" is nonsense. Mind over matter, right?

Even though burn in is clearly nonsense, my HD800s started to emit angels` breath at almost exactly 150 hours of use.  I swear.  
My 846s are at 25 hours, and already sound so amazing I can`t imagine WHAT is going to come out of them once that imaginary burn in process kicks in. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #502 of 22,954
Shure did a test between a multi year old pair of IEM's and a new pair and found no difference. I don't have the article where they did this study but they said they don't believe in designing a product that requires burn in to sound good.

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #504 of 22,954
I wasn't trying to "break" my SE846. In fact, I have treated it delicately since day one. Nevertheless, the right side earpiece stopped working today. As others have testified, my experience (as well) with Shure's customer service has always been excellent (for nearly a decade). This is the first non-cable related issue I've ever had with theirs (or any) earphone. It's hard to imagine what the issue could be.....

Whether "burn-in" is real, (or a matter of grey-matter), I swear this past week is the best the 846 has sounded since I got it in early September (or was it late August?). Anyway, the right earpiece just stopped like a light bulb  After listening to podcasts on my iPod, I plugged in the Note 3 to listen to some music (and after a few songs) the sound was only coming out of the left side.....

I feel invested in this "burned-in" unit so I'm going to give it another day (of futile voodoo dances or something) and then back to Shure it goes. I've connected it to four different Shure cables (and various players) and I've changed the filters (why? I don't know). I would surround it with garlic and burn a toothpick cross if I thought that would help. 

Oh well, it's back to the 535/ T'Mo Galaxy S2 (with Android 4.4) for now. It has sounded pretty good lately. It's as if the new rom has freed up resources for Poweramp. And while the 535 is no 846, it's a good backup. My turnaround experiences with Shure has been one week. What I'm dreading is getting back an earphone (or one earpiece) that needs 1000 hours to sound like the one I loss today.

Same thing happened to mine, but it was after only 2-3 weeks' usage.. Right side died suddenly.. Well...

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #505 of 22,954
Same thing happened to mine, but it was after only 2-3 weeks' usage.. Right side died suddenly.. Well...

Have you gotten your replacement unit? And if so, how long have you had it?

I'm wondering if they found a flaw in the design and are working on (or made) a new version. I'm sure Shure wouldn't say one way or another. I don't want to get a replacement (you know, and do that nonsensical "burn-in" stuff) just to have it die in a few weeks or months.

And indeed, I do understand that there's a defect ratio in most manufactured products. However, unlike the occasional one exploding cellphone battery (out of millions), this is a rather rare product (which suggests that it could be an epidemic).

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #506 of 22,954
I bought another set and sold my first set of faulty SE846, if I'm not wrong, the buyer got it back in about a month or two.. It was the period where SE846 was in limited quantities.. My current pair works just fine and I'm guessing that it might be the problem with the first batch that was produced, when did you get your set?

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #507 of 22,954
I bought another set and sold my first set of faulty SE846, if I'm not wrong, the buyer got it back in about a month or two.. It was the period where SE846 was in limited quantities.. My current pair works just fine and I'm guessing that it might be the problem with the first batch that was produced, when did you get your set?

You sold a defective SE846? Did you take a loss on it?

I refuse to consider buying an HTC phone because 3 years ago my HTC HD2 died on me (but that's just me). I have a long history with Shure so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

To answer your question, I got mine in either late August or early September. I think that would be considered the first batch (among the first shipped to retailers).

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #508 of 22,954
YEAP, passed the buyer the invoice and box while he waited for a new set, the wait shouldn't be that long now, and they do offer great after sales service here in Singapore =)
Most likely a first batch problem from what I observe then..

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #509 of 22,954
Hi all

Sorry if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but how can I remove the sleeves off these things?
I've got my pair today (imported to UK from America) and I want to try the different nozzle and change the sleeves BUT not matter what I do, I can't remove the damn sleeves. I'm worried I'm going to snap the nozzle :/

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #510 of 22,954
Hi all

Sorry if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but how can I remove the sleeves off these things?
I've got my pair today (imported to UK from America) and I want to try the different nozzle and change the sleeves BUT not matter what I do, I can't remove the damn sleeves. I'm worried I'm going to snap the nozzle :/

Thanks.

You need to remove the the stock cable and place the IEMs in a plastic bag then place the bag in the freezer for approximately 5-10 minutes. When the stock form ear tips are hard take them out of the freezer and you should be able to easily twist them off. Do not worry too much about the nozzle as it is stainless steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back