Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #466 of 22,954
GoSUV, the cable doesn't have to be a hindrance at all. If you've ever curved the brim of a baseball cap, you know that you have to (first) bend it farther than your desired position and hold it for a while in order to get it to stay curved. The same is true for the memory portion of the 846 cable (not only in how it curves around your ear but how close [or far] you want the cable to sit from your head). So again, that is bending it curved and side-to-side.

On the tips, it sounds like you should try the triple-flanges (they are my favorite tip). Here again, you are not bound to any rules of norm. If you don't like the way the first flange fits, cut it off and only use the last two flanges. If that is not an issue, but you think the whole thing extends too long, cut off the stem. You could actually use a cut triple-flange stem as a nozzle adapter to try tips from other earphones that have larger nozzles.

And, I agree with you. It does not have to be flush and tucked into the ear. You can wear it out. I do that myself when I'm in the truck and wearing my earphone comfortably for 8 to 10 hours straight every workday. I only (vainly) tuck it in when I'm going to be seen. I think wearing them out and the extra extension of the triple-flange tips help slightly increase the soundstage projection. Of course, I have narrow ear canals and can get a good seal with the first flange. In fact, I have to lube the first flange to get it in deep.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #468 of 22,954
To answer the earlier questions:

DT albums suffer from a too low bass guitar in my opinion. Does the improved bass response help to separate the bass guitar from the bass drums?
Absolutely, the low bass filter allows for multiple layers of bass from the bass guitar to the bass drums to be heard independently. Also, using the white filter with added treble helps the clarity and separation. I agree that the mix of DT albums is too dynamically compressed pushing the bass guitar into the bass drums. One of the best albums to hear that is Deadwing by Porcupine Tree. The CD is dynamically compressed while the DVD-A version is not. It is about four steps quieter on my iPod. Unfortunately, I have not heard a DT album that was not compressed.

The new, self-titled album has guitar and keyboard mixed to indiscernible for my taste. Do the 846 help to separate them better than the 535?
Yes, the extra driver in the 846 provides greater instrument separation and clarity. On the Enigma Machine the guitar and keyboards are clearly heard separately with no smearing but spot on where they should be.

Were there any standout moments that you discovered with the 846? Little details that you were never able to hear with the 535 but that suddenly became obvious with the 846?
The first time I listened to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence with the Octavarium Orchestra on the live Score album the incredible soundstage with the greater clarity made me feel I was sitting about 10th row at Radio City. Also, the depth of the soundstage is great, you can hear Dream Theater clearly in front of the orchestra and when the violins kick in about 13:30 it is a great moment also at 30:24 when the piano, drums and guitars are playing you want to hold your lighter up high.

Anything else that comes to your mind regarding the 846 and progressive rock/metal?
Yes, as I wrote in an earlier post, the changeable filters are perfect if you enjoy all eras of progressive rock. What I mean is with the earlier progressive like Genesis (Gabriel/Hackett), Yes and King Crimson the blue (balanced) filter sounds best as the tonality is perfect. With modern progressive like DT, Opeth and Porcupine Tree, the white (bright) filter sounds best as they tend more towards progressive metal and little treble boast is perfect.

To answer the question of whether that are worth the upgrade from the 535 to me there is no question yes but it is $1,000 you and your wallet have to answer that question.
Haha you are so rite.. My wallet hates me lately lol now I just want these sooooo bad.. I think it's either these or a nice pair of customs I will have within the next year.. Lol

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #472 of 22,954
Just ordered one. How are people even using balanced cables with this thing? I don't understand. The connector only has two pins.

The SE846 like all Shure IEMs does not use a two pin connector. It uses an MMCX connector. A balanced cable uses the same four wire connection that a single ended uses except instead of a 3.5mm plug it has a four pin connector wired for a balanced amplifier. The balanced cable utilizes the four wires in a LRLR configuration instead of a L/ground R/ground configuration in a standard 3.5mm plug.

The four pin connector is used if you have either an iBasso or Ray Samuels portable balanced amp. My avatar picture is the SE846 with balanced silver cables.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #473 of 22,954
The SE846 like all Shure IEMs does not use a two pin connector. It uses an MMCX connector. A balanced cable uses the same four wire connection that a single ended uses except instead of a 3.5mm plug it has a four pin connector wired for a balanced amplifier. The balanced cable utilizes the four wires in a LRLR configuration instead of a L/ground R/ground configuration in a standard 3.5mm plug.

The four pin connector is used if you have either an iBasso or Ray Samuels portable balanced amp. My avatar picture is the SE846 with balanced silver cables.

I see - so basically with this setup you are separating the ground signal into two signals? I always thought balanced audio needed differential signaling and something to interpret the signal on the headphone side but now that I read Wikipedia it's optional. I got confused because the MMCX connector only has two conductors (that's what I meant), a signal and a ground. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #474 of 22,954
  Just ordered one. How are people even using balanced cables with this thing? I don't understand. The connector only has two pins.

Your stock cable (like all stock cables) has 2 wires from each earpiece (+ & -) with the grounds joined at the 3 conductor (TRS) plug. Balanced does not join the grounds because the (TRRS or RSA/Kobiconn) plug has 4 conductors so the Left and Right channels are separated (+ & -) all the way from earpiece to plug.

To operate in 'balanced mode' you need a new cable with a 4 conductor plug, or possibly just a replacement 4 conductor plug installed on your stock cable. Of, course you must have a balanced amp or DAC, too.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #475 of 22,954

Your stock cable (like all stock cables) has 2 wires from each earpiece (+ & -) with the grounds joined at the 3 conductor (TRS) plug. Balanced does not join the grounds because the (TRRS or RSA/Kobiconn) plug has 4 conductors so the Left and Right channels are separated (+ & -) all the way from earpiece to plug.

To operate in 'balanced mode' you need a new cable with a 4 conductor plug, or possibly just a replacement 4 conductor plug installed on your stock cable. Of, course you must have a balanced amp or DAC, too.

I don't have a balanced amp so I guess there's no point in doing this :) I'll probably be happy with the stock cable for now. Thank you. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #476 of 22,954
I understand that the SE846 are in a different category pricewise. However, after returning the UE900..... that I found too dark and flat compared to my beloved Triple fi s out of my Ipod Touch 5th.....

I would like to know how does the SE846 compares with the Triplefis with the balanced and the treble boost filters.... Thanks

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #477 of 22,954
which is best cable for SE846 ?  toxic-cables.co.uk ?   
darthsmile.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #478 of 22,954
which is best cable for SE846 ?  toxic-cables.co.uk ?   :darthsmile:

I would say unequivocally, the OCC silver cable from Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge. It really pairs beautifully with my SE846 (I would say it lifts a veil off the 846 you never noticed was there). Ted's price, quality and BUILD TIME cannot be matched (Ted's turn around time is usually less than 2 weeks or closer to 1 week). At $200 it is a great price or I have also used his OCC silver coated copper for about $100 and they are also good with the SE846

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #479 of 22,954
I use Forza AudioWorks hybrid cable for my 846's.  Can't say enough about them, great quality, great turnaround time, and a great price.  IIRC, I paid less than $200 for my cable.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #480 of 22,954
Three reviews for those interested in the SE846.

Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2013/12/08/shure-se846-review/

Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/reviews/shure-se846-earphones-hands-on-review-16248453

PC Magazine:
http://mobile.pcmag.com/?origref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F?origref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#!/article/52a0c13acb0071deb70e13f2-shure-se846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back