Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #451 of 22,945
Hello all, 

I'm new here, and was wondering if anyone has both the SE846 and the UltimateEars 18 pro custom earphones? They are pretty much the same price; and I'm trying to decide which one to go with. I like balanced and neutral sound better than colored, though a bit more umph in the bass is fine, and all good.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #452 of 22,945
I got my SE846 2 weeks ago and came from the SE530, used them for more than 5 years. I can't seem to find a good fit/seal with the SE846's though, as the mid-size black foams fit me just fine on the SE530's, but I can't do the same with the SE846's medium black foams. I can't seem to twist and push them in far enough, as the angle of the cable is always getting in the way (the SE530's cable makes an almost 90-degree angle with the housing, but the SE846's make a V, a much tighter angle), and the so called "memory wire" is always working against me, as a slight brush of the wire will cause the seal to loosen, and sometime even falling out.

I would appreciate if you can share some experience on how to wear the SE846's, and how do they fit differently than the other SE models... I have never owned the SE535, just the SE530, and had a pair of SE310 before as well.

Thanks.

Actually I had troubles getting a good fit with the SE535s. I had to put the earphone really deep to get a good seal. The 846 however, sit in my ear perfectly. It takes me less than 5 seconds. Here's how I do it:

1) Grab the earphone by its housing
2) Insert silicon tip, and aim for the top of my ear canal
3) Move it back and forth just a little bit to get a secure seal

If the memory wire gets in your way, put on the memory wire 1st, then rotate the IEM into your ear

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #453 of 22,945
Hello all, 

I'm new here, and was wondering if anyone has both the SE846 and the UltimateEars 18 pro custom earphones? They are pretty much the same price; and I'm trying to decide which one to go with. I like balanced and neutral sound better than colored, though a bit more umph in the bass is fine, and all good.

I tried the UE18 universal version briefly, and IMHO it doesn't compare. SE846 adds a layer of depth to everything, whereas UE18 is nice, but it's just the same sound that you're used to. There wasn't anything special, and it sounded like JH16. But if you like neutral sound, not sure if 846 is something you want.

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #454 of 22,945
Actually I had troubles getting a good fit with the SE535s. I had to put the earphone really deep to get a good seal. The 846 however, sit in my ear perfectly. It takes me less than 5 seconds. Here's how I do it:

1) Grab the earphone by its housing
2) Insert silicon tip, and aim for the top of my ear canal
3) Move it back and forth just a little bit to get a secure seal

If the memory wire gets in your way, put on the memory wire 1st, then rotate the IEM into your ear

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will try the large grey silicon tip to see if this provide a better seal. I understand what you mean by twisting/rotating the housing to insert deeper, as I use the same technique with my SE530's to get them to go in deeper (like using a screwdriver to turn a screw), but with the SE846's wire angle with the housing, wouldn't that limit the degree of your rotation because the wire connector is against the side your head?

Also as a side note, do the grey silicon tips change the sound timbre? I remember when I use my old SE530, the silicon tips make the highs more sibilant, and the lows much lighter weight, and do you find that it's the case with the SE846's as well?

Thanks again.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #455 of 22,945
Thanks a lot for your advice. I will try the large grey silicon tip to see if this provide a better seal. I understand what you mean by twisting/rotating the housing to insert deeper, as I use the same technique with my SE530's to get them to go in deeper (like using a screwdriver to turn a screw), but with the SE846's wire angle with the housing, wouldn't that limit the degree of your rotation because the wire connector is against the side your head?

Also as a side note, do the grey silicon tips change the sound timbre? I remember when I use my old SE530, the silicon tips make the highs more sibilant, and the lows much lighter weight, and do you find that it's the case with the SE846's as well?

Thanks again.

Yeah the rotation is like 1mm, very very minor adjustments. The key is to aim it up, not straight in

I've always used the silicons so I can't tell you the difference. I don't like using foams.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #456 of 22,945
Going from the 530 to the 846 is easier than going from the 530 to the 535. Believe it or not, the angle of the earphone in relation to the nozzle (and tip) is the same from 530, 535, to 846.

Don't start by looping the cable around your ear and then inserting the tip. Instead, first, flare out the cable by rotating it outward (away from your ear) at the connector swivel. Then grab the housing of the earpiece itself and find your fit. You will then swivel the cable back toward your ear and bend it in the shape you want the memory wire to “remember”. It may take a bit to get the cable just right. Swiveling should prevent any unwanted pressure. Don't be afraid to bend the cable sharply to get the looping action you want. The IEM is expensive but Shure cable replacement service fee is (typically) $16.

Use the same tips you liked (and got a good seal) with the 530.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #457 of 22,945
Going from the 530 to the 846 is easier than going from the 530 to the 535. Believe it or not, the angle of the earphone in relation to the nozzle (and tip) is the same from 530, 535, to 846.

Don't start by looping the cable around your ear and then inserting the tip. Instead, first, flare out the cable by rotating it outward (away from your ear) at the connector swivel. Then grab the housing of the earpiece itself and find your fit. You will then swivel the cable back toward your ear and bend it in the shape you want the memory wire to “remember”. It may take a bit to get the cable just right. Swiveling should prevent any unwanted pressure. Don't be afraid to bend the cable sharply to get the looping action you want. The IEM is expensive but Shure cable replacement service fee is (typically) $16.

Use the same tips you liked (and got a good seal) with the 530.

I do the reverse. Loop in first, then rotate earpiece into the ear. Otherwise, I'd have to bend my ear in weird ways through the loop

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #458 of 22,945
I do the reverse. Loop in first, then rotate earpiece into the ear. Otherwise, I'd have to bend my ear in weird ways through the loop

Why would you have to bend your ear (in weird ways) through the loop after you set the earpiece in your ear? Never mind, whatever works, right?

For me, setting the earpiece is non-negotiable. Everything else can bend and flex to suit the position of the earpiece. At the start, I set the earpiece (hold a finger on that position) then get the cable right (even if I have to bend the cable left or right as well as up and down). I want the earpiece such that it will be where it is (even if the cable was not attached). Then the looping of the cable is cosmetic. Moving the back of the body of the housing flush with the ear is what keeps the very top (of the cable side) of the cable connector from pressing against the top of the ear. That part is a little different than the 530 which is a few millimeters shorter and the cable can immediately loop downward (as well as left or right) at that point. The 846 cable loops a little higher but (in my case) it doesn't get in the way or push against my head (working against a stable sitting of the earpiece).

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #459 of 22,945
As a fan of progressive rock both old (Genesis etc.) and new (Porcupine Tree, Opeth and Dream Theater) I can say that the SE846 bass response for a drummer who likes Dream Theater is superb. With both Mike Portnoy and now Mike Mangini the speed and impact of the bass from the 846 is great and has no difficulty keeping up with the world's fastest drummer (Mangini). The midrange is incredibly lush, the treble is polite with a wider soundstage and greater imaging and clarity than either the 425 or 535 (both of which I still like). If you like the 425 you would love the 846.

The only reason I hesitate is that the treble of the 846 while polite it is not as revealing as you may like and does roll off after about 12-13 kHz. That being said, the individual splashes from "Stream of Consciousness" through "Illumination Theory" are clear and distinct. I have not spent much time listening to the bright(white) filters but when I have they do materially improve the treble response. If you have any follow up questions (as spending $1,000 blind is a bit daunting) do not hesitate to PM me.

Since we appear to have the same music taste, I'd like to ask about some details regarding the 846's performance.

I currently own a pair of 535 and I'm considering upgrading to a 846 in the next months. Being a huge prog fan, I'm very familiar with the sound of Dream Theater's discography coming from the 535. If you could describe a bit more how the sound changes with the switch to the 846, I'd get a very clear picture of what to expect from the 846.
DT albums suffer from a too quiet bass guitar in my opinion. Does the improved bass response help to separate the bass guitar from the bass drums?
The new, self-titled album has guitar and keyboard mixed to indiscernible for my taste. Do the 846 help to separate them better than the 535?
Were there any standout moments that you discovered with the 846? Little details that you were never able to hear with the 535 but that suddenly became obvious with the 846?
Anything else that comes to your mind regarding the 846 and progressive rock/metal?

EDIT: To be a bit clearer, I'm interested in separation for the most part. I'm content with the way mids and highs sound on my 535 and I can live with the volume of the bass. The main reason for me to buy such expensive IEM would be separation. Modern mixing and mastering practices push towards a dynamics-compressed "wall of sound" that can cause my 535 to sound undefined. So the main question is: How much better is the separation of the 846?

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #460 of 22,945
Since we appear to have the same music taste, I'd like to ask about some details regarding the 846's performance.

I currently own a pair of 535 and I'm considering upgrading to a 846 in the next months. Being a huge prog fan, I'm very familiar with the sound of Dream Theater's discography coming from the 535. If you could describe a bit more how the sound changes with the switch to the 846, I'd get a very clear picture of what to expect from the 846.
DT albums suffer from a too quiet bass guitar in my opinion. Does the improved bass response help to separate the bass guitar from the bass drums?
The new, self-titled album has guitar and keyboard mixed to indiscernible for my taste. Do the 846 help to separate them better than the 535?
Were there any standout moments that you discovered with the 846? Little details that you were never able to hear with the 535 but that suddenly became obvious with the 846?
Anything else that comes to your mind regarding the 846 and progressive rock/metal?

EDIT: To be a bit clearer, I'm interested in separation for the most part. I'm content with the way mids and highs sound on my 535 and I can live with the volume of the bass. The main reason for me to buy such expensive IEM would be separation. Modern mixing and mastering practices push towards a dynamics-compressed "wall of sound" that can cause my 535 to sound undefined. So the main question is: How much better is the separation of the 846?
×2 I love dt.. I love the drums and the guitar.. I think they are one of the most talented bands like ever to me.. Your rite with my 535's the bass guitar kinda blends in.. Still sounds amazing specially the drums.. Wow what a great drummer and a great guitar player.. I'm not sure about in the states but up here in Canada they are pretty underrated.. Very sad.. Another question.. Are these worth the upgrade from my 535's? Are they really worth twice as much?.. Thanks :)

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #462 of 22,945
Well, if anyone is interested in the SE846, in like new condition, feel free to PM me.

I couldn't resist the black friday deal on JH Roxannes 
redface.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #463 of 22,945
To answer the earlier questions:

DT albums suffer from a too low bass guitar in my opinion. Does the improved bass response help to separate the bass guitar from the bass drums?
Absolutely, the low bass filter allows for multiple layers of bass from the bass guitar to the bass drums to be heard independently. Also, using the white filter with added treble helps the clarity and separation. I agree that the mix of DT albums is too dynamically compressed pushing the bass guitar into the bass drums. One of the best albums to hear that is Deadwing by Porcupine Tree. The CD is dynamically compressed while the DVD-A version is not. It is about four steps quieter on my iPod. Unfortunately, I have not heard a DT album that was not compressed.

Yes, the extra driver in the 846 provides greater instrument separation and clarity. On the Enigma Machine the guitar and keyboards are clearly heard separately with no smearing but spot on where they should be.

The first time I listened to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence with the Octavarium Orchestra on the live Score album the incredible soundstage with the greater clarity made me feel I was sitting about 10th row at Radio City. Also, the depth of the soundstage is great, you can hear Dream Theater clearly in front of the orchestra and when the violins kick in about 13:30 it is a great moment also at 30:24 when the piano, drums and guitars are playing you want to hold your lighter up high.

Yes, as I wrote in an earlier post, the changeable filters are perfect if you enjoy all eras of progressive rock. What I mean is with the earlier progressive like Genesis (Gabriel/Hackett), Yes and King Crimson the blue (balanced) filter sounds best as the tonality is perfect. With modern progressive like DT, Opeth and Porcupine Tree, the white (bright) filter sounds best as they tend more towards progressive metal and little treble boast is perfect.

To answer the question of whether that are worth the upgrade from the 535 to me there is no question yes but it is $1,000 you and your wallet have to answer that question.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #464 of 22,945
Why would you have to bend your ear (in weird ways) through the loop after you set the earpiece in your ear? Never mind, whatever works, right?

For me, setting the earpiece is non-negotiable. Everything else can bend and flex to suit the position of the earpiece. At the start, I set the earpiece (hold a finger on that position) then get the cable right (even if I have to bend the cable left or right as well as up and down). I want the earpiece such that it will be where it is (even if the cable was not attached). Then the looping of the cable is cosmetic. Moving the back of the body of the housing flush with the ear is what keeps the very top (of the cable side) of the cable connector from pressing against the top of the ear. That part is a little different than the 530 which is a few millimeters shorter and the cable can immediately loop downward (as well as left or right) at that point. The 846 cable loops a little higher but (in my case) it doesn't get in the way or push against my head (working against a stable sitting of the earpiece).

Do you adjust your memory wire every time you put it on?

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #465 of 22,945
With the above suggestions, I tried the large size grey silicon tip and it wasn't for me. As previously experienced with the SE530, they were just too sibilant in the highs. I did get a good seal with those, but the compromises with the highs were too much for me. So I changed back to the black medium foams.

Now I tried the different orders with which to put on the cable loop and earphone. Previously I had always hanged the earphones by the cable on my ears, then fit the earphones. But I tried the order truckdriver suggested, which is to swing away the cable first, fit the earphone, hold its position and worry about the wire later.

I have now found by wearing them in this order, that I wasn't pushing in the tips deep enough previously. I have seemed to get a better seal now, but the memory wires are still getting in the way and continue to frustrate me in no end. Also, previously I was trying to get the housing flush with my ears, but actually I could push the tips in deeper if I moved the housing a bit more away from my ears. This is evident after I pull out the tips and looked where my ear canal was exerting pressure on the foam tip.

I will continue to experiment with different techniques to wear these and find a good seal. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back