Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #421 of 22,954
Nope :frowning2: My set comes in white packaging without the clear acrylic case. Well, I guess what is more importance is performance of the earphone :wink:

I agree the performance of the IEM is the most important factor. However, I would contact Shure's customer service as you should have received the same packaging as shown on Shure's website: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones. I damaged my blue filters and Shure sent me a replacement set free of charge within a week.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #422 of 22,954
Nope My set comes in white packaging without the clear acrylic case. Well, I guess what is more important is performance of the earphone

Yes, I agree that the performance is most important. However, if you want the packaging and you bought it from an authorized dealer, I'd contact Shure.

Not a great picture, but you get the point.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #423 of 22,954
WOW.

A friend lent me his SE846s for a few hours last night.

The differences are subtle above the bass, mainly better clarity and it's easier to hear the tails of the reverb than on my SE315s.

But listened to some of my favorite trance with really deep sub-bass, and the reproduction of same was simply astonishing.

Don't get me wrong, the SE315s are by no means thin in that frequency range, but the built-in mechanical LPF for the SE846s, which smoothes out the mid-bass and obviously provides a softer roll-off than an electronic crossover might, gives these a very distinctive sound signature I've never heard, or imagined I'd ever be able to hear, in an IEM.

Plus the quad BAs do seem to make the rest of the frequency spectrum sound effortless and distortion-free.

I can see why those who might be able to afford these would consider the price well-spent.

Still delighted with my SE315s, though. :) They share a good family resemblance in the main parts of the sound, where it counts most.

Just thought I'd pass those impressions on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #424 of 22,954
I agree the performance of the IEM is the most important factor. However, I would contact Shure's customer service as you should have received the same packaging as shown on Shure's website: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones. I damaged my blue filters and Shure sent me a replacement set free of charge within a week.

Hey, we posted (or said) the same thing at about the same time. You owe me a drink.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #426 of 22,954

Yes, I agree that the performance is most important. However, if you want the packaging and you bought it from an authorized dealer, I'd contact Shure.

Thank you so much for your advise :) I didn't purchase my set directly from US and that probably explain the different. Mine is exactly the same shown in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_RMBN2gaIU. If I know the packaging is going to be different, I would have buy it from US cos I like that clear acrylic box :xf_eek:

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #427 of 22,954
Just got my SE846 along with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable - balanced. Just one word

Wow!

Paired this with my setup: AK120->RSA SR71-B-> Shure SE846 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon IEM cable with balanced connector. Just put on the Thriller album in 24 bit/176.4 kHz flac. I can hear a lot of details that my UE 900 or W4R earphones could not pick up. The bass is pretty good, but does not over-power the mids and treble.

I haven't tried the other ToTL earphones.

1. Fit Ear TG 334 is not available, anywhere, so can't get my hands on this.
   2. K3003i: Heard this was more for iPhone/iPod, with a fixed cable. Personally, I try to stay away from any product that is geared toward Apple products, as most of my products are Android. So, was out of question.

Haven't listened to the stock cable. No point, I guess! 
wink_face.gif

I am in music heaven. Next up: The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" 
etysmile.gif

I am excited about how this going to sound after the burn-in period.

The ear phones are more comfortable to wear than the UE900. But the W4R is the most comfortable.

More impressions to follow,. This is going to be my earphone of choice for the foreseeable future.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #428 of 22,954

Thank you so much for your advise
smily_headphones1.gif
I didn't purchase my set directly from US and that probably explain the different. Mine is exactly the same shown in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_RMBN2gaIU. If I know the packaging is going to be different, I would have buy it from US cos I like that clear acrylic box
redface.gif

From the video it would appear you are right about the US packaging being different from other official packaging. That white box seems better than all of the IEMs packaging I purchased this year (other than the 846). The UE900, SM64, and W4 all came in plain small boxes. Even the $900 Ultrazone IQ came in rather forgettable packaging.
  Just got my SE846 along with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable - balanced. Just one word

Wow!

Paired this with my setup: AK120->RSA SR71-B-> Shure SE846 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon IEM cable with balanced connector. Just put on the Thriller album in 24 bit/176.4 kHz flac. I can hear a lot of details that my UE 900 or W4R earphones could not pick up. The bass is pretty good, but does not over-power the mids and treble.

2. K3003i: Heard this was more for iPhone/iPod, with a fixed cable. Personally, I try to stay away from any product that is geared toward Apple products, as most of my products are Android. So, was out of question.

wink_face.gif

etysmile.gif

The ear phones are more comfortable to wear than the UE900. But the W4R is the most comfortable.

More impressions to follow,. This is going to be my earphone of choice for the foreseeable future.

Congratulations! You can loan me that AK120 with the hi-rez Thriller tracks on it any time.
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #429 of 22,954

Wow!

wink_face.gif

etysmile.gif

I'm curious to hear your comparison with the stock cable.  I've been debating whether it's worth upgrading the cable.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #430 of 22,954
Yes. I will do a comparison between the stock and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon IEMs cable later today.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #431 of 22,954
For me I upgraded to pure OCC silver cables (both balanced and SE) for my SE846 from Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge and I noticed a material sonic improvement. From top to bottom the sound improved. The bass became tighter and the treble was clearer. Also, my aftermarket cables are far far more comfortable to use everyday. If you are interested in upgrading, you can checkout the Headphone lounge appreciation thread here at Head-Fi or PM me.

Edit: Here is a link to Headphone Lounge. http://headphonelounge.com/in-ear-monitor-cables/

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #432 of 22,954
Personally, I noticed big improvements in SQ with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables. The stock cable seemed to have weaker bass and the background vocals and music were slightly muted, when compared in back to back listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller song, with the Silver Dragon & stock cables.

I had an adapter system setup for my IEM cables: with replaceable cables for single ended & balanced outputs.

http://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-iem-extension-adapter-cable.html

I have found Drew Baird from Moon Audio to be patient, responsive and detailed in in his responses to a newbie.

I am never going back to the stock cable.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #433 of 22,954

Congratulations! You can loan me that AK120 with the hi-rez Thriller tracks on it any time.
wink_face.gif

Sure. If you are in Austin, give me a holler 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #434 of 22,954
Just bought Ted Allen's Headphone Lounge cables to pair up with my SE 846's. Well, I've never tried custom cables, but these pure silver ones from Headphone Lounge have really cleaned up the sound from the 846's. It sounds like a veil has been lifted from the audio. I went back to the stock se 846 cables to do a quick a/b test and sure enough they sounded noticeably muffled in comparison. The pure silver cables have cleaned up clarity across the frequency spectrum. They ran me 200, but I think they were well worth the investment since I will be getting more enjoyment out of each and every track I listen to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back