Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #436 of 22,945
I'm not the greatest chart reader in the world, but I identify with Tyll's charts about the FR curve of the three 846 filters than what I am seeing on Headroom. Perhaps these charts are more similar than I think. Whatever the case, I clearly hear more midrange (particularly vocal region) warmth with the black filter (which would be obvious by design), but it doesn't look that way on Headroom's chart. I also think the black filter has better treble than the other two filters. Mind you, I do hear the peak in the white filter but it does not (IMO) contribute to a good sounding cymbal. The white and blue filter do have more sub-bass presence than the black filter.

Both the white and blue filters are a little frustrating in the vocal region (too laid back). That may be source related, but the 535 is warmer and more prominent (in the vocal region) with the same source (though the 535 seems smaller by volume level). Tyll's chart suggest the 535 is warmer than the 846, where as Headroom's chart blurs the distinction  I actually think Headroom's chart comparing the three filters of the 846 is even off in the bass region.

OTOH, if Headroom's chart on the W4R is correct then that is an awesome super-earphone that I want immediately. The W4 I had resembles Tyll's chart for the W4R. I guess if the IE800 can have such a huge jump in sub-bass (with a new version with the same name) then perhaps the W4R did something similar across the entire spectrum. I'm not going to rush out to find out. It's probably like Tyll's chart suggests and not Headroom's..

But anyway, back to the 846. I wish Shure would increase the variety of filters for even more sound choices. How about a 535-like filter with the warmer mids and a little more sub-bass than the black filter (and just a little more treble too)? Right now, the black filter is my preferred of the three.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #437 of 22,945
Pardon me for the double post here, but I just realized that my previous post sounds a little "unappreciative" in this appreciation thread. It's just relative out-loud thinking. The 846 is the best IEM I've heard and I wouldn't sell it for $1000.. It's just that I want the mids of the black filter and the bass of the other filters.

Or perhaps what I need is a better source. It could be that the Note 3 has too high of an output impedance (although I do prefer the Note 3 with Poweramp to my Audioquest Dragonfly out of ny laptop).

The 846 does make me want to upgrade my source to see (or hear) what is possible. I'm not expecting miracles though. What I do wish is that I could have all my music with the soundstage effects of the Smyth Realiser demo tracks. That 7.0 track sounds sick with bass appearing to come from speakers at various angles. Of all my headphones,  the 846 is the only one that puts out sound appearing to come from in front of me with those demos. It's kinda freaky. It makes my forehead tingle a bit.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #438 of 22,945
Like my esteemed colleague Truck, I am not basing my opinion solely upon a graph and I also agree with Copperears' post earlier that we all perceive sound differently. The SE846 is not an IEM that is easy to review because wirh the three filter choices time must be spent listening to all three before any truly valid opinion can be made.

With those qualifications in mind, after three months with the SE846 I have found the white (bright) filter to be the best for me. While I do agree the black (warm) filter is the best for pure vocals and the bass and midrange of the black more resembles the SE535, the white filter gives me greater clarity with an improved bass with a slightly recessed midrange compared to the SE535. The graph and my ears say the white's treble response is very similar to my old SE535 with a boosted bass which I always felt was lacking of the SE535.

The blue (balanced) filter is the middle of the road and it is the compromise between the the white and black filters. Some of the clarity is sacrificed with the blue from the white and the vocals are not as sweet as the black but it is the best for all types music and for those who do not want to change filters.

I also have found that what is the best filter is dependent upon the recording. I am a fan of all progressive rock from the 70's through to today. With the older recordings of Genesis (Gabriel and Hackett era), Rush or King Crimson the black filter is best, while with Dream Theater or Porcupine Tree of modern progressive rock the white is my filter of choice.

I also agree with Truck that I hope either Shure or a third party company come up with a greater choice in filters. My dream filter would be the white with a slightly boosted midrange. However, even with three filters, one of the great strengths of the SE846 is its chameleon like ability to be what the listener wants it to be. I do not find the five minutes or less it takes me to change both filters too much of a chore and it gives me three distinct IEMs. While Truck and I like the extreme between the blue filter (white vs black) that is the advantage of the SE846, if you disagree with me, use one of the other filters no one is committed to one sound. With a balanced amplifier and silver cables the SE846 is an end game for me for a portable rig and like Truck I would not sell them for the $1,000 I paid for them.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #439 of 22,945
Was there any frequency response testing done with wider bore tips for the SE846? I know that similar testing was done with the Westone 4 and it had much better extension. I believe it went all the way to 20kHz with phonak tips.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #440 of 22,945
  Was there any frequency response testing done with wider bore tips for the SE846? I know that similar testing was done with the Westone 4 and it had much better extension. I believe it went all the way to 20kHz with phonak tips.

+1

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #441 of 22,945
The frequency response test I did with my ears indicates a much wider and fuller response using wider bore tips like the Sensorcom dual flange tip, although my preference is currently the dual flange from EarSonics... which is now also a wide bore tip and made out of what feels like a little heavier gauge material than the Sensorcom. I personally never find the narrower bore tips to be the best option for sound quality. The wider bore seems to extend the low and high end. Narrow bore always sounds more distant and constrained.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #446 of 22,945
Even with the white filters WOW. Thank you

Actually thank YOU. I was about to get the Parterres but after reading your posts I held off the purchase until I got a chance to demo the 846 myself (with all filters) and I'm glad I did. The 846 is in a league of its own.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #447 of 22,945
Just got my brand new SE846 from Amazon. I'm a long time Shure fan, going through the SE530, 535 and now the 846. Through all this time, I loved the phones. They've always had that prototypical mid range, while often failing to deliver bass or treble.

Putting on the SE846 shows you how far Shure has come. The mids from the 535, with balanced and lush bass. This in the next generation of Shure products. Over the next few days, I'm going to try the filters and see where the sound ends up.

Excellent in ear choice, and my current favorite.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #448 of 22,945
Actually thank YOU. I was about to get the Parterres but after reading your posts I held off the purchase until I got a chance to demo the 846 myself (with all filters) and I'm glad I did. The 846 is in a league of its own.

I appreciate your kind sentiments. I may sometimes seem strident in my advocacy for the SE846 but that is because I feel so passionately about it. Is it perfect no, but some get so lost in the graphs or omissions of the SE846 that they lose sight of the overall beauty of the sound.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #449 of 22,945
Depends on your fit

I use the large silicons and I cant hear any outside noises, even on the subway

They do fit differently than the other SE models though

I got my SE846 2 weeks ago and came from the SE530, used them for more than 5 years. I can't seem to find a good fit/seal with the SE846's though, as the mid-size black foams fit me just fine on the SE530's, but I can't do the same with the SE846's medium black foams. I can't seem to twist and push them in far enough, as the angle of the cable is always getting in the way (the SE530's cable makes an almost 90-degree angle with the housing, but the SE846's make a V, a much tighter angle), and the so called "memory wire" is always working against me, as a slight brush of the wire will cause the seal to loosen, and sometime even falling out.

I would appreciate if you can share some experience on how to wear the SE846's, and how do they fit differently than the other SE models... I have never owned the SE535, just the SE530, and had a pair of SE310 before as well.

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #450 of 22,945
I got my SE846 2 weeks ago and came from the SE530, used them for more than 5 years. I can't seem to find a good fit/seal with the SE846's though, as the mid-size black foams fit me just fine on the SE530's, but I can't do the same with the SE846's medium black foams. I can't seem to twist and push them in far enough, as the angle of the cable is always getting in the way (the SE530's cable makes an almost 90-degree angle with the housing, but the SE846's make a V, a much tighter angle), and the so called "memory wire" is always working against me, as a slight brush of the wire will cause the seal to loosen, and sometime even falling out.

I would appreciate if you can share some experience on how to wear the SE846's, and how do they fit differently than the other SE models... I have never owned the SE535, just the SE530, and had a pair of SE310 before as well.

Thanks.

I had the same problem and my solution was the Westone Star Tips. It is a longer than the Shure tips and it has a wider nozzle opening which sounds better. Both Westone and Shure use a 2.5mm nozzle so they fit perfectly. Westone sells the complete assortment of both silicone (Star Tips) as well as foam tips (True Fit) for $14.95 so you can find the one that fits best.
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/true-fit-and-star-silicone-fit-kit.html

Edit: I should tell you proper fit is the key to making any IEM sound great. I spent about 2 months and $150 on all different tips from Comply and others before finding the Star Tips. A great test of the seal is found here: http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back