Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #13,966 of 22,945
  Certainly can't see any "cracks" in the photos. When enlarged they are too soft to see anything. Somehow I don't think these are actual cracks but then again the photos don't show well. I've seen numerous instances where people think the 846's have something wrong but it's just the reality of having a clear iem body with a lot of stuff mounted inside and different seams , glue and sealing points. 

Yep, looks like just excess glue from assembling the  'SE846' nameplate.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #13,968 of 22,945
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #13,969 of 22,945
8/10 in terms of what, Naive?

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #13,970 of 22,945
8/10 in terms of what, Naive?

I guess overall, I'd like to know where 846 runs in the game. Interested in the opinions of many that have owned different IEMs through the years and have had experience to differentiate good vs decent

For example se846 is my first iem and I consider it good but not great

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #13,971 of 22,945
I guess overall, I'd like to know where 846 runs in the game. Interested in the opinions of many that have owned different IEMs through the years and have had experience to differentiate good vs decent

For example se846 is my first iem and I consider it good but not great

"Ratings" are useless, you should know that by now.  What's a "10" to you or someone else may be a "7" to the next, and so forth.

Only you can decide what the appropriate "rating" is.  

Personally, and no offense, I think you're getting too caught up on what others state are "TOTL" instead of what YOUR TOTL iem is.   As one member said, go take a drive and listen to some of these instead of getting caught up on ratings.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #13,972 of 22,945
  "Ratings" are useless, you should know that by now.  What's a "10" to you or someone else may be a "7" to the next, and so forth.

Only you can decide what the appropriate "rating" is.  

Personally, and no offense, I think you're getting too caught up on what others state are "TOTL" instead of what YOUR TOTL iem is.   As one member said, go take a drive and listen to some of these instead of getting caught up on ratings.

^The truth right here

TOTL is not determined by price. I personally don't think the IEMs with BA receivers (no matter how many) will ever surpass dynamics in terms of enjoyment. They are obviously more accurate in a technical sense, but can't tough dynamic's musicality in my humble onion.

I would say, keep on exploring man. Don't get too swayed by ratings (though they do help show build quality and other characteristics which are not subjective unlike sound). :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #13,973 of 22,945
^The truth right here

TOTL is not determined by price. I personally don't think the IEMs with BA receivers (no matter how many) will ever surpass dynamics in terms of enjoyment. They are obviously more accurate in a technical sense, but can't tough dynamic's musicality in my humble onion.

I would say, keep on exploring man. Don't get too swayed by ratings (though they do help show build quality and other characteristics which are not subjective unlike sound). :)

What do you recommend as a fun and musical iem/headphones that are dynamic?

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #13,974 of 22,945
What do you recommend as a fun and musical iem/headphones that are dynamic?

Hifiman Edition-X. I even prefer it over the HE-1000 as it is a musical headphone. In my opinion,  the HD 800 S + Hifiman Edition X is the strongest pairing in headphone land. But I don't think it's worth the price they are asking for. If the Hifiman Edition-X will go for $1000, then maybe I'll consider it.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #13,975 of 22,945

just got it this morning. listened to it for about 10 minutes. general impressions are WONDERFUL. i am going to start formulating a review in the next week that gets into more detail regarding any comparisons. but the overall sound from the u12 is incredible. it put a smile on my face right away. the only other iem to do this was the 846. i will never get rid of the 846 due to the fact that it is such a unique implementation of bass and isolates very well. i need to sit down and listen/analyze when I have more time tonight, tomorrow. 

hi equgguy any update on a more detailed comparisons 

thanks so much

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #13,976 of 22,945
I've been auditioning the 8's paired with an iPhone 6S, 6S + Oppo HA-2, Note 4, and Note 4 + HA-2, as well as HA-2 w/ PC.  Audio files range from iTunes music, Google Music, Tidal, and Onkyo HF Player with DSD256 sample files from Oppo.

My initial impressions are as follows:

The iPhone 6S alone is pretty darn decent. Sound is excellent.

The iPhone 6S + Oppo HA-2 provides a small improvement.  Slightly wider soundstage, a bit more space, and better dynamics.  It's hard to say that the pair is really worth the extra bulk.  Sometimes I just want to use the iPhone without the HA-2 because it sounds "good enough". Ha.  I'm not sure that's a thing with these IEM's. The benefit obviously comes from the DSD/FLAC decoding ability. But to be honest, I'm not sure my ears are really good enough to hear a big difference between 320kbps MP3/AAC and DSD. Let alone DSD64 and DSD256.

Note 4 alone... mmmm, Meh.  I use V4A and some rooted tricks to improve sound quality, but it's not quite as good as the vanilla iphone (I also use Equalizer everywhere for iPhone)

Note 4 + HA-2 provides a more noticeable improvement.  Definitely worth the investment when these two are paired.  No problems with USB Audio for the applications and the android build that I am running.

Oppo HA-2 with PC is obviously a huge improvement over built-in sound on a Gigabyte Z97-ITX.  I compared against my Focusrite scarlett and the Oppo wins, barely.

I haven't changed my filters out yet (not sure if I will).  I'm using the 2 dot olives and isolation is great... I've had them in for a couple hours and my ears notice a bit of fatigue.

Still trying to decide if high-gain vs low gain makes a difference.

Also, wondering if the HA-2 is really giving the 8's what they need.  Output impedence of the HA-2 is just not quite enough for the 9ohm 846's.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #13,977 of 22,945
  I've been auditioning the 8's paired with an iPhone 6S, 6S + Oppo HA-2, Note 4, and Note 4 + HA-2, as well as HA-2 w/ PC.  Audio files range from iTunes music, Google Music, Tidal, and Onkyo HF Player with DSD256 sample files from Oppo.

My initial impressions are as follows:

The iPhone 6S alone is pretty darn decent. Sound is excellent.

The iPhone 6S + Oppo HA-2 provides a small improvement.  Slightly wider soundstage, a bit more space, and better dynamics.  It's hard to say that the pair is really worth the extra bulk.  Sometimes I just want to use the iPhone without the HA-2 because it sounds "good enough". Ha.  I'm not sure that's a thing with these IEM's. The benefit obviously comes from the DSD/FLAC decoding ability. But to be honest, I'm not sure my ears are really good enough to hear a big difference between 320kbps MP3/AAC and DSD. Let alone DSD64 and DSD256.

Note 4 alone... mmmm, Meh.  I use V4A and some rooted tricks to improve sound quality, but it's not quite as good as the vanilla iphone (I also use Equalizer everywhere for iPhone)

Note 4 + HA-2 provides a more noticeable improvement.  Definitely worth the investment when these two are paired.  No problems with USB Audio for the applications and the android build that I am running.

Oppo HA-2 with PC is obviously a huge improvement over built-in sound on a Gigabyte Z97-ITX.  I compared against my Focusrite scarlett and the Oppo wins, barely.

I haven't changed my filters out yet (not sure if I will).  I'm using the 2 dot olives and isolation is great... I've had them in for a couple hours and my ears notice a bit of fatigue.

Still trying to decide if high-gain vs low gain makes a difference.

Also, wondering if the HA-2 is really giving the 8's what they need.  Output impedence of the HA-2 is just not quite enough for the 9ohm 846's.

Sell the 535,sell HA-2,buy the se846,a used ZX2 and a custom cable with TRRS plug,Lavricables has fantastic quality cable for shure and the cheapest i found online and that will probably be the best audio purchase you done this year.In short,not only is the se846 a much better iem technically,it also scales with better sources tremendously,the 535 does not.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #13,979 of 22,945
  I should clarify that i don't own the 535's anymore. Just the 846's

Then this will be even easier.Sell oppo and buy a used  ZX2 from here from a seller with good feedback,the cable with the trrs plug and you will have a very  potent,musical and extremely detailed portable system.Also,i don't throw sony just because i have it,i've been watching the Onkyo DP-X1,Qp1r threads and to me they feel unfinished products,with bad ui and loose headfone jack(Onkyo) or unresponsive scroll wheel (Qp1r,sorry moedawg
frown.gif
,too much money to play with that and keep track of newer/older batch).The ZX2 works without hitch and sq is stunning with Trrs.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #13,980 of 22,945
Very very interesting... I should also note that I could still return my HA-2!!! lol just bought it.

I did listen to the ZX2 a little bit back when I had the 535's and it did bring those things to life a bit more, however it didn't blow my mind for $1000 (less here... worth considering)... not to mention I have a note 4, and with the note 4 + the HA-2, the sound is pretty darn close. Plus the HA-2 brings DSD playback...  But i'd have to do another side by side to see how the ZX2 helps the 846's out.  It's definitely a nice product.  I also considered the pha-2 but couldn't give it a test run.

I just figure if I have an android + good dac/amp, esp a flexible dac like the oppo, I might be better off overall... But this is subject to change and I really appreciate the suggestion.  Now I may have to go back and plug my 846's in...

Really curious as to how the TRRS sounds with these 846's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back