Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #13,847 of 22,960
I have a question about modding the blue filter.
When putting the stock blue filter under light, I can see that half of the tube (at the side of the open end) is filled with some black (or dark charcoal color) foam.  Remove it with a needle & find out it's actually 2 piece of black foam, each about quarter of the tube length.  My question is, should I remove all 2 pieces of black foam, or just the outer one ?

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #13,848 of 22,960

I tried three different DX80 with my Shure Se846 and they all had hiss. The amp in the DX80 is off then not playing music so to check this out , in a quiet room, play a song and set volume to 0 (low or high gain doesn't matter). You will hear a faint hiss. For many not a deal breaker as it is very faint but i prefer the pitch black noise floor of the Dx90 with the Se846.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #13,852 of 22,960
Just picked up an oppo HA-1.  I can't believe the difference with the 846's!  I bought the oppo to go with my LCD-3's coming tomorrow and wasn't expecting the huge difference in sound with the 846's.  My listening to date with the 846's has been limited to my AK240. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #13,853 of 22,960
Just picked up an oppo HA-1.  I can't believe the difference with the 846's!  I bought the oppo to go with my LCD-3's coming tomorrow and wasn't expecting the huge difference in sound with the 846's.  My listening to date with the 846's has been limited to my AK240. 
AK240 under powered.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #13,854 of 22,960
AK240 under powered.

I'll have to look into getting a portable amp. I had an RSA protector and really could tell the difference so I dumped it.  Not like the oppo HA-1 difference.  What portable amp has a lot of juice/punch?  The Protector went high in volume but the 846's with the HA-1 sound like my 2-chanel system in that I can crank it and it never flinches, just gets louder. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #13,855 of 22,960
I'll have to look into getting a portable amp. I had an RSA protector and really could tell the difference so I dumped it.  Not like the oppo HA-1 difference.  What portable amp has a lot of juice/punch?  The Protector went high in volume but the 846's with the HA-1 sound like my 2-chanel system in that I can crank it and it never flinches, just gets louder. 
Arrow

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #13,856 of 22,960
Reluctantly selling my SE846's

These have been by far the best iem's I've ever owned. I'm only getting rid of them because I don't listen as much on a portable basis and decided to go with full size bluetooth cans for around the house. Just can't justify keeping these for occasional use. New prices in Canada for these are through the roof because of the Canadian dollar. Mostly selling for about $1250.  - The low dollar is definitely having an effect on large purchases for some items in Canada. Anyway, I've really enjoyed this thread. Some great posts and almost always very civilized..

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #13,857 of 22,960

These have been by far the best iem's I've ever owned. I'm only getting rid of them because I don't listen as much on a portable basis and decided to go with full size bluetooth cans for around the house. Just can't justify keeping these for occasional use. New prices in Canada for these are through the roof because of the Canadian dollar. Mostly selling for about $1250.  - The low dollar is definitely having an effect on large purchases for some items in Canada. Anyway, I've really enjoyed this thread. Some great posts and almost always very civilized..

Man, this is a sad day for you, I can hear it in your post! Ever since buying my SE846, I have raved, both publicaly and privately, how amazing these 'phones are. Having owned many different high-end portable products, these are the best of the best. One of the few items that actually, while pricey, feel worth the cost.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #13,858 of 22,960
Man, this is a sad day for you, I can hear it in your post! Ever since buying my SE846, I have raved, both publicaly and privately, how amazing these 'phones are. Having owned many different high-end portable products, these are the best of the best. One of the few items that actually, while pricey, feel worth the cost.

Yes, Not especially happy about it. I definitely feel they are worth the price -

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #13,859 of 22,960

Sad to see you go with reference to selling the SE846. I remember reading your posts on this thread and talking to you when I first started Head-Fi. I hope you enjoy the headphones and hope to see you around. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back