Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #13,771 of 22,954
Quick question. Which third party cable manufacturers have MMCX connectors that hold a tight connection and don't cut out sound? This at least used to be a big issue when I got my SE846 so I kept away from custom cables. My Logitech MMCX cables cut off the sound all the time and the connection is quite wobbly.

Looking for a decently priced cable, not that concerned with possible sound changes. Just something more ergonomic. The stock cable is way too stiff compared to the standard Westone/Earsonics/Logitech stuff.

My Ted Allen (headphonelounge.com) cables have a really solid MMCX connection (tighter than stock cables), and can come with washer rings to help create an even tighter connection (I never needed to use them). No sound would cut out as a result of the super tight connection. Never needed to use DeOxit or anything like that for the connections to try and diagnose/fix cut-out errors either.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #13,773 of 22,954
  Quick question. Which third party cable manufacturers have MMCX connectors that hold a tight connection and don't cut out sound? This at least used to be a big issue when I got my SE846 so I kept away from custom cables. My Logitech MMCX cables cut off the sound all the time and the connection is quite wobbly.

Looking for a decently priced cable, not that concerned with possible sound changes. Just something more ergonomic. The stock cable is way too stiff compared to the standard Westone/Earsonics/Logitech stuff.

ADL  iHP-35M-1.3M cable fit the bill for me. Not real pretty but it is rock solid on the SE846. Around $100.

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #13,774 of 22,954
Good to know I'm not the only one with problems getting the MMCX connectors working properly with custom cables. :frowning2: 

I own a custom cable from PlusSound as well as ALO Copper 22 and ALO SXC 8 cables. All three worked fine for a few weeks and then the right ear connection keeps breaking with the slightest movement. Sigh.....

Does anyone have the new versions of the SE846 (blue/bronze/black) and have tried with third party cables? I wonder if they tweaked anything in the new version aside from new colors.

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #13,775 of 22,954
Ted's cable works great for me, no issues with fit and reliability for 6 months.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #13,777 of 22,954
I'm starting to feel the se846 aren't for me, I need something more *fun* and engaging, more *energetic * and impressive.

Where should I venture to try?

What music do you listen to?

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #13,778 of 22,954
I'm starting to feel the se846 aren't for me, I need something more *fun* and engaging, more *energetic * and impressive.

Where should I venture to try?
Isnt that normal? Especially if one reads every review one will think of something better. Our ears do become spoiled.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #13,780 of 22,954
Pop and electronic, sometimes a little rap

Deadmau5
Dominik eulberg
Tiesto

Michael Jackson
Culture club
Current top 40

Eminem

Just want an engaging and fun involving sound

Looking for the *wow * factor

The JH13 has a very fun, upfront, exciting sound. Full of detail and yet very coherent and balanced. But they're customs.

Compared to the SE846 they have less subbass, similar midbass, thinner mids but much better treble. Superior soundstage and imaging. Not really for bassheads but they're good all-rounders.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #13,781 of 22,954
Pop and electronic, sometimes a little rap

Deadmau5
Dominik eulberg
Tiesto

Michael Jackson
Culture club
Current top 40

Eminem

Just want an engaging and fun involving sound

Looking for the *wow * factor

Since you seem to be new to all this I would suggest you save some money and look into the Dunu 2000J. There is a very large thread about that iem on the forum. Just do a search. No point in breaking the bank on something you can't hear first.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #13,782 of 22,954
i have the 2000j and se846 and the profiles of both are quite different with 2000j being a analytical listen ad the se846 being the "wow" factor listen. i never could get the bass sleeves on the 2000j's right though- entirely too much driver flex for my listening purposes. is it that much of a difference with those sleeves?

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #13,783 of 22,954
I personally didn't quite find the Dunu 2000J to my liking and wouldn't call it a "wow" factor by any means, but an IEM that I would say has that "wow" factor without having to audition first would be the HyperDynamic hybrid IEM from Jaben.  First listen of those paired with the Questyle Audio QP1R gave me a smile ear to ear.  @NaiveSound - If you can though, try to listen before you buy because you will be the only one that will know exactly what will make you think the IEM you are listening to has that "wow" factor.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #13,784 of 22,954
I do wish I could brighten the Shures up a bit, however; more than the white filter allows, certainly. 

This is why i love 846 + hm901s with miniboxgold card. They just perfectly matched together. No need to change cable or filter. And it does boost the clarity and details. A slightly makes 846 being energetic and fast..which to me is not a bad thing at all.

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #13,785 of 22,954
Good to know I'm not the only one with problems getting the MMCX connectors working properly with custom cables. :frowning2: 

I own a custom cable from PlusSound as well as ALO Copper 22 and ALO SXC 8 cables. All three worked fine for a few weeks and then the right ear connection keeps breaking with the slightest movement. Sigh.....

Does anyone have the new versions of the SE846 (blue/bronze/black) and have tried with third party cables? I wonder if they tweaked anything in the new version aside from new colors.

I have had issues with alo cables in the past. Always pros in exchanging. But my cable now of choice is dhc. Better quality, better sound, way more expensive tho. 1.25 years everything always works every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back