Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #13,231 of 22,945

Do you meant that SE535's Mids (Vocals) are coloured to be more thin (and less lush) than SE846 ?

Well, sometimes the mids sounds hollow compared to my other headphones. Not sure what causes it. The Shure SE846 isn't perfect either though, but according to my ears the mids are more consistent / balanced. 

Also instruments with the Shure SE535 have a different tonality with respect to the Sennheiser HD800 for example. So that's how I know the Shure SE535 has coloured mids.  

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #13,232 of 22,945
The 535 struck me as mid-centric. Their coloured but very good sounding mids will pull you in on first listen. But the treble roll-off is too early in my opinion.

The 846 keeps the mids but is better balanced with the bass and treble. Not one particular aspect stands out if you use modded blue filter. It's very coherent, balanced and most of all enjoyable.

Yes, it sounds pretty good. Especially when the Shure SE535 is paired with the Chord Hugo, it sounds fantastic.

I can live with the treble roll-off of the Shure SE535 since I'm quite sensitive to a treble that is not done right. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #13,233 of 22,945
Aagen, you never use the bass boost?

There is no bass boost on the E12DIY. I do use it with my E12 though when listening via my SE 535's.

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #13,234 of 22,945

I went from the 535's to the 846 and the difference is night and day. Well worth the money.

I have both SE535 and SE846 and i find that statement a gross exaggeration. It's not 8pm to 8 am difference. More like a 4pm to 9pm leap.

SE846 is better on almost all fronts (subbass in particular) but SE535 is no slouch. Actually for relaxed listening sessions i tend to reach for the SE535.

I love love love my SE 535's. I bought a more expensive CIEM and sold it as it could not compete with my 535's. But the 846 is SO MUCH BETTER. I don'y grieve when I listen to the 535's, but I do rejoice when i put on the 846's. You pick the "time difference" you like, but you and I both know you'd pick the 846 over the 535 every time if you had to pick just one. Right?

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #13,235 of 22,945
  I love love love my SE 535's. I bought a more expensive CIEM and sold it as it could not compete with my 535's. But the 846 is SO MUCH BETTER. I don'y grieve when I listen to the 535's, but I do rejoice when i put on the 846's. You pick the "time difference" you like, but you and I both know you'd pick the 846 over the 535 every time if you had to pick just one. Right?

Shure if i had to keep one it would be the 846. But shure as well if i had to live just with the SE535 i would enjoy the music a lot. Owning any one of these it's a privilege for a music lover. Both it's more than i could ask for.

If we do agree that tonal balance is the most important aspect in headphone listening then i'd say that Shure has the edge over the iem competition.

Shure house sound tonal signature is impeccable imho.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #13,236 of 22,945
Owning any one of these it's a privilege for a music lover.

This quote encapsulates my feelings about the SE846, completely. Considering myself to be damn lucky. These 'phones have been an absolute joy to own since Day One, for me. Granted, I am still in the "IEM honeymoon phase", but I am pretty sure I am gonna be real comfortable living with these as time passes. Just yesterday, I listened to my first hip-hop recordings through the SE846, another revelatory session. Great head-/ear-filling sound and nice bass. So good.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #13,238 of 22,945
My linum cable stopped working on me. This one is probably my fault since I knew they were not reliable and I bought another one anyway. This is my third one (the first two were with the 2 pin) so I'm done buying those cables. They work great for someone like me who wears glasses and has no memory wire but they are just not for me or I have the worst luck with them. Luckily, I had the stock cable in the case as a backup so I can still use my SE846 while at work today. I had a cable commissioned recently so hopefully that gets sent soon. It looks like I may need to have another one commissioned as a backup down the line since I am not a fan of the stock cable.

@goodvibes I always thought the SE535 was just the SE530 except in a replaceable cable form. I never heard both at the same time however.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #13,239 of 22,945
I've had multiple Shure IEM models as well, and each step up the chain has been an improvement on the one prior.  MickeyVee put it best though when he said: 
Granted, the SE846 does everything better than the SE535 but the SE535 is no slouch.  

I upgraded from the 535's to the 846's after buying my DAP, in order to take full advantage of the more accurate playback and lower noise floor compared with the music app on my phone.  The 535's still sound very good, but the 846's are better.  The one big difference I found is that the 535's could be fatiguing after a while, but I've never had that problem with the 846's.

Previous Shure models I've owned were the SE210's and the SE430's.  The 210's were the best I'd owned to that point (eight years ago?  maybe more), and I liked the sweet mids but felt the bass was lacking.  I upgraded to the 430's after reading about them for a while, when they went on sale for a big discount, probably in advance of Shure releasing the new xx5 models.  I enjoyed those greatly but lost them after about two years.

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #13,240 of 22,945
  My linum cable stopped working on me. This one is probably my fault since I knew they were not reliable and I bought another one anyway. This is my third one (the first two were with the 2 pin) so I'm done buying those cables. They work great for someone like me who wears glasses and has no memory wire but they are just not for me or I have the worst luck with them. Luckily, I had the stock cable in the case as a backup so I can still use my SE846 while at work today. I had a cable commissioned recently so hopefully that gets sent soon. It looks like I may need to have another one commissioned as a backup down the line since I am not a fan of the stock cable.

@goodvibes I always thought the SE535 was just the SE530 except in a replaceable cable form. I never heard both at the same time however.

They are with a slight change in voicing. I think they changed the acoustic resistance a bit and the 535 is a bit warmer sounding due to it. 500 was the same as well.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #13,241 of 22,945
So, I'm little bit bored with chasing and trying newest giant killer under 400$ and I don't want to bring my Customs everywhere, so I think it might be good time to focus again on maybe getting SE846. I want to ask you guys two things:

1) What is reasonable price to find them on Second hand market? I was hoping something around 600USD? Also, any idea how are their prices on second hand market in EU?

2) I hate cables with ear guides, so what are good alternative choices to stock cable? I don't want Linum(have one and not big fan of their build) or any fancy expensive cable(Don't really carre about their effect and they are often so bulky). I think Westone offers one variations of MMCX cable without earguides, is it fine for SE846?

Thank you for your help :)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #13,242 of 22,945
  So, I'm little bit bored with chasing and trying newest giant killer under 400$ and I don't want to bring my Customs everywhere, so I think it might be good time to focus again on maybe getting SE846. I want to ask you guys two things:

1) What is reasonable price to find them on Second hand market? I was hoping something around 600USD? Also, any idea how are their prices on second hand market in EU?

2) I hate cables with ear guides, so what are good alternative choices to stock cable? I don't want Linum(have one and not big fan of their build) or any fancy expensive cable(Don't really carre about their effect and they are often so bulky). I think Westone offers one variations of MMCX cable without earguides, is it fine for SE846?

EU tends to be higher do to the import tax.You can easily find used pair on this forum in the for sale section. You will find many cables available for reasonable prices on Ebay. If you order cables from custom sellers the prices will be higher.

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #13,243 of 22,945

I bought mine new,off Ebay,for £700, about 1 year ago. I spent a long time,different tips/cables/ etc.,finding the right set up,after using Westone 4R. Tried balanced cables,but have gone back to the Shure cable,BUT, removed the memory wire,leaving about an inch at the connector for strain relief. I could not get on with the memory wire. I use the standard blue filter. These are well worth it for me,and i use them all the time,with HiFi M8 Dac/Amp.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #13,244 of 22,945

That would be correct around the $600-650 region.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #13,245 of 22,945
Another big fan of the LG V10 phone with the 846s. The ESS chip they use gives the 846s improved treble over my HTC M8, & many folks on the V10 thread seem to think this may be the first smartphone with audio good enough to eliminate the need for an external DAC or DAP. The 2 V10 threads :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back