Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #10,591 of 22,946
Apropos of the current discussion about the nozzle insert filters, I came across an interested tidbit on Shure's support pages for the SE846.  According to Shure, the inserts are "high-mid frequency filters" designed to affect the range between 1K-8K to varying degrees, so in other words they shouldn't have much direct impact on the bottom.  But as others have pointed out, most people adjust the overall volume level to compensate and reach a pleasing balance.

... the SE846 removable nozzle and interchangeable high-mid frequency filters allow the listener to decide how much energy they want in the very sensitive high-mid range (about 1k to 8k). 

The additional filters are there to give the listener options in a very critical region.  The human ear is very sensitive in the region between 1k and 8k.  Everyone hears a little differently based on a long list of factors, including what they determine as enough clarity and detail for any particular recording, and therefore the SE846 can be customized to suit personal preference.  We believe the options included with the product represent enough of a difference in the shaping of this sound region to satisfy a very wide range of preferences.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #10,592 of 22,946
They affect the bass once you remove them simply because there is no obstacle between the drivers and your ear(making it cleaner).If anything as vlrn mentioned a couple pages back with treble opening up the volume would be lowered to avoid treble spikes.My sony player is a bass monster with se846 maybe because of impedance and i know exactly how it sounded pre and after mod at 28 volume.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #10,593 of 22,946
After a very brief experiment when I first got mine, I've used the stock blue filters and never looked back.  Apart from two episodes of sinus infections which clogged my ears for a week at a time, it's been sonic bliss ever since.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #10,594 of 22,946
The modded blues work really well with my DX90 with the 2.1.8L0 firmware.  

I think it doesn't really affect bass but we perceive a change because of how the mids and highs are presented.  A kick drum can still be as boomy as before, but you can now hear the pedal hitting the skin (attack) much better for example.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #10,596 of 22,946
Welcome to the cult...i mean the club! 
smile.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #10,597 of 22,946
My right earpiece started to become quieter than the left. I sent it back for warranty and Shure kindly gave me a brand new pair! Having two pairs of each filter now I decided to mod the blues. I used to swear by the whites.

I've noticed the bass impact has increased compared to the whites. Treble is less prominent as well. They definitely sound different, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on them.  I haven't done any formal A/B testing yet but I will post some impressions when I have the time. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #10,598 of 22,946
The fullness increases and the upper range slightly decreases when switching from the whites to the blues.  I find I have to "listen" a bit to hear the uppermost.  But the fullness in everything else seems to make up for that.  To me.

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #10,600 of 22,946
I like my blues and would prefer not to mess with them.  How close to the sound of modded blues will I come by modding the blacks, which I would never use otherwise?

That's a good question. The Blacks, it seems, a rarely used by the members here. I wonder if the same mod applied to them would make the sound better.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #10,605 of 22,946
I found the blacks way to bass-y and modding them, to me, didn't help much.  Remember that the blues are neutral and the blacks and whites are -2.5db and +2.5db.  They really are very different tunings.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back