Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #10,561 of 22,954
I just did the blue filter mod. Only took 35 seconds. They are easy to put back in, provided you don't lose them tiny things.

Figure I would give it a go myself and see if I like the sound. Personally I will be keeping them without the little foam, though I did put the foam away for safe keeping.

Also due to popular praises here I decided to go ahead and get the Westone tips. Went ahead with the Star/Foam True Fit combo Amazon has. Can't wait for them to come in!

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #10,562 of 22,954
Having modded all of the filters because I have two sets, the screen on the bottom certainly effects the sound. I use the white filters and the difference between the white and "full afterburner" (no filter) is substantial. Logic would also agree as there is no other reason the have a screen on the blues or blacks on the bottom as any debris would be caught by the foam at the top yet all three filters have the screen on the bottom.

Hey spook, just so I don't have to search all the posts, since you've modded them all, whats your fav?

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #10,563 of 22,954
Hey spook, just so I don't have to search all the posts, since you've modded them all, whats your fav?

I use the standard white filter for modern progressive music (Riverside, Steven Wilson, Opeth etc) and sometimes the modified blue filter when I am in the mood for strictly classic progressive (Genesis,Yes etc). I find the recordings even the remasters/remixes of the 70's to be brighter.

The modified black is very similar to the modified blue. For bassheads who want a touch more clarity try putting the blue foam into the black filter.

Finally, I have gone filterless at times. Incredible clarity but very fatiguing and you lose some soundstage width.

There is no right answer. I think filter choice is driven more by the type of music you listen to then the technical aspects of each filter.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #10,564 of 22,954
I use the standard white filter for modern progressive music (Riverside, Steven Wilson, Opeth etc) and sometimes the modified blue filter when I am in the mood for strictly classic progressive (Genesis,Yes etc). I find the recordings even the remasters/remixes of the 70's to be brighter.

The modified black is very similar to the modified blue. For bassheads who want a touch more clarity try putting the blue foam into the black filter.

Finally, I have gone filterless at times. Incredible clarity but very fatiguing and you lose some soundstage width.

There is no right answer. I think filter choice is driven more by the type of music you listen to then the technical aspects of each filter.

good response, Thanks

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #10,565 of 22,954

RPE846NSRTS nozzle inserts (3 pairs)

RPE846NZLNSRT-WRM 2 nozzle black (warm)
RPE846NZLNSRT-BRT 2 nozzle white (bright)
RPE846NZLNSRT-bal 2 nozzle blue (balanced)

We also sell the tool if you lost it,

RPE846NZLTOOL

And the nozzle itself + threaded collar.

RPE846NZL

Thanks, hockey_magnet.  With those part numbers I was able to find other sources for the filters.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #10,567 of 22,954
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #10,569 of 22,954
Yeah, I'm finding the same thing.  Who would have guessed the price Shure quoted to Moedawg would be the least expensive option for two plastic tubes? 

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #10,570 of 22,954
One question regarding the blue mod. I removed the grey foam which is at the opposite end of the red ring but I saw another small piece of foam sitted beneath the grey foam that I removed. Should that be removed as well?

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #10,574 of 22,954
  Oh boy, I don't even have my 846's yet and now I'm stressing myself out over modding the filters. This seems so tempting and easy to do, but I always get nervous with this type of thing. I'll probably give my 846's some time without any mods once I get them, buy an extra set of blues just in case, and then take the plunge. Hey, at least it's only around 20 dollars. With this hobby, I'll take it  
tongue.gif

If anyone doing the mod would be willing to take a video of them doing it, that would probably be very helpful to all of us! Just throwing it out there. 

Honestly if you look at the blue filter under a strong light you can easily see the foam piece to remove near the top of the opening. It will be very near the top. You just grab it with a pin and gently raise it out. It has no weight so be careful not to flick it across the room. It is extremely simple to do. I know that because I could do it with my old eyes. Takes a few seconds. If you are uncomfortable doing this then don't. The 846 with the standard blue filter sounds wonderful with the right source. The improvement is only worth the mod if you don't stress over it. You might not even like what the mod does. Takes 30 seconds to put the foam back if you don't like it and have saved the foam carefully. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back