Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #5,239 of 22,960
spook:  Cheers. :)  From what Jaben tell me, Sennheiser's replacement policy is one of replacing faulty items on the spot, whereas Shure require that items be sent away for assessment / replacement / repair.  I will be happy with their service; I can tell based purely on the strength of anecdotal evidence, however I won't be entirely happy with having the vocabulary of Melbourne's B-Class trams as my soundtrack to/from college (varied though said vocabulary is).

hertzsogood:  I have heard good things about Pelican cases.  With the money saved from my tobacco habit* I should be able to pick one up this or next payday.

Edit:  I have just watched the video.  Wuuuuuuuut????!  I am impressed!

I have managed to screw the nozzle back into place, however it is obvious that this will be a recurring issue.  I did indeed manage to get in a good listening session this evening, listening to Abnormal Thought Patterns, and once again I am completely over-awed, particularly by the sumptuous texture of the bass guitar.  A great beer pairing for this experience would be Founders' imperial stout !

* Having no ciggies and no headphones.....? *twitch!!!*

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #5,240 of 22,960
  An update regarding the looseness of the nozzle (left-earpiece): it has exasperated, badly.  Should I be concerned about this?  It is nearly 2100 Melbourne time hence, rather annoyingly, I cannot get them seen to (again) by Jaben Audio (and not before another tram ride into town sans music!).

Obviously they are not withstanding the pressures of daily pocket-based transportation.  I would like to investigate a good case for them that is pocket sized.  I am about to quit the cigarettes hence that will vacate some vital real estate, but what would be a great, pocketable protective case for them?

Stowing them away in my backpack is simply not an option, for they would surely be crushed by my 17" MacBook during transit.

I am guessing that a warranty replacement might be needed; a scary thought.  In the immediate term, however, having been bothered on the phone during the commute home, I was seriously looking forward to sitting down to a quality listening session while I transplant my blog posts from one address to another.

Suffice it to say that I am not a happy camper, but I only have myself to blame since I did not look into investing in adequate protection sooner.

In addition to the cases pictured, the Pelican 1010 micro is smaller than any of those models and just the headphones fit nicely. However all Pelican and Otterbox cases are fairly thick so while the 1010 is sized ok to fit in some pockets, depending on how tight the pants are, could be a little uncomfortble
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #5,242 of 22,960

I have a Pelican 1010 micro which is a fair bit smaller than any of these and just the headphones fit perfect. But all these cases are a little thick to put in pants pockets unless the pants are very baggy

Yes I have the micro but I keep it in my back pack. In the last six years living in Hong Kong I have never left my flat with out a back pack even when I go clubbing I have that back pack.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #5,243 of 22,960
  An update regarding the looseness of the nozzle (left-earpiece): it has exasperated, badly.  Should I be concerned about this?  It is nearly 2100 Melbourne time hence, rather annoyingly, I cannot get them seen to (again) by Jaben Audio (and not before another tram ride into town sans music!).

Obviously they are not withstanding the pressures of daily pocket-based transportation.  I would like to investigate a good case for them that is pocket sized.  I am about to quit the cigarettes hence that will vacate some vital real estate, but what would be a great, pocketable protective case for them?

Stowing them away in my backpack is simply not an option, for they would surely be crushed by my 17" MacBook during transit.

I am guessing that a warranty replacement might be needed; a scary thought.  In the immediate term, however, having been bothered on the phone during the commute home, I was seriously looking forward to sitting down to a quality listening session while I transplant my blog posts from one address to another.

Suffice it to say that I am not a happy camper, but I only have myself to blame since I did not look into investing in adequate protection sooner.

I just use the Shure EASQRZIPCASE Hard-sided Square Zippered Carrying Case.  It's small, very sturdy, and I like how it's exclusive to the SE846, unless you purchase one separately, from here.  A couple of other places sell it for a dollar or two less, but I do not know if they have them in stock or how long it would take to ship.  And the link I provided will usually have at least one vendor that has the case in stock.

Good luck with getting your SE846 repaired/replaced.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #5,244 of 22,960
  If can one would easily buy both and a AK240 if they can. Why go for a $1500 CIEM if it doesnt sound better then what you already have?

Not everybody needs to invest an arm and a leg to be satisfied ! everything rely on your ears ' sensitivity and preferences, sometimes I still found a Koss Porta Pro sounding better than some high end cans .

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5,245 of 22,960

Not everybody needs to invest an arm and a leg to be satisfied ! everything rely on your ears ' sensitivity and preferences, sometimes I still found a Koss Porta Pro sounding better than some high end cans .

+1

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #5,246 of 22,960

I totally agree with you. Just cause it cost more does not mean you will get what you are after. But what I was trying to explain if one makes $350,00 a year or say $1,000,000 Dollars a year then buying 5 top earphones, 5 most expensive cables, 5 most expensive amps and 5 top DAPs will be nothing for him. Well unless he is supporting a wife, kids, family members and bought a huge house and over priced private schooling. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,247 of 22,960

I don't have this transparent plastic case as mine is Asian version

You should still have the black square zipper case. Quite nice too, better than old style.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #5,248 of 22,960
  I totally agree with you. Just cause it cost more does not mean you will get what you are after. But what I was trying to explain if one makes $350,00 a year or say $1,000,000 Dollars a year then buying 5 top earphones, 5 most expensive cables, 5 most expensive amps and 5 top DAPs will be nothing for him. Well unless he is supporting a wife, kids, family members and bought a huge house and over priced private schooling. 

I'm agree here too~~

You should still have the black square zipper case. Quite nice too, better than old style.

Yeah compared to my old 535 oval case the square case is way better, but just don't know why Shure don't include the transparent hard case for the asian version.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #5,249 of 22,960
The SE846 black square case is one of most stylish non-drybox case around.

In regards to dry-box I think customised otter box 1000 is most practical. *just* about perfect room inside.

Still have the Heir Audio branded Otterbox 1000. Gave buyer of my 4.ai+ my Peli 1010 with foam. Peli more bulky. Then I guess you are using a man or gym bag regardless of either one.

The SE846 branded clear dry box (in western market packaging) is nice, but like Westone deluxe case is bigger then necessary?

Westone monitor vault is better sizng also but some Amazon reviews question cracking?

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #5,250 of 22,960
  I'm agree here too~~

Yeah compared to my old 535 oval case the square case is way better, but just don't know why Shure don't include the transparent hard case for the asian version.

That is a little interesting...but the transparent hard case is too big for my needs though.  The black square case is so streamlined with integrated 'hardness' to it, you just can't go wrong.  But I could see how the transparent case could be useful if you are lugging around a boutique DAP/amp and such... 
regular_smile .gif

I actually 'lost' my case for a few days, and I was looking everywhere for it...come to find out it was in my fiance's purse.  Maybe I put it in there inadvertently...  But yeah, that showed just how much I missed and took that little worker case for granted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back