Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #5,224 of 22,960
  Oh..I am going to own the AK240 one day just because... :)  

You should!  It's a great player.  But that HUGO....mmm mm mmm...
basshead.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #5,225 of 22,960
I have a 1p2 with the original silver cable - there is a hell of a lot of silver in the person as it is a thick cable. I thoroughly enjoy the sound with my meager OCC Silver Tralucent cable - I have covertly spoken to a number of 1p2/silver owners and they are happy with the performance, but we do need to sneak around in the dead of night to talk about it in order to compare notes.... 
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,226 of 22,960
You should!  It's a great player.  But that HUGO....mmm mm mmm... :basshead:

I agree..for sound quality wise, the Hugo is the champion of the portable world out there as far as I am aware of and that includes the ak240. The Hugo sound quality is so good that I started selling all my portable amps and dac .. there is not a need for them after hugo...I kept the ak240 as it still very convenient to carry around beside I simply love the sound.

I may be selling my 1p2 soon. Keep a look out on the sales forum..

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #5,227 of 22,960
I agree..for sound quality wise, the Hugo is the champion of the portable world out there as far as I am aware of and that includes the ak240. The Hugo sound quality is so good that I started selling all my portable amps and dac .. there is not a need for them after hugo...I kept the ak240 as it still very convenient to carry around beside I simply love the sound.

I may be selling my 1p2 soon. Keep a look out on the sales forum..

Hugo can be put into a jean pocket? If not then I have to hold it in my hand along with Phone?

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,228 of 22,960
Hugo can be put into a jean pocket? If not then I have to hold it in my hand along with Phone?

The Hugo can be put in a big jeans pocket (you can see the photo I took of the Hugo relative to my hand in my LA Head-Fi meet impression thread), cargo pants or shorts.

The Hugo isn't the lightest device in the world, so having it strapped to your phone would be an option. Or just keep the Hugo in your pocket and run the lightning/mini USB connection to your phone and have that out and about if you want. What I do when I go hiking is I have a external battery in my pocket or Camelbak connected via lighting cable to my iPhone, that's on my holster or I'm using it to coordinate my path, change songs, etc.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #5,229 of 22,960
  I'll break it down. This is listening on a $2000 Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC+AMP and my set of ears (everybody has a different frequency response)

Bass:
Shure SE846 easily wins. Much better quality and quantity bass. I had a very hard time monitoring the bass with the HD800. 
Mids:
Vocals can sound harsh and sibilant on the HD800. The Shure SE846 wins.
Treble:
On anything but classical music, I find the HD800 treble problematic. The Shure SE846 wins.
Soundstage:
The HD800 wins, but it's not a beating quite surprisingly. 
Overal sound:
The HD800 sounds thin, bright, harsh and sibilant while the Shure SE846 sounds bigger and has none of the issues of the HD800. The Shure SE846 wins.
Sound Quality:
Can't give an opinion on this. They both sound very fast, detailed and accurate to me. Which one is the best, I can't say. They are both good. (The difference between the HD650 and the HD800 was quite big to me though.)

Conclusion:
Taking all points into account, the Shure SE846 + HDVD 800 wins over the HD800 + HDVD800 for me since I'm an all-round music lover.  If you strictly listen to classical music, I feel the HD800 is the better audio device with HDVD 800. 

These 2 headphone & IEM is just totally different sound signature, IMO I wouldn't compare the HD800 with 846, just like you comparing a luxury comfort Bently with a high performance Lamborghini. They both are suitable for different types of music, when you listen to bass like music like pop & R&B is just wow in the 846 but when you listen to classical or jazz or some soft music the HD800 makes you unbelievable. IMO NO just no way that the 846 mids & high can wins the HD800, but the bass is clearly the upper hand for the 846.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #5,230 of 22,960
An update regarding the looseness of the nozzle (left-earpiece): it has exasperated, badly.  Should I be concerned about this?  It is nearly 2100 Melbourne time hence, rather annoyingly, I cannot get them seen to (again) by Jaben Audio (and not before another tram ride into town sans music!).

Obviously they are not withstanding the pressures of daily pocket-based transportation.  I would like to investigate a good case for them that is pocket sized.  I am about to quit the cigarettes hence that will vacate some vital real estate, but what would be a great, pocketable protective case for them?

Stowing them away in my backpack is simply not an option, for they would surely be crushed by my 17" MacBook during transit.

I am guessing that a warranty replacement might be needed; a scary thought.  In the immediate term, however, having been bothered on the phone during the commute home, I was seriously looking forward to sitting down to a quality listening session while I transplant my blog posts from one address to another.

Suffice it to say that I am not a happy camper, but I only have myself to blame since I did not look into investing in adequate protection sooner.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #5,231 of 22,960
  An update regarding the looseness of the nozzle (left-earpiece): it has exasperated, badly.  Should I be concerned about this?  It is nearly 2100 Melbourne time hence, rather annoyingly, I cannot get them seen to (again) by Jaben Audio (and not before another tram ride into town sans music!).

Obviously they are not withstanding the pressures of daily pocket-based transportation.  I would like to investigate a good case for them that is pocket sized.  I am about to quit the cigarettes hence that will vacate some vital real estate, but what would be a great, pocketable protective case for them?

Stowing them away in my backpack is simply not an option, for they would surely be crushed by my 17" MacBook during transit.

I am guessing that a warranty replacement might be needed; a scary thought.  In the immediate term, however, having been bothered on the phone during the commute home, I was seriously looking forward to sitting down to a quality listening session while I transplant my blog posts from one address to another.

Suffice it to say that I am not a happy camper, but I only have myself to blame since I did not look into investing in adequate protection sooner.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #5,232 of 22,960
Black Label,

I am really sorry to hear that but if you have to have them replaced at least Shure has great customer service. When my original set, a first batch, failed I was able to get a new pair from Shure in a week. I hope Jaben will replace them.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #5,233 of 22,960
I agree with your Shure impressions, and just got my 846, and feel addicted, to top sound in a small package, compared to my full-sized closed and open phones.  I'm the process of evaluating a cable to use over the long haul; and while i don't want to egress into brands, assuming we are talking high end, do you think SPC or Silver as you have.  My thoughts are that Silver would best handle the power and breadth coming from the 846s, whereas SPC tries to improve or retain bass and mids, and treble that the 846 already has natively.  Silver would be more of a match to the signature of the 846, but improve efficiency of signal, which is what you are paying for?
What are your thoughts I would like to know!  Thanks!

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #5,235 of 22,960
I agree with your Shure impressions, and just got my 846, and feel addicted, to top sound in a small package, compared to my full-sized closed and open phones.  I'm the process of evaluating a cable to use over the long haul; and while i don't want to egress into brands, assuming we are talking high end, do you think SPC or Silver as you have.  My thoughts are that Silver would best handle the power and breadth coming from the 846s, whereas SPC tries to improve or retain bass and mids, and treble that the 846 already has natively.  Silver would be more of a match to the signature of the 846, but improve efficiency of signal, which is what you are paying for?
What are your thoughts I would like to know!  Thanks!

I own both an SPC and silver litz cable and I agree the silver is the better match with the 8s. It brings greater overall clarity and PRaT to the sonic signature.

I recommend Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge. Great prices and build quality with a fast turn around time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back